How do you calculate shipping costs?

RedRocket1647545505

I'm selling one metric shit ton of stuff on a car website, and not surprisingly, people keep asking for shipping prices, as they should be. My question to you guys is, how do I go about calculating shipping costs, without actually taking the item to, say, the UPS store, and having them figure it out?

I'm not even sure what to use as a baseline, as I've never actually shipped anything out. I would assume they take into account weight and size, right?

Is there any easy way to go about this? :confused:

first, use USPS. the post office. theyre usually 1/2 as cheap, 2x as fast, and you can still get delivery confirmation and insurance. you can go to USPS, put in the weight (approx will get you a close estimate) and go from there. put it this way. i had to ship a set of coilovers (heavy as fuck), UPS said 70$, 1 week, USPS 40$, 2-3days garunteed

USPS tracking is really bad though. I have never been able to track anything shipped USPS. Most of the time USPS doesn't update there tracking info till days after it is delivered. People like to be able to track there shippments when they buy stuff on line. Well at least I do. And I am willing to spend a little bit more to have it shippped UPS. You can go to UPS website and put in the size of the box, the weight, and the zip code you are shipping to and it will give you an estimate. You got to tell them also if you are scheduling a home pick up or going to a UPS shipping center. I would add a little bit more to that cost and tell them it is an estimate for the shipping.

Guest MissTypeS

State both options/prices with the benefits of each and let the buyer decide. Any delivery company (DHL, UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc) will have a basic calculator for shipping costs. Either notify the buyer that the shipping fee is an estimate based on the website, or physically take the item to the chosen shipper to find out the costs and disclose them in the auction/post.

Just my .02.