Lookie what i got in the mail today:

Guest 00Smurf

Guest 00Smurf
That's a nice lil rig there. Great choice on a case, ram, & video. I don't care too much for that mobo, but it should hold up.

<E-Penis wagging>

I've got a watercooled (made my own) E6600 (4MB L2 cache) overclocked to 3.42Ghz on a Abit AW9D w/2GB XMS DDR2-800 Plus a X1900XT 512MB, soon to be a X2900XT 1GB.

</E-penis wagging>

I think pretty much all the Core 2 Duos are good overclockers as long as you put a good quality cooler and Arctic silver compound. I recommend the Arctic silver MX-1, as it has the thermal properties of the silver, but it is non conductive and has a 5+ year lifespan.

nice sys as well. I'm definantly gonna buy some silver. this cermaique is not holding up as well. i shoudl be seeinn lower temps than i do.

added to the hardware to day as well. Took my old ddr ram back to micorcenter. picked up a 200gb sataII drive for 64.00 and a pair of 36.6 gb raptors from the little comp place across the way for $100. mmm 10k rpm. Setting up the stripe right now.

Guest 00Smurf

So i finally get it all loaded up. Went to micro center to buy a fan and ended up with a dual slot pci cooler that sits next to the gfx card. dropped gpu temps 7C. Of course it didn't just stop at a fan. picked up 2 WD 36gig raptors a 200gb sataII drive an 80mm fan to cool the hd's. wanted to get 2 spiritII's but they were outta stock.

So i put the raptors in, get the raid set up (raid 0) copy my os from my old drive to them. Booted to windows all was fine. Shut the pc down so that i could move it from my new build table to its new home in my desk. Get it all hooked up, fire it up and it hangs. this was with the 2.975 o/c. Keep trying to restart to get it to load win. nothing. Even though an orthos stress test for 5 hours showed no errors it picks now to be dumb. Next time around i boot to bios. I move to the extreme tweaker tab in order to bump it down. Bam freezes. i try again, same thing freezes when in the tabs. so i can't clock it down. well no biggie i'll reset the cmos and start over. I do that, boot to bios clock it down to 375fsb. restart everythings cool. Go to start windows. "NTLDR not found" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. really pissed. I make sure the array is fine. No problems there, the o/c hang corrupted my mbr. so no biggie i'll boot to windows recovery console and fix it. boot from xp cd, go all the way through it can;t find my xp installation. O my bad for got to install third party raid drivers. Restart get to the f6 prompt press it. it comes up asking me to put a disk in drive a: with the drivers to load. O crap, no floppy ho uses floppys anymore. So i search my house an hour for a floppy, finnally find one up in my attic. Load it in my old machine it detects and works fine. so i get the nv raid drivers copy em to floppy, un hook the floppy drive hook it up to new machine, finally get to recovery console and it sees my installation. I copy ntldr and ntdetect.com from i386\ to the root directory of my hd. Restart all is good. Phew, i was worried i'd have to reinstall xp. So now i've set up ghost to back up my entire raid 0(only 74gb) to the 320gb back up drive. this way if i can't ever fix it. i can just reimage the drive.