2007 Autox schedule

Dr. Apex

The schedule is out already and we only have just over a month until the first event!!!

APRIL 14/!5 OSU Test and Tune

April 28 OSU Drivers school, 29 Points 1

May 13 Pts 2 Trails

May 27 Pts 3 Cooper

June 16/17 EVO/ pts4 OSU

July 1 Points 5 OSU

July 22 points 6 Trails

Aug 4/5 GC pts 7/8 OSU

Aug 26 pts 9 Cooper

Sep 2 pts 10 Cooper

Oct 20 pts 11 Trails

Nov 4 fun run Cooper

Cooper stadium is located on Mound st. just west of downtown along I-70.

The OSU lot is located at the corner of Ackerman rd and Fred Taylor dr along side I-315.

Most of you know where National trail raceway is on U.S. 40 just east of Kirkersville.

Go to http://www.ovr-scca.org for info from the local site that is currently being redone.

To register online go to http://www.dlbracing.com and register on there and look for the date of the "OVR" events to register for the autocrosses.

If it's your first time and you need help I will gladly help show you the basics of getting registered and what to do. There are several other autocrossers on here that I'm sure will be willing to help as well but I'll let them speak for themselves!!

I can't wait for April!!! :burn:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't make the April 14-15 event - I have a customer in Dayton, always has his jobber show the first weekend in April, same weekend we always hold Test & Tune. This year he moves the show to, you guessed it, April 14-15! I do plan to instruct at the drivers school though.

The Formula Ford is still for sale, but I'm starting to waver - If I can swing it once estimates come in on some needed work at the new house - I may try to keep it and play some more. If it doesn't work out, I'll be seriously in the market for a 125cc shifter kart before summer's over!

I won't make the April 14-15 event - I have a customer in Dayton, always has his jobber show the first weekend in April, same weekend we always hold Test & Tune. This year he moves the show to, you guessed it, April 14-15! I do plan to instruct at the drivers school though.

The Formula Ford is still for sale, but I'm starting to waver - If I can swing it once estimates come in on some needed work at the new house - I may try to keep it and play some more. If it doesn't work out, I'll be seriously in the market for a 125cc shifter kart before summer's over!

Someone wants to get FTD!!! I'd love to try something like that but they don't make them in Ogre size!!

Ogre Size? Like my fat ass in a kart isn't going to look like some sort of abused sausage squeezed into a seat and around the sterring wheel. There is a small chance the FF may be able to stay - if so it will be faster this year (special winter projects are completed regardless of if it stays or goes!)

Hey MrAutoX I have some questions for you. Last year was my first autox I only did it twice (i got my car late in the season). I did great for being my first time w/ under 20 hours of manual tranny experience. I go up to North Canton with my buddy who has a 3.0l vr6 GTI with coils, sways, lsd, bbk, exhaust, port n polish, pistons, chip etc etc etc and I was bone stock. I lost by less than a second to him and beat him the last time.

http://vista.pca.org/ebe//autoresults5.htm

http://vista.pca.org/ebe//autoresults6.htm

anyway it was through pca.org which is porsche club of america.. "x" class is anything other than a porsche. it was 25 bucks it got you an instructor if you wanted and about 10-15 runs.

ive heard this autox at OSU/cooper is really strict and competitive, alot of trash talking etc... I just want to autox not compete against other or whatever. what is it really like? i just want to learn and have fun without all the im better BS.

if i like your description id like to register so i would like help doing that too. if not ill just keep goin to canton once a month for the pca event. thanks

Hey MrAutoX I have some questions for you. Last year was my first autox I only did it twice (i got my car late in the season). I did great for being my first time w/ under 20 hours of manual tranny experience. I go up to North Canton with my buddy who has a 3.0l vr6 GTI with coils, sways, lsd, bbk, exhaust, port n polish, pistons, chip etc etc etc and I was bone stock. I lost by less than a second to him and beat him the last time.

http://vista.pca.org/ebe//autoresults5.htm

http://vista.pca.org/ebe//autoresults6.htm

anyway it was through pca.org which is porsche club of america.. "x" class is anything other than a porsche. it was 25 bucks it got you an instructor if you wanted and about 10-15 runs.

ive heard this autox at OSU/cooper is really strict and competitive, alot of trash talking etc... I just want to autox not compete against other or whatever. what is it really like? i just want to learn and have fun without all the im better BS.

if i like your description id like to register so i would like help doing that too. if not ill just keep goin to canton once a month for the pca event. thanks

They are strict about somethings, like safety, drifting is not allowed is it's "autocross" and not "drifting" and thus their insurance doesn't cover that I believe.

They try to be as flexible as they can about things, but like the number of cars that can do on-site registration is limited to allow them to be able to run a smooth event. I don't know what else you could mean by "strict".

It is competitive there so you can't expect to show up and take home a trophy, especially being a rookie to the sport, though it is possible. I've never heard any trash talking directly, only friendly banter.

If you come out and focus on having fun, you'll have a good time. Come out to an event and give it a try, you'll never know if you wont like it unless you try.

Ben

Look at http://www.unitedfordowners.com and http://www.buckeyemiataclub.com Both of these clubs only have 10 cars at the ufo and 25 at the buckeye miata club. When you run with the ufo you will get 10 runs in 1 1/2 hours , and with the miata club you will get 9runs in 6 hours. This way you can get as much seat time as possible . They let any kind of cars run.

Oh , at the ford owners club you do not have to work the course. :D

This way you will be more competitive at the scca.

I have run with UFO before - keep in mind they run at CMS and as such typically run much shorter courses than SCCA. They also have to deal with WALLS aroung the speedway and thus are typically fairly tight courses. I agree that any experience is better than none-but running with them will not get you a look at what I would call a comparable type of course. Buckeye Miata runs at the Ohio Historical Society. I have not run their events, but have run other events on that lot. This is a relatively small space, but would offer a better representation of what SCCA runs, albeit at typically a little lower speed/tighter turns. As I said, all seat time is good, just understand the type of experience you will get and how well it transfers.

I agree with the ufo course. It was alittle scary running within a few feet of the wall. The miata club was fun and I did reach 45 mph , for a split second { I heard at the coop you might get up to 80? }. The only knock on the scca is it takes up the whole day.

I'm planning on running the GSL-SE this year, and if the 5.0-RX7 is done, I will definately be taking all the driver's schools I can. Last year I had a huge problem with registering. I emailed the guy twice and even called him. Still, I got no communication. (this was for the OVR's driver's school)

but I am in this season. I've got the time, money, and the proper equipment!

With the right course and car you could see 80mph but not likely, SCCA like to keep it under 60mph.

Patrick: I'm sorry you had that trouble registering last year, if it happens again let me know and I can get in touch with someone to help you out.

At the OVR or Evo school you will get a ton of runs, probably 20-30. An instructor is with you most of the time I believe but they will let you run by yourself as well.

I instructed last year at the OVR school at OSU. I had two "students" - one a first timer, one with about a season of experience. There was obviously a course to run as well as a small skid pad and a short slalom in a seperate lot. Each instructor is different. I rode with both students on almost all their runs. I basically offered a brief critique after each run and offered suggestions as to things to work on the following run. We also spent about 5-10 minutes at the skidpad and made 6-8 runs at the short slalom early in the day to work on a few specific points.

Several instructors rode early - then let the students have at it unless they ask for help. While seat time is good - if you're going to invest your time in a school - I'd get an instructor in the car with me for as many runs as possible. Just thrashing away without anyone to provide feedback on what your doing right-or wrong just opens the door for you to develop bad habits early.

Pat/Pat/Jeff - my preference is to work with the RWD guys if possible. I'll be glad to work with any/all of you. Just put in a request in the notes when you register.

With the right course and car you could see 80mph but not likely, SCCA like to keep it under 60mph.

I think last year on the fastest courses we saw low 70's (mph wise) in the Formula Ford - not much HP, but not much weight either.

Your results may vary, but Ben is correct in that per SCCA rules, stock class cars SHOULD not exceed highway speeds (typically 55-65 max). If you do see this speed, it is only for a brief moment at the end of a relatively "straight" section of the course.

Ben-I'll register as soon as it's open to.

Mr. Butt- thanks, I'll probably take you up on that offer. With my mom knowing you, it would put her mind at ease- she's still a little weary on the idea of me driving around a parking lot.

Heh yeah my mom too. Because she has never actually seen an Autocross, she still thinks its some form of street racing or something.