gettting a bike

Jonan1647545505

ive always tried to find things that need a little tlc to help save money and get more familiar with the machine. I will be inspecting and more than likely purchasing a 97 rf900. it has been sitting for a few years now and will need a battery, tires, fluid changes, etc. also im going to have to assume that the carbs should be rebuilt. ive rebuilt single carb motors before for cars, dirtbikes, tractors, etc. im not to sure if it would be the same procedures for a machine with four carbs. is this something i should be able to tackle myself or leave this to the pros? also prices on tires and where the best place to get them would be and brand. ive tried searching around online and have come back with few helpful results. any info would be sweet! thanks,

if you can rebuild a carb on a car, then id feel pretty confident that you could do it on the street bike too. just get a manual and go slow. work on one carb at a time, so that you dont mix things up. make sure you dont lose any tiny springs or washers or o-rings. take your time, dont rush, and everything should be a-okay.

i figured it was pretty much the same thing, i just wasnt sure if they were all connected in such a way that i would be getting in over my head. im also assuming that i should leave them connected while rebuilding them individually. where would be a good place to find an appropriate manual? having difficulty locating someone who carries any manual.

also what about tires where can i go to get those replaced?

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0259/carburetor/carburetor.cfm?man=su&groupid=9680&parent=9640

It looks like Suzuki does not offer a "rebuild" kit like Honda, so you'll have to source the needed parts individually. Generally you would look to replace any rubber pieces such as orings, although it isn't always needed. You're going to have to take your carbs apart (one at a time like John said) and see what condition things are in. You will very likely only need to replace minimal wear parts such as the float valve (#43 which comes with a new float on that fiche) and just clean the gunk out of the inside of the carb and jets.

Patience is your friend here as well as a very large and very clean work area that will not be disrupted by anything else while you're working. You can find aftermarket service manuals such as a Clymer for around $30-60 depending on the model, but if you plan on working on your bike often, it may be worth the extra cash to get a factory service manual as they're much more complete.