salvage title question, Did I get screwed?

wnaplay1647545503

I bought a salvage bike a few weeks back and I went to have the title switched over to my name today. While I was there, I had a title search done and it seems as though this thing might have been wrecked more than once although it is difficult to understand the title search and the lady helping me didnt seem to understand either. I was told it was wrecked within the first year of purchase and since it was still fairly new the insurance company sold it as salvage and replaced it with a new one. But the way the search reads,

8/11/1997 original

8/13/1997 original Same guy both times

5/29/2001 original new owner

9/16/2002 salvage insurance company

6/20/2003 original new owner

5/24/2005 original new owner

10/11/2005 salvage replacement same guy

8/11/2006 salvage new guy

1/22/2007 salvage new guy

So I am thinking I wasnt told the truth. I was told by the seller he was riding this last year but didnt get the title switched over to himself until he sold it to me, which just happens to be the same time he supposedly tore the motor apart because it seized up. The bike looks good as far as the frame and everything but it is in pieces. Meaning the motor is out and the fairings are off. I am suppose to pick up a used motor on sunday but I want to try and make sure this bike is worth putting back together. Also I was told at the title office that I will have to get the bike inspected before getting tags. But if it has already been repaired, and tagged, shouldnt the title I have show that it has already been inspected? Any bike guys in Reynoldsburg that can look at this thing for me and try to tell if something is wrong before I buy the motor?

If you're concerned about the frame, take it to GMD Computrack (sp?). They'll tell you if the frame is out of spec and should be able to fix it should it be tweaked.

I wouldn't worry about the title issues as long as you can get tags for it. You bought it for $500 so I wouldn't expect to make big money on it, but if you get it running you shouldn't take a hard hit on anything.