Building a house bitches.

Casper

+1. Cookie-cutter homes in Ohio FTL.

:asshole:

I'm with Chris on the new builds... I know what the people in my development paid for the houses when they had them built and I know what they are selling for now... it sucks, but hey, I'm glad that I have equity in my house :-)

I bet we have more positive equity and our house isn't even built yet.

Cookie cutter = shit, move into a sturdy house for your own good. The real investments these days are near downtown. Victorian style houses that sold for 30,000 have been fixed up and are being bough by urban professionals for upwards to 400k. Plus you don't have to live in pickerington.

You're 20. Where's the house you own? Just curious since you have such strong opinions about a brand new, energy star compliant house being shit. We have a 90+ high effeciency furnace, all appliances, windows and insulation are energy star compliant, etc. Incase you didn't know, that means tax break. You're not going to get that on an older home without spending tens of thousands of dollars in upgrades. Plus, Pickerington > downtown any and every day. Pickerington is beautiful, and only 30 mins to hocking hills for some awesome riding. Yet, it's only 30 mins to work. Large lot, Pickerington schools, etc... all equal higher resale value.

CONGRATS!!! You should have called me, I know someone that works at M/I that could have helped you out!!!

Anyway, just make sure you are aware of how much you will be paying in taxes down there in Pickerington! If I remember correctly, it will be around $300 a month.....depending on how much you bought the house for.

We know someone at M/I also. We got "helped out". :D Our taxes the first year will be around $130/mo. Once the house is appraised, they'll go up to $252/mo. Thanks for the offer though.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a brand new MI home here in Reynoldsburg thats already done with woods behind it you can get dirt cheep.....i'm talkin in the 90's. you just have to get the toxic mold taken care of before you move in. watch out on cookie cutter MI houses.

there is a brand new MI home here in Reynoldsburg thats already done with woods behind it you can get dirt cheep.....i'm talkin in the 90's. you just have to get the toxic mold taken care of before you move in. watch out on cookie cutter MI houses.

You have no idea how many houses in Reynoldsburg have mold. After looking at tons of houses in the Reynoldsburg area, there's no way in hell I'd live there. Damn near every one of them had mold.

:asshole:

I bet we have more positive equity and our house isn't even built yet.

You're 20. Where's the house you own? Just curious since you have such strong opinions about a brand new, energy star compliant house being shit. We have a 90+ high effeciency furnace, all appliances, windows and insulation are energy star compliant, etc. Incase you didn't know, that means tax break. You're not going to get that on an older home without spending tens of thousands of dollars in upgrades. Plus, Pickerington > downtown any and every day. Pickerington is beautiful, and only 30 mins to hocking hills for some awesome riding. Yet, it's only 30 mins to work. Large lot, Pickerington schools, etc... all equal higher resale value.

We know someone at M/I also. We got "helped out". :D Our taxes the first year will be around $130/mo. Once the house is appraised, they'll go up to $252/mo. Thanks for the offer though.

Just keep me posted on your house warming party!!!

Damn, took you long enough. I moved into the house that I bought a little over a month ago.

I'm surprised you left Hilliard, I figured you would live your whole life there.

Do you smoke crack? I haven't lived in Hilliard for four or five years. I

Man there are some hayterz on this board today. Again congrats, and Pickerington is a very good area, no worries about the neighborhood. I'm pretty sure Ben and his lady have done their homework they are very smart people. Most people research when building a new house. I am doing homework now but will not build for a few years. :p

If you haven't moved out of mom and dads house yet STFU people.

Man there are some hayterz on this board today. Again congrats, and Pickerington is a very good area, no worries about the neighborhood. I'm pretty sure Ben and his lady have done their homework they are very smart people. Most people research when building a new house. I am doing homework now but will not build for a few years. :p

Thanks. Amen.

That's exactly what I was thinking....especially when it's not their money :rolleyes:

1. Congrats on the move to ownership. Regardless of anything negative, the mere fact that you are not renting and can write off the interest is a great move for ya.

2. Definitely look at getting a bump-out on the garage. We have an extra 6' on one side of ours. I'd have gotten both sides if I did it again. Also get it plumbed for water and gas. You may not do it now, but put in a nice garage furnace and if possible, have them plumb a drain. I did all this and love it. It's the only house of the 72 in our area with heat, plumbing and a drain :cool: Makes for a toasty departure and arrival for sure. Also is very cool to detail the car in shorts when it's zero outside (Gas Heat FTW).

3. Also look at all the details you may want at some point. Surround sound, deck speakers, hookups in the basement, etc....

I can't go over them all, but we had the entertainment center(s) all hardwired into the walls, deck speakers, garage speakers, basement has a laundry as does the upstairs (we use it as a pantry)....costs a very small amount now vs later. Also, resale appeal goes up with these little things.

One of the big things for us is we had a secondary heating system installed upstairs in our master bedroom. Runs off a small boiler in the basement. Especially nice when we didn't have kids....which many new owners don't.....as then our heat bills with the heat jacked down all over the home yet we were toasty in our room.

Heated tile....kick ass in the bathrooms and kitchen. That wasn't cheap, but again, I love it and can say that no other home in our area has that. Also helps reduce heating bills. We have lots of windows and if you can get those upgraded...do it.

Water filtration systems, Instant hot water fixture, and if your home is set up for it, do the oversized kitchen cabinets and double stove if you can. We're going with two dishwashers on our next home.....yes, we have kids.....

I could go on.......good luck!

My brother had his house build right around that area about 2 years ago. Really nice neighborhood. He is lucky and no one has built on either side of him yet so he has huge parties and no one complains.

That's exactly what I was thinking....especially when it's not their money :rolleyes:

1. Congrats on the move to ownership. Regardless of anything negative, the mere fact that you are not renting and can write off the interest is a great move for ya.

2. Definitely look at getting a bump-out on the garage. We have an extra 6' on one side of ours. I'd have gotten both sides if I did it again. Also get it plumbed for water and gas. You may not do it now, but put in a nice garage furnace and if possible, have them plumb a drain. I did all this and love it. It's the only house of the 72 in our area with heat, plumbing and a drain :cool: Makes for a toasty departure and arrival for sure. Also is very cool to detail the car in shorts when it's zero outside (Gas Heat FTW).

3. Also look at all the details you may want at some point. Surround sound, deck speakers, hookups in the basement, etc....

I can't go over them all, but we had the entertainment center(s) all hardwired into the walls, deck speakers, garage speakers, basement has a laundry as does the upstairs (we use it as a pantry)....costs a very small amount now vs later. Also, resale appeal goes up with these little things.

One of the big things for us is we had a secondary heating system installed upstairs in our master bedroom. Runs off a small boiler in the basement. Especially nice when we didn't have kids....which many new owners don't.....as then our heat bills with the heat jacked down all over the home yet we were toasty in our room.

Heated tile....kick ass in the bathrooms and kitchen. That wasn't cheap, but again, I love it and can say that no other home in our area has that. Also helps reduce heating bills. We have lots of windows and if you can get those upgraded...do it.

Water filtration systems, Instant hot water fixture, and if your home is set up for it, do the oversized kitchen cabinets and double stove if you can. We're going with two dishwashers on our next home.....yes, we have kids.....

I could go on.......good luck!

You forgot to add the emergency generator and the atomic bomb shelter.

Ben = future Pickerington yuppie wannabe :D

Congrats. We're selling, BTW. Moving to BFE somewhere near Hocking County. We've found that what we're paying for 1/4 acre 3BR, 2BTH can be 5BD, 3BTH with two garages and 4 acres. Unless you're set on the city, have you considered going further out?

cookie cutter houses DO make good starter homes. we've lived in ours for a little over 4 years and will be moving on in a year---that's what people do with these houses--they're not your dream house, but for someone who's still in school/training, and will be around for 5 years and is sick of renting, they make perfect sense. my house was built in '94, and i'm the 3rd owner--i've done a few upgrades and the house should sell for more than i bought it, which is all i'm looking for.

i've got plenty of time to buy the mansion for the wife, but was sick of renting apartments.

congrats on the new house.

Nice man. Pickerington is definatly not one of the areas I see turning to slums anytime soon.

I'm about to start building up near Marengo on 5 acres I just got. I'm tired of asshat neighborhoods. Now I'll be more than 1/4mile off the road so I can do what the fuck I want and if anyone complains they would have to be trespassing to know about it:)

Evan

Nice man. Pickerington is definatly not one of the areas I see turning to slums anytime soon.

I'm about to start building up near Marengo on 5 acres I just got. I'm tired of asshat neighborhoods. Now I'll be more than 1/4mile off the road so I can do what the fuck I want and if anyone complains they would have to be trespassing to know about it:)

Evan

Exactly :)

The neighborhood that Chris lives in...yeah a lot of people got fucked on that deal. Just becaused it happened over there doesnt mean its going to happen everywhere else. A lot of people got scammed thinking they were going to be able to afford those houses. And now you see a lot of for sale signs, and foreclosures. Like Ben said pickerington is the new dublin. Its true, the area is developling like hilliard is. Pickerington is a very nice area. I live 10 minutes from where Ben is building. Good Job Ben!!!