A few Z28 questions....

Bam

Looking at getting a 4th gen z28. Any year better than the other?

Also, how strong is the auto tranny in these cars? I would like a manual, but autos seem more abundant.

What should I worry about with high miles? I'm only looking to spend $5k I find them with like 125k or so, is this really bad or what?

Did they change anything major in this car over the years? Power outputs the same?

I'll think of other things I forgot later, but that should get me thinking.

Thanks

Matt

you want a 98 or newer with the ls1 motor they make more power, but good luck finding one for less than 8k.

with the ls1 motor the best years are 01-02

most ls1 cars make around 300 rwhp stock. where as the lt1 car is only rated at 285 crank hp

1/4 miles et

ls1: 13.6

lt1: 14.5

you want a 98 or newer with the ls1 motor they make more power, but good luck finding one for less than 8k.

most ls1 cars make around 300 rwhp stock. where as the lt1 car is only rated at 285 crank hp

1/4 miles et

13.6 with 300hp? you must suck at driving.

Guest racinbird
^^yup, my 00 went 13.4's @ 107.xx with a $50.00 air lid only, street tires limit the ls1's. Talk to Wease on this site, I belive he went 12.6-12.7 with DR's and lid only

Damn, I can't believe they are that quick being so heavy. Do both motors respond to spray about the same? What high mileage concerns should I look out for?

thanks

they arent as heavy as you think

1/4 miles et

There are plenty of fast LT1's, and they are also a good basis to build on. Yes, the LS1 has a couple significant advantages (block choices and head choices). But your average LT1 in good running order will put down 250-260RWHP stock, and can sneak into the high 13's bone stock. The fastest stock style suspension LS1 is only about a tenth quicker than the LT1 as well.

As far as years go, 95 is the good year to get. Vented Opti w/ OBD-I PCM. :)

For $5K you will most likely be looking at '93-'97, with the LT1. Depending on what you want to do, I would suggest '96-'97 with the vented optispark. Less prone to having trouble unlike the non-vented. Cheaper editing software is just now coming out for OBD-II ('96-'97), so no need to convert to OBD-I to do any editing.

My car put down 271 h.p. and 301 lb-ft, completely stock. Link:http://gozips.uakron.edu/~mas4/SS/dyno.jpg I have consistent missing up around 5K, with out it would be a little bit higher, just by looking at the graph. Also running rich, 12.2-12.0 A/F. Although they are programmed to run rich during the enrichment mode.

LT1's are still comparable to LS1's, just need a little help. Good luck.:D

they arent as heavy as you think

3300-3400lbs isn't heavy to you for a sports car? I mean its not horrible but ain't good either.

I'd like to be mid 13's NA and then 12's with spray. Definitely seems attainable with the lt1. If anyone knows of any 95-97 z28s forsale around 5grand, lemme know, ready to buy in a heartbeat.

Thanks guys, also what are some basic upgrades you recommend? Obviously i/h/e but what kinds, where from, etc etc.

later

ever push one???????????

now im off to read the rest of the thread.

pm sent bam

headers,LT4 KM,ORY,Catback,CAI,Heads,Cam etc both are great platforms and hte LS1 enjoys 25 ~MPG

My LT1 enjoys 27 MPG on the highway, with headers and no cats.:D

3300-3400lbs isn't heavy to you for a sports car? I mean its not horrible but ain't good either.

nope, seems about right for a pony car. Now 3600-3800lb 05 GT's are HEAVY!!!

and nitrous bird said LS-1 cars are only a tenth faster than LT-1's, no way. one traps around 99-101 stock, right? the other on the same day would go 105+

any driver is going to be a few tenths faster with an ls-1 car.

WTF is this, a mustang owner bitching about camaros. If they weren't so damn hard to work on, i would think of actually buying one.

Guest mudbutt
and nitrous bird said LS-1 cars are only a tenth faster than LT-1's, no way. one traps around 99-101 stock, right? the other on the same day would go 105+

He was talking about the fastest modded cars on stock style suspension.

Should be easy with an LT1 car' date=' my old 94 Z28 went 13.1 @ 106 with full exhaust and a cai.[/quote']

that seems awfully fast for those two mods

and joe i thought you weren't a proponent of the vented optis?

bam down off of stringtown road and 104 there are 2 lt1 camaro's for right around 4 grand, dont know anything about them but they look like there in good shape

bam down off of stringtown road and 104 there are 2 lt1 camaro's for right around 4 grand, dont know anything about them but they look like there in good shape

Sweet, thanks for the headsup, I'm gonna go check them out this afternoon.

What's optispark btw?

and joe i thought you weren't a proponent of the vented optis?

Well, they have a couple of advantages. One being if you want to run a double roller timing chain, you HAVE to have one. Don't have to grind the front pin down on an aftermarket cam w/ the vented opti.

These cars can get heavy. Tinman and I weighed my car at Norwalk. 1/2 tank of gas, sporting the ET Street on Centerlines out back (about 10-15 lbs lighter than my street rims/tires), and the car without anyone in it was still 3640. Mind you that the only weight reduction on the car is !AC, !Rear Seat, !Spare tire, and I've got a HEAVY 6 point cage, nitrous bottle, very heavy subframe connectors, heavier than stock 12-bolt rear end, stereo system, etc. I think the car was in the low 3400 range stock. You also have to remember there are a TON of things on these cars you can do to them to drop weight......I just haven't done any of them.

You also have to remember there are a TON of things on these cars you can do to them to drop weight......I just haven't done any of them.

So then what do you call removing the AC, spare, and rear seat then?

And by TON of things to drop weight what do you mean? Basic stuff that applies to all cars or no, because it seems like you've removed the things everyone thinks about, what else could I do to drop weight, I don't need much since it'll only be a track rat/weekend car.

So then what do you call removing the AC, spare, and rear seat then?

And by TON of things to drop weight what do you mean? Basic stuff that applies to all cars or no, because it seems like you've removed the things everyone thinks about, what else could I do to drop weight, I don't need much since it'll only be a track rat/weekend car.

Well, the spare was replaced w/ a nitrous bottle, AC was just in the way, and rear seats can't be used w/ the cage.

Tubular K-member, tubular A-arms, tubular (or just pulled) front nose cone support, lightweight brakes (several to choose from), tons of unneeded stuff under the dash, stock seats are heavy, fiberglass hood, door bars (those are 20lbs right there), typical wheel/tire stuff, lightweight glass, lightweight battery (such as a Dynabat), carpet padding above gas tank, and a bunch of other things that aren't coming to mind.

Fully stripped, these cars can get down to 2800-2900 lbs, but you've gotta spend the cash, and remove a lot of stuff to get there. And that's not using any exotic body parts, and still on a stock-style suspension.