If you are going to drive in the SNOW

Mojoe

Here are a few things I've noticed while driving that can make the snow not SO bad to drive in. A lot of you probably already do these things.

Completely clear the snow off your vehicle. Other wise you are a mobile blizzard for the other drivers around you. And You are putting more snow on the road. Don't forget to brush off your mirrors.

Let your vehicle run to warm up and turn the defrost on half way to clear your window's.

If you have 5 speed, down shifting will slow you down faster than breaking in short distance. Should be same for auto, but haven't tried it.

** Have your vehicle prepped before the weather gets here. I good set of all season tires is not expensive. I just put new ones all round for about $300 w/ mount and balance. Have your fluids full the day before; fuel, oil, washer fluid (always over looked), and good wipers. I can't stress the wipers enough. If you can't see, you can't drive. Spend the extra $20 on good wipers, it is completely worth it. When you park your car, pull the wipers up and leave them there. That way they don't freeze to your wind shield. After letting the car warm up, then put them down. Scrapping the crusted snow or ice with then will shorten their life.

I hope everyone is safe out there today. And most off all, watch out for the other people on the road that should have stayed home.

** If you are driving slowly with your flashers on, you should NOT be in the left lanes on the highway. Get over to the right with all the others fucks who don't know how to drive in this.

** Driving with a cell phone in your ear, other than with a bluetooth device, is NOT safe when the roads are clear and dry. Why the fuck do you think it's safe when there is 2 inches of slush under 3 inches of snow?

** When clear and dry, and you must pull off of the highway, pull all the way off of the road as far as you can. WHEN SNOWING AND SHITTY, get even farther off of the road you idiots!

I disagree with downshifting to slow down for some people. It's very easy to downshift a little too early (especially in slick conditions) and as soon as the auto kicks down or you let out the clutch, the tires start sliding. I'm sure some of you understand what I'm talking about. Yes, some of us can do this all day without a problem, but not everyone.

Another tip, skinnier tires work better in the snow.

Be sure to fill your window washer fluid with a cleaner that will not freeze.

Keep an extra jacket in the car or a large, well endowed woman.

Don't forget to knock that extra snow and dirt that piles up in our wheel wells, etc. A large junk of that falling off can cause some damage and/or loss of control.

+1 for all of this, especially brushing ALL the snow off your car. In many northeastern states (CT, MA, VT) it is actually against the law not to, because you may cause an accident with flying chunks of snow that plaster someone's windshield.

Also, 15-20 mph is only as safe as the distance between you and the car ahead of you. You could be doing 5 mph, but if you don't have enough distance, you're going to hit the fucker in front of you anyways. Keep at least 4 or 5 carlengths between you and the next knucklehead up.

If you don't have ABS, don't use the method of "stomp and release" aka "pumping the brakes". Its a useful way to slow down for people who have no nerve endings. If you're any kind of good driver, you'll be able to feel the braking threshold and be able to release a little bit of brake, instead of mashing and releasing. 70% consistent brake efficiency across the board is going to slow you down faster than locking up and rolling over and over and over.

I disagree with downshifting to slow down for some people. It's very easy to downshift a little too early (especially in slick conditions) and as soon as the auto kicks down or you let out the clutch, the tires start sliding. I'm sure some of you understand what I'm talking about. Yes, some of us can do this all day without a problem, but not everyone.

I didn't think an auto would be very good at this, as I said, I have not tried it. In a 5 speed, you need to let the clutch out slow. I should have said that, but thought is was common knowledge.

Another tip, skinnier tires work better in the snow.

Be sure to fill your window washer fluid with a cleaner that will not freeze.

Keep an extra jacket in the car or a large, well endowed woman.

Don't forget to knock that extra snow and dirt that piles up in our wheel wells, etc. A large junk of that falling off can cause some damage and/or loss of control.

quoted for the truth... downshifting will spin the tires quicker than anything.... even in my 4 banger S10... manual or auto... it's a bad idea

the best way to stop is allow PLENTY of distance to stop and be gentle on your breaks... no need to jam on them... that will cause you to slide down the road.

Enjoy your ride to work this morning Mike? LOL. All very good point's.

Actually, the A4 Quattro rocks in the snow. It only took me 5 extra minutes on what is normally a 22-25min drive.

I'm damn glad I fixed the ABS two weeks ago or it may have been a VERY different story this morning. At least on the unplowed neighborhood streets.

Glad to here it Mike. Hey, can you post later on how down shifting your auto AWD does? I think the AWD for me in a 5 speed may be the difference in what was posted earlier. I would like to hear how your Audi does. I think the auto would not be good, but wondering.

Be safe out there guys and don't try a new driving technique without trying it in a safe place and being comfortable with it.

Actually, the A4 Quattro rocks in the snow. It only took me 5 extra minutes on what is normally a 22-25min drive.

I'm damn glad I fixed the ABS two weeks ago or it may have been a VERY different story this morning. At least on the unplowed neighborhood streets.

Is the ABS on Audi's notoriously sensitive? I drove my brother's old A8 in the snow before, and the first time I encountered slick conditions, and there was a little slip/slide, the brake pedal shot right back up, and I could not push it back down; and I subsequently slid right through an intersection.

Scott

Peace

I took my AccessPort and flashed my Valet realtime map to the ECU. Now the car does not go over 3.5K RPM and the wastegate stays open so no positive boost. With a locked Diff the car is a pleasure to drive in the snow, all kinds of traction. I <3 my STI in the winter.

I took my AccessPort and flashed my Valet realtime map to the ECU. Now the car does not go over 3.5K RPM and the wastegate stays open so no positive boost. With a locked Diff the car is a pleasure to drive in the snow, all kinds of traction. I <3 my STI in the winter.

You are spoiled! Ha. That would be nice!

That sounds amazing to drive! I'll settle for the escape though.

Glad to here it Mike. Hey, can you post later on how down shifting your auto AWD does? I think the AWD for me in a 5 speed may be the difference in what was posted earlier. I would like to hear how your Audi does. I think the auto would not be good, but wondering.

Be safe out there guys and don't try a new driving technique without trying it in a safe place and being comfortable with it.

FWD, RWD, AWD, doesn't matter... if you engine brake, the person behind you does not know that you are braking and that is bad mmmmmkay.