Which engine would you go with?

Bam

Say you've got a street legal go-kart, which your goal weight is between 1000lbs-1200lbs running and driving.

This will be rear engine, RWD.

There's a few choices in drivetrains, but keep in mind, cost and availability are very important.

These are in no specific order...

1) 1000cc or larger bike setup

2) 4cylinder, (ecotec, zetec, honda, etc)

3) 6cylinder, (3100v6, 3800v6, l67 series II, 3.0l ford v6, etc)

4) v8, (ford 302, ls1, etc)

Now obviously some of these choices are much more expensive than others, and will have better results, but honestly, in a car that only weighs 1000lbs, 200whp will be very nice, right?

So I'm looking for suggestions on possibly other drivetrains to go with, or reasons why one of these are better than another.

I'm considering using a larger engine because with the newer motors they really don't weigh much more than a regular 4cylinder, and would have much more power, but even a stock ls1/t56 would be INSANE in this car, it would be stupid. If I do a 4cylinder, I'd probably choose one of the most available cars in the local yards, and just spray it or something. I personally think an 3800SC would be badass, good power and that blower whine would be a great touch.

I've been scoping out some junkyards recently with some friends, and we're ready to pull something and get started, just have been going back and forth quite a bit here in the past few days. We're likely to pull a complete setup this weekend, whether we stick with it or not we'll see.

thanks guys for any input.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestions would be to go with a carb engine so you don't have to deal with a computer. Also, I would say, find an old Beetle engine. They were made for rear mount RWD. I know there are a lot of mods you can get for those engines and a lot of people use them for dune buggies and carts.

s2000 Motor VS l67 no competition

l67 + pulley + CAI

= 241 @ wheel hp

and 300+ tq honda anit got that.

plus i bet that honda motor is expensive.

an l67 can be got for 800$ or less

as a man who i know has been down the l67 path he should know the TRUTH!

BTW REINFORCE THE ROLL CAGE 8x's over

this is going to be a stupid fast and dangerous toy.

Also, the F20C from the S2000 is a nice choice. Lots of torque (for a honda engine, anyway), and it has 280 hp stock.

Bah... H22 has more torque than a F20C. And they are rated at 240hp and 150 ft/trq at the crank.

The best would be to throw in a motorcycle motor just b/c in a little gocart like that the higher the RPM's the better.

All these suggestions are awesome, but some are extreme price wise, where the fuck am I going to get a busa engine for anything next to cheap? A bike motor would be sweet, but I'm worried about low end torque, even though revving it out to 11k+ would be tits.

l67 would be nice and they aren't that expensive,but I was hoping to have around $500 in the engine/trans so it would have to be easily found in the junkyard, which this one isn't. We're going to look at the regular 3800s today and see if I can find some weights on them, they've still got 200hp/220tq i think, which would be nice in a 1200lb car.

I would definitely prefer to do a bike motor, I just think it'll be more expensive then I'm wanting it to be.

I'll keep it updated, we're heading to the junkyard now.

Guest powers
i would use a katana motor or an old kz 1000 motor AIR COOLED keep it simple

but there alot of vids on the net with a shifter cart with a 600 - 1300 cc motor on them

exactly. Air cooled high compression 1000cc motor. Up the compression in it and run race gas.

kz1000 +1 that motor would be easy to find.

the bike would only cost a small amount of cash.

the motor alone has to be cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-Kawasaki-KZ-1000-KZ1000-1975-Z1-B-Engine-KZ900_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35599QQihZ018QQitemZ280018597000QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW