Best way to get into being a mechanic?

Browning

Curiosity; I liked finding out how stuff worked, even as a child. I would take stuff apart, examine it, and *sometimes* put it back together lol.

As the years went by, I started working on cars (mainly my brother's '72 and my bud's '69 Cutlasses), then took 2 years auto shop in High School.

I should took shop class in high school, and all that jazz, but didn't. I built my first motor at 14, and the fucker is still running lol.

Would it be wise to start at a place changing oil, etc and try to go from there?

Go to school. If you want to make real money - learn and understand how computer controls and electrical theory work. There are a LOT of guys who can change oil/tires/brakes/exhaust - but real good driveability guys are hard to get. Some of my guys who call on shops on the west coast have top techs that make six figures - and all they do is look at data/wavefroms/etc. and supervise guys who actually do the grunt work. There aren't a lot of these guys - but more every year. While in school - work at a shop so you have some experience to show when you get out.

there is no replacement for experience.

there is nothing wrong with starting as a basic tech and asking a shitload of questions...

most of what I know I taught myself, but I still learn something new almost everyday and I've been turning wrench's for over 10 years....

the more you can learn about engine performance and driveability the further you will go.....

don't leave out older cars either there are stil some shops who need a guy who knows how to rebuild a carb or gap a set of breaker points....

firestone is a good starter shop they have all levels of experience in technicians and they'll pay you 10 dollars an hour or so to chnage tires and oil

good luck

hth

If you can deal with making shitty money for awhile, NTB will hire you as a "mechanic". You will start doing the tires and shit but they will eventually teach you a new thing; alignments, brakes, etc. You can move up to making more.

I make good money at NTB

I started working in my Dads garage at 12 years old,when I turned 18 I got a job at Firestone as a B tech. As I got more experience I got a better job offer at Pep boys and worked there for 6 years,then my manager went to Monro and I followed. I worked at Monro for 3 years until I lost my liscense,and a Grove City Firestone hired me as a shop foreman. I tried a dealership for a 1.5 years and now Im a shop foreman/lead tech at NTB.

good luck,you have to have accurate diagnosis to make money

our lead tech a ntb made 60k this year doing some diags and alot of parts hanging(brakes suspension and so on) get your foot in the door somewhere doing bitch work and do it well, invest in an ok set of tools and you could be at an ntb making 35-40k easy in a year or two

I started out in high school, went through two years at the South-Western Career Academy. I was mainly in the Electrical/Diagnosic classes. I then later got a job at NTB as a "General Service Tech." I worked at NTB for about a year then got a job as an "Apprentice Tech" at Saturn West in Hilliard. I'm still working at Saturn, but quickly grew out of my "Apprentice Tech" status after a month or two. I've been here about a year, had a few raises and still some on the way. I don't know if I could stand working anywhere other than a dealership, but some people are completely opposite.

Start investing in tools now though. I've spent over $6,000 in tools this year and just bought a used box last week from the Snap-On guy for $2200. Make sure to get an account with a good company IE Snap-On, Matco, Mac, Cornwell. Craftsmen tools are good for a weekend warrior, but can't take the daily abuse.

IMO best tool you can buy is an Ingersoll-Rand 2115Ti.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/48200/48186.JPG > *

Just about the only thing I have to use my 1/2" impact for is removing LSX crank bolts.

Start investing in tools now though. I've spent over $6,000 in tools this year and just bought a used box last week from the Snap-On guy for $2200. Make sure to get an account with a good company IE Snap-On, Matco, Mac, Cornwell. Craftsmen tools are good for a weekend warrior, but can't take the daily abuse.

Craftsman makes professional wrenches that kick ass. IR also makes craftsmans 1/2 impact for only about $170. i've had both for more than 5 years and never broke a wrench or lost any power on my impact and both are used everyday. well i did brake a 9/16 wrench but your not suposed to have a 4 foot pipe on it because the snap off wrench broke too haha.

Craftsman makes professional wrenches that kick ass. IR also makes craftsmans 1/2 impact for only about $170. i've had both for more than 5 years and never broke a wrench or lost any power on my impact and both are used everyday. well i did brake a 9/16 wrench but your not suposed to have a 4 foot pipe on it because the snap off wrench broke too haha.
I have Craftsman, Snap-on, and even a few Mac tools, and I gotta vouch for them (Craftsman). I work on heavy trucks, and I beat the shit out of my tools when needed. The Craftsman stuff keeps coming back for more, though their ratchets could be a little tougher. For those, I've had good luck with S-K, Snap-on, and (believe it or not) Husky.

+1

and the only 1/2" impact to buy is a 2135ti ingersol titanium

I use an AirCat composite 1/2" impact, the name sounds cheesy but its one bad motherfucker.

BTW, I still havent heard from the insurance company.

Craftsmen tools are good for a weekend warrior, but can't take the daily abuse.

Bullshit. I'm not sure if Steve Foster (Master Tech) is still at Saturn North, but he uses Craftsman almost exclusively. The great thing about Craftsman is that if you break something, you can hit one of the MANY Sears stores at lunch and get a replacement on the spot. I used to laugh at the other techs waiting for the "Tool Truck" to show up on Thursday, only to find out that he didn't have a replacement on the truck, and it would be at least another week before he had another.

I also loved the fact that a "Newb" tech making $12 a FRH, would rack up $6k in tool debt and hide, or call off, on "tool truck" day because he couldn't make his payment.

Back on topic..................

For you mechanics on the board, how did you get into it? Did you go to school for it, or work your way up from the bottom?

don't :cool:

Actually, a dealership technician is a really good job to have! Just make sure you work for a well know and respected company, and you should do fine. Its defiantly not a job for everyone though.