What can you do to an older 600 for more power?

Bam

A buddy of mine has a 1989 Katana 600 w/ a bent frame, but it runs fine, just the rear wheel rubs so its not driveable. I don't care about that since I want the drivetrain. Bad thing is, specs for that year say it only has 86hp/60tq. So I want to know if I can put nitrous on it, how it handles it or whatnot? What can I do for more power? Is there anyway to double the power reasonably? I'm only asking because he's almost willing to donate the bike for my project, its just not very powerful.

thanks guys!

cams (kinda pricey)

jet kit (if its custom its gonna cost ya)

ive seen a katana handle a 30 shot ( dont know if i would go more)

and go 6 up in the back and 4 down in the front your top speed will be 50 but you could do sweet wheelies (no really 1 down in the front )

other than that i think your underestamating the power it would still get ya up to like 80 or 90 prolly if you want more than you need a bigger motor period

Mill the heads. Port work.

I would be careful with milling, the bike engines I have seen dont have any room for this, the valves are already at their limit for clearing the piston.

Port work would help a lot. Turbo + Megasquirt would be fairly easy for huge power.

If this is gonna be donated I'd say pull the motor apart bore it and forge it, do it right so you dont have to worry about it exploding i the future. If you can afford it, lots of head work and seriously forge the bottom end. If you do the right head work you could rev it up tp like 13 or 14 ALL DAY LONG and I dont think you would be dissappointed with a 50 shot. That would be plenty of power on a friggin go-kart...? My two copper round flats.

A buddy of mine has a 1989 Katana 600 w/ a bent frame, but it runs fine, just the rear wheel rubs so its not driveable. I don't care about that since I want the drivetrain. Bad thing is, specs for that year say it only has 86hp/60tq. So I want to know if I can put nitrous on it, how it handles it or whatnot? What can I do for more power? Is there anyway to double the power reasonably? I'm only asking because he's almost willing to donate the bike for my project, its just not very powerful.

thanks guys!

my riding lawn mower has a bottle 2 stage.

Can you handle running race gas? Mill the heads. Port work. cams. bigger carbs. bigger exhaust. Hell, put a turbo on it. Turbo + Megasquirt. Lots to be done, just how much do you want to spend, and how much of the work can you do yourself.

hell if he does all of that he can go buy a newer an faster bike.

hell if he does all of that he can go buy a newer an faster bike.

For the money I have put in my buick, I would have had a smaller, sportier vehicle. It is all personal choice, perhaps even personal challenge to take something and make it in to way you want.

For the money I have put in my buick, I would have had a smaller, sportier vehicle. It is all personal choice, perhaps even personal challenge to take something and make it in to way you want.

+1, it sounds like he wants it for a kart anyway. If that's the case, some money spent on getting more torque is well spent since newer motors don't do all that much better in that department anyway.