McConnelsville/Route 555/78/377 Ride today

lemosley01

I went down to McConellesville and road 'the Triangle' as I call it - 555 to 78 to 377 to 555 back to 78.

All I can say is WOW. 555 between route 37 and 78 was simply awesome. No gravel whatsoever, and elevation changes out the ying yang (some VERY severe, like a 2nd gear hill climb) and probably 5-8 90 degree left/right curves (marked 20 mph) and a number of others marked 35 (or unmarked at all). Most of these turns were cambered properly as well, so you really ended up leaned over.

78 was also GREAT - some very fast sweepers as well as a couple of hard turns and the road is newly paved.

377 would have been more fun but there patches of gravel kicked up by passing vehicles. Otherwise the road was in excellent shape and offered a lot of turns.

55 Between 377 and 78 had some gravel on it but numerous elevation changes and curves. Because of the gravel and the fact I am not familiar with it I couldn't really attack it. Most of the curves were somewhat blind (due to hills and trees), and almost none were marked with 'suggested speeds'. If you ever take this portion of 555, be VERY careful because there were a couple of blind, unmarked 90 degree turns - you come over a hill and it was into an immediate 90 degree. If I had been going at a decent rate, that would have gotten very ugly.

I left my house at about 10:30 (from Georgesville Road) and arrived in the area at probably 12:30 or so. I went through Lancaster then went off 37 through Bremen and picked up Marietta Road (which was fairly nice although it too had a lot of gravel in places), then went to 13 and got back on 37 which I followed to 555. Spent about 2 hours riding in the area and took a break at Burr Oak to eat then headed home and got back about 4:45.

BTW, these roads are two lane country roads - the threat of police enforcement is pretty minimal because it's all farmland, and, frankly, they are twisty enough that you really won't have time to break the speed limit that often.

I'm sore but happy. Total round trip was probably 250 miles.

If anyone wants to go down in the future, I'm up for it.