highway patrol increase + motorcycles

PeteS40

I rarely need to drive that segment unless I'm going to Tuttle, but if more cops equals fewer assholes with cellphones to their ears, going 90+ mph and cutting across 3 lanes of traffic, I'm all for it.

My coworker, however, should probably stay off 33 and 42 for the next few months. Anybody know how I can sneak a govenor on his throttle before he gets locked up?

This is true.

Anyway, I love the idea of having more cops. It'll make things safer. Sure, I might get more tickets, but, hey, I choose to speed, so, if that happens, then I deserve it.

I disagree the extra police will be generating revenue for Franklin county by pulling over speeders (not making anywhere safe unless the poor bastard they pulled over is a felon). I'm Pro police

I would rather they spend some of there budget beefing up w/ cops who's primary jobs are catching bad guys than catching Biff the cubical rat who is late for work and going 5 to 10 over the speed limit. Impress me put more bodies in cruiser who patrol the city streets.

I disagree the extra police will be generating revenue for Franklin county by pulling over speeders (not making anywhere safe unless the poor bastard they pulled over is a felon). I'm Pro police

I would rather they spend some of there budget beefing up w/ cops who's primary jobs are catching bad guys than catching Biff the cubical rat who is late for work and going 5 to 10 over the speed limit. Impress me put more bodies in cruiser who patrol the city streets.

Part of the reason the OSHP is moving into the city is so that the Columbus Police can focus on putting more people in the back.. remember OSHP only listens to Emergency broadcast not "Car 32 we need you to go break up a bar fight".. these officers will be strictly tickets and laser's going buck wild.. i belive its a good move and will work its dues... so in all this move is a two way benifit.. it is only a Test soo this summer will be a project to see if it continues...

This is true.

Anyway, I love the idea of having more cops. It'll make things safer. Sure, I might get more tickets, but, hey, I choose to speed, so, if that happens, then I deserve it.

Not completely true. I sometimes feel like people drive like asshats with intermediate supervision. Every time I'm driving normally in the middle lane and go around a corner to see a cop, the ricer fuck in the left lane that was just passing me doing 85 slams on his brakes and fucking cuts me off. If you ask me, they cause a lot of trouble; now, whether its worth the crime prevention, only time will tell.

This is true.

I love the idea of more cops, but not just to be sitting out writing tickets.

I love the idea of cops cracking down on bad areas in town, and doing something about drugs being sold on the street, break in's, violence, etc. Obviously that's not a money maker for the city, but we have enough people writing tickets on the freeways as it is!

They say it is for public safety. I don't feel safer with people doing the speed limit vs 10-15 over; I feel safer knowing some crack head with a gun is off the street. I blame this on administration telling the cops what to do, not the cops themselves.

Ohio State Highway Patrol = Traffic Cops thats all they are. They cant do anything (unless they see it happen) and they do accident investigation. Thats why its so hard to get out of a ticket from them they know the traffic laws inside and out and cant do anythign else to fight crime, so they think if your driving without a front plate or no plate light its a capital offense. We do not need more Staties we need more deputys,cpd or whoever just no more damn TICKET JOCKEYS

I wonder how much a ticket would be if you were going 200mph. :eek:

It'd be worth bronzing.

Points taken. I'd still contend that the increase in police will, all things being equal, result in greater safety, insofar as speeding, which is unsafe (for obvious reasons) would be reduced. Maybe, though, the increases in police will not, in fact, reduce speeding, though, in theory, they should; if that were to be the case, then I would openly concede that you are correct, TJ, and I'm wrong. However, if I were to be wrong, then the world would implode, and who wants that??? :)

Not completely true. I sometimes feel like people drive like asshats with intermediate supervision. Every time I'm driving normally in the middle lane and go around a corner to see a cop, the ricer fuck in the left lane that was just passing me doing 85 slams on his brakes and fucking cuts me off. If you ask me, they cause a lot of trouble; now, whether its worth the crime prevention, only time will tell.

What's not completely true? That increases in police result in increased safety? I think that's what you were referring to. Like I alluded to previously, I'm willing to concede that, in reality, the increases in police may not be sufficient enough to result in appreciable increases in safety. If, though, you're implying that the presence of police actually results in less safety (i.e., it paradoxically results in recklessness or similar stuff - like people slamming on brakes and cutting people off because they see a cop - that causes the world to be a less safe place), then I would have to ponder that one for a while, given that it's an interesting take on things and I'm inclined to agree with you to a certain extent.

If, though, you're implying that the presence of police actually results in less safety (i.e., it paradoxically results in recklessness or similar stuff - like people slamming on brakes and cutting people off because they see a cop - that causes the world to be a less safe place), then I would have to ponder that one for a while, given that it's an interesting take on things and I'm inclined to agree with you to a certain extent.

Yeah, I know its a confusing concept. Ever since I got my license back from my suspension, I haven't gone over 70; after driving with privileges for 3 months, you get used to 65 being the fastest you'll ever go, and 70 feels like so much of a stretch. So I start to notice these things more as I'm no longer amongst the fastest percentile of cars on the road. I almost got squashed by a Mercedes ML350 this winter because on the last major right turn of I670W as it gets to Gahanna, there is often a CHP officer sitting under the bridge tagging people as they come around the bend in the left lane at 85. The Benz almost destroyed me, purely out of avoidance maneuvers. I know its probably a rare occurance, but it really made me think about "what if this was around every bend on every highway"

I do agree that a presence of law enforcement generally makes things safer; however, as in all things in our natural world, there are always unintended consequences; the burden of intelligence and choice provides an infinite number of unforseen scenarios that simply throwing grants at police cannot solve.

What you said got me thinking about the times that I've been in rush hour traffic, seen a cop is pulled over in the median, and noticed that traffic gets bottlenecked because everyone starts slamming on their brakes as soon as they see the cop. At those times, I've thought to myself, "You know, that cop being there is probably causing more problems than he's solving." Certainly, it could be argued that having all those people jamming on the brakes is less safe than allowing everyone to cruise along in rush hour traffic at 10 to 15 mph over the speed limit.

John, you got pulled over for 32 in a 25 because you were in a subdivision in New Albany, where they have that raging rate of crime, kind of like where I live. ;) You wouldn't have gotten touched if you were in Columbus, Reynoldsburg, etc..

It was a c-bus officer. :mad::mad::mad::mad: It was in the old slobra which wasn't exactly quiet. Only time I see NA cops are on Thompson and around the country club, they need to protect the 2 million dollar homes.