Unique things about your car(s)

nurkvinny

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll only comment about my '86 Mustang GT:

1. First year for the legendary EFI 5.0 in a Mustang

2. Crappy E6 heads rob it of 25 horsepower, a problem which is fixed the following year

2. Last year for the "Four Eyed" look and older interior.

3. Best looking Mustang ever, in my opinion. With the Four Eyes and flat black hood... :cool:

Karl @ Active Autowerke

George @ ICS

Nick G @ Turbo Tech

Emanage will work....

The problem isn't the engine management, it's the gateway used to connect to the engine management. A few have cracked it, but are riding out their investments, like woah.

I forgot about ICS, they are doing amazing tuning with the Technik S/C kits. I actually haven't heard of turbo tech before. And of course AA is always good. And sorry for the stupidity, but I'm not great with computers, what do you mean gateway used to connect to the engine management?

Also man, what kind of car do you have? M3?

I forgot about ICS, they are doing amazing tuning with the Technik S/C kits. I actually haven't heard of turbo tech before. And of course AA is always good. And sorry for the stupidity, but I'm not great with computers, what do you mean gateway used to connect to the engine management?

Also man, what kind of car do you have? M3?

The DME's that power the BMW motors are sorta tuner friendly. They store their information in seperate EEPROM (timing tables, fuel mapping, constants, etc) and can be removed and downloaded, disassembled and remapped. This sucks becuase you have to "chip" the ecu and can cause alot of headaches if not done perfectly.

Karl @ AA and Nick G both have the ability to flash DME through the the ODBII port, saving alot of potential time in troubleshooting and remapping. Connecting to the car (via gateway) and enabling the transfer of information into the ecu's flash memory without having to pull the chip, and flash it using a programmer.

George @ ICS pretty much consults Nick G and Karl to to do Remote Tuning. I hear Conforti is still working to sell his DME editor sometime...but that is just a dream from years ago.

I'm no stranger to M cars ;)

My Mustangs 1 of 27 Dark Sable(aka crap brown) 2 drs built in 88.My wife says thats because no one wants a crap brown Mustang.My IS is that last year for the 300,another big who gives a crap.MY 1969 GS350 Cali is one of 3574.

where to start:

-about 2000 made

-1. Throttle body diameter increased to 62mm. The larger throttle body allowed better airflow which was needed in order to meet the higher demand for air placed on the intake whenever the engine crossed over into the VTEC range.

2. A single port intake manifold replaced the dual-stage manifold in the GS-R The single port design allowed much better flow during the higher RPMs at the cost of having the torque peak occur at a very high 7000 RPMs.

3. The valves were upgraded in order to increase airflow efficiency and and keep up with the higher demand placed on them by the fuel injection system. The angle of the valve seat opening was tightened from the original 60 degrees to a much smoother 45 degrees. In order to deliver more fuel, bigger valves were required. Bigger valves meant more weight and unwanted load on the valve train, so Honda shaved the valve cone to it's limit, and reduced the valve shaft width was reduced from 5.5mm to 4.6mm. The larger valves end up being 12% lighter than GS-R's valves as well as improved airflow because of the thinner valve stems. The ports were also improved as each Type R engine is hand ported and polished by Honda's best and most skilled engineers. This allowed the port radius to exactly match the valve seat face allowing for almost no restriction of air flow.

4. The valve springs were changed from cylindrical to flat, and made of dual-bound springs. This allowed for reliable spring performance throughout the RPM range up to the 8400 RPM redline without having to alter the height of the spring.

5. The camshaft lobes were changed to give the valves better lift and increase peak horsepower. The intake valve lift distance was increased from 10.6mm to 11.5mm. The exhaust valve lift distance was also increased from 9.4mm to 10.5mm. To meet the higher demands of the increased valve lift, the valve timing was also changed. The intake was advanced from 10 degrees to 15 degrees after piston apex and from 40 degrees to 45 degrees before piston base. The exhaust timing was also advanced from 40 to 45 degrees ABDC and from 7 to 10 degrees ATDC. These changes caused the valves to be open for a longer amount of time, allowing a much larger volume of air to enter the combustion chamber. Because of the increase in cam lift and duration, the VTEC point was bumped up to 5700 RPMs in order to take full advantage of the low speed cam lobe and minimize intake velocity loss during the transition to the high cam lobe.

6. Forged aluminum, pent-roof type pistons were used in order to safely increase the compression ratio from 10.0:1 to 10.6:1. The piston skirt was made lighter to reduce load on the engine. Lightening the piston in such a way can cause the neck to rock back and forth when a small, uneven amount of friction is applied to the piston. To prevent this, a 5 micron Molybdenum coating was applied to the piston skirts to reduce friction. Also, oil injectors were installed into the underside of the piston to improve piston-pin lubrication.

7. The connecting rods were made lighter and more rigid. There is a 33% improvement in their surface machining allowing for almost no weight difference between them. All contact surfaces are also mirror finished in the same fashion as professional race cars. The rods assembled by hand onto the crankshaft using a custom micrometer to take into account stretching of the connecting rod bolt. This allows for a 38% reduction in bolt fastening variation. No machine can achieve this kind of precision and is required to ensure there are no dangerous vibrations during high engine speeds.

8. The crankshaft is also made with highly rigid steel, increasing it's fatigue limit 25% over the GS-R's crankshaft. Two additional balancing weights were added to create a fully counter-weighted (8 weight) crankshaft improving high-speed balance by 20%. The crankshaft and connecting rods must assembled together by hand in order to maintain such precision.

9. A highly rigid aluminum die-cast engine block stiffener has been equipped between the engine block and transmission mount. This is necessary to keep the engine and transmission from undergoing unusual strain under extreme driving conditions such as auto-crossing or track racing.

The above mentioned changes were done on the engine's interior, there were also a couple modifications to the engine on it's exterior as well. the Type R comes stock with a cold air induction system, something EVERY import enthusiast knows must be equipped onto a tuned engine. A smoother flowing tapered exhaust manifold was also designed for the Type R. This design is almost impossible to create on mass-produced engines because of the manufacturing time and cost that is required to create a one-piece exhaust manifold with no sharp edges to disrupt the airflow. The piping in the exhaust system was increased from the varying 48.6mm-50.8mm diameter to a full 57.2mm diameter all the way through. The larger exhaust piping combined with a a more free-flowing muffler allowed for a 30% increase in exhaust flow efficiency.

As if you can't tell already, the B18C specR engine is quite an achievement. As mentioned above the valve ports get a hand port and polish job by Honda's best engineers. Not only that, in order to maintain the precision and flawlessness of the engine, engineers also assemble parts of the engine block by hand, assuring everything stays according to exact spec. This process is a painstaking one and limits production of Type R engines to only 25 per day. No mass production here, this engine is going to be put into a limited edition vehicle. The USDM spec B18C5 is able to put out 195HP @ 8000RPM and 130 ft-lbs. torque @ 7000RPM.

-and this is just the engine it continues into the chasis

One of only 3500 35th Ann. Editions made, only a fraction of them unique satin silver

Clear sidemarkes, fake roush hoodscoop, roush spoiler, 17" wheels, chrome accented interior, special badges, csvt intake manifolds/tb, slow as all hell, wait, maybe the last one's not unique?

It's rare to see another satin silver cougar, i've only seen another one once in Ohio.

well the 2000 have the option of power windows. But when buying that option the factory forgets to tell you that its power in the front and manual in the rear cause the crash bar is to big to fit a motor down there. Mopar now makes a kid for 350.00.

Now all my Shelbys. 87 GLHS a little thing with that is the spare tire cover came with an exact picture of the GLHS with the Ground effects where the stock chargers showed a different picture. they had a specific steering wheels, seats, shifter, wheels, brakes, ground effects, sunroof, and a shit ton others.

same with my 86 glhs, 89 csx-vnt and 85 glht.

first year for the gt to come back 1982 best looking gt evar. no power windows or locks no ac just nice and light. worst 4spd tranny ever produced

67 cougar first year for the cougars. hide away head lights sequential turn signals and a washer fluid pump that you had to pump with your foot

71 maverick nothing fancy but has rear window defrost, worked like a hair drier small heating element and a small blower= warm air on window

27 model t canvis (sp) roof and wood floors

69 impala factory freak 300hp 350 turbo 350 tranny 12 bolt rear no posi and freeway gears manual drum brakes at all four corners and dealer installed a/c the car should have had power assisted brakes turbo400 tranny and some kind of posi and gear with the ordered engine. it does have some real cool factory torque straps on the engine mounts. these were installed at the dealership due to engine mount failures. i guess gm was tired of replacing fan shrouds.

I'm holding 30 psi on the stock block head and headgasket. that makes me special right?? Oh and my car came straight from the factory with weight reduction. Every day it sits, it rusts off another 1-2 ounces. soon I will be honda fast..power to weight bitches.

First car to travel to the moon and back.

Can make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

Cost of ownership doubles every year.

Able to leap small buildings in a single bound.

Commonly mistaken for Celica Supras, 944's and other cars that have 4 wheels and 2 doors.

That's probably about it.

CJ