Best way to get into being a mechanic?

Browning

ingersol 231a w/hp tune up kit is the shit

I have snap on ratchets, and everything else is craftsman....

you have to pay upfront for craftsman unless you have a sears charge, but if your low on cash having a truck account is ok, well if you can get them to come to your shop...

working on cars for a living sucks. It's fun on the side, or helping a buddy out or whatever, but doing it every day is really really a fucking a drag. But hey, people told me this before I started as well, but I had to find out for my self. Now I know, and I got out of it. I sell parts now and much much much happier, not to mention the amount of money I make is more than I ever made as a tech, as well not having any tool payments to make, plus I have a benefits package that really is a benefit.... Wow, Life is auctually starting to look up for me....

working on cars for a living sucks. It's fun on the side, or helping a buddy out or whatever, but doing it every day is really really a fucking a drag. But hey, people told me this before I started as well, but I had to find out for my self. Now I know, and I got out of it.

100% correct. working on cars is fun for a few months, but gets old FAST. you dont have to listen to us but you'll remember this post when your torching up a tierod on a 89 grand am after you finally got the steel rim off by pounding it with a bfh (big fucking hammer) for 2 fucking minutes. but before you even got that far, you had to open the hood with a pair of vise grips. not to mention the owner of the pos is watching your every move from the waiting room. and if thats not enough, THE CAR SMELLS LIKE ASS!!!

working on cars for a living sucks. It's fun on the side, or helping a buddy out or whatever, but doing it every day is really really a fucking a drag. But hey, people told me this before I started as well, but I had to find out for my self. Now I know, and I got out of it. I sell parts now and much much much happier, not to mention the amount of money I make is more than I ever made as a tech, as well not having any tool payments to make, plus I have a benefits package that really is a benefit.... Wow, Life is auctually starting to look up for me....

It's different for each person and where they are located. I like working on cars as a career. I don't ever want to work on them at home though.

I went to wyotech in penn and it was the best 9 months of my life. I took collision/refinishing+ custom painting and also high performance engine building and chassis fabrication. The best part was all the welding. I can mig 110 and 220 on sheet metal, 1/4 inch thick metal, aluminum you name it. My favorite is the tig welding. I fabricated and tig welded a roll cage in my brothers firebird while I was there and ported a few sets of heads. And have assisted a number of motor builds. I dont like working on your everyday cars, actually I hate them. I mainly like the older stuff but also like working on newer high performance vehicles.

I also agree that working on cars everyday sucks. I mean I like it but consider that when you get home at night the last thing you want to do is work on your own vehicles and it takes some amount of fun when it comes to weekend wrenching. I work on tractor trailors as a diesel mechanic and love it but also hate it. Lastly I am a strong follower of strap on. Yes they are well overpriced but I take pride in my tools and also need that little extra strength in my field. About 95% of my tools are snappy the other 5 is craftsman, matco, and mac. When you start out DO NOT try to buy everything at once. especially if you are financing. It takes mechanics years to aquire the tools that they have so take your time but remember that tools are part of the job so be prepared to fork over the dough. I have spent well over 10,000$ in tools this year including the $4,000 box and that sucks when you look back on it.

anyone with that has any questions about wyotech feel free to pm me.

alot of fixing cars is common sense, school will teach you the basic stuff but its not worth as much as hand on. find a small shop thats willing to let you work there as a C tech and learn for a few years then try to get into a dealer. i know when i go to GM training classes some of the guys that go to there for collage are about the same age as me and they get kinda pissed because i am paid to go and i didn't go to collage like they are. we've had a few people work at the dealer i'm at that went to school for auto tech and they were dumb as fuck.

Im going to UTI next fall in arizona for an associates degree (phoenix campus is the only one that gives a degree), then I may get a business degree.

FUCK UTI

the school programs sound cool but each section is only 2 WEEKS LONG!

which in cases where you have no, or little prior experience is not near long enough to grasp some of the curriculum.

Granted I slept through the ~6 months in Chicago and still pulled a 3.89GPA (because I didnt participate in my electronics 1 class due to a work schedule at fed ex and the school schedule i got 2 hours total of sleep.) REALLY GAY.

I was bored through most of it because the Vocational school I went to taught me more then UTI did. I even got dicked on instructors at the Voc. school. 1 retired and the other didn't have to worry about the performance of our class. So senior year was basically a free for all I worked on my car on shop days.

WYOTECH,UNO, Nashville are the best 3 schools. UTI is a joke, as is lincoln tech the LTI in Chicago had a bunch of guys on work/school release from local jail/reformatories ankle bracelets everywhere.

LTI in Indy is decent from what I heard from 2 friends that went there.

EXPERIENCE IS A MUST to make big dollars in the field.

Funny thing is I am currently at Paint Production facility sealing and paint parts for a leading motorcycle mfg, not a repair/resto/mod shop.

oh well each to there own

/rant