Who here mountain bikes?

Trouble Maker

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet your not shitting anyone on how cool it is there for stuff like that.

Not at all, I found some amazing 4x4 trails that I would bike up that had some creeks, logs, and rock sections that were tough as hell and the view up on the mountain was unreal.

Should by chance my car sell soon(someone is looking at it now) I'll be heading over to A Gear Higher to look at bikes, I've been wanting again for a while.

I'd say my experience at A Gear Higher was solely based on me getting a noob i talked to. I wouldn't say it was as bad as Bike Source, but not great. I based whether I wanted to buy a bike off of a shop or whether I would suggest someone to them off of whether I knew more about bikes from the two weeks of research I had done than the person I was talking to. I definitely knew more than they guy I first talked to at A Gear Higher. The guy was nice enough though and seemed somewhat intelligent, just inexperienced and unknowledgeable (he was very young). He at one point directed me to a (seemingly) more experienced guy who was busy when I first walked in. But at this point I had already seen that they didn't really have much that I was interested in at the price point I wanted. Depending on who you get there you might have a different experience AND you might be wanting something a little different than me at a different price point. So I wouldn't say don't absolutely go there, there are just other places I would recommend before them, in my experience.

I would highly suggest going to Roll or Northland Cyclery. I had very good experiences at both of those places. I bought a bike from Northland, and if I hadn't, I would have bought the same bike from Roll.

I know Shawn's going to disagree with me though. :p

Carl, someone else had mentioned to me they though you mountain biked. I almost called someone to get your #, but didn't think about it until I was driving there. Figured that would probably be too short of notice. It would be great if you had the time to come out next time. :)

A Gear Higher is a great shop. I will let Rick (owner) know about your expirence. Personaly I don't know everyone there. I obviously only deal with Rick. I would say next time in if you do go back to ask for Rick or Phil they truely know thier shit (not saying the other employees don't).

What brand bike did you get?

I'm going to stop in the shop today and get myself reaquainted with the new model bikes and technology. Last time I owned one disc brakes only came on bikes far better than my Gary Fisher, now the Wal-mart bikes have rapid fire, disc brakes, and full suspension!!

Jesse, I registered on that Spoke Junkies just now, should be nice to get some first hand info from locals and whatnot.

I also stopped in A Gear Higher today, I was happy to see they carry Gary Fisher. They still make the Tassajara!!! That's what I used to have and they are in the price range I want to spend I think. I'll get some more info from that Spoke junkies site and some more looking online before I decide.

I'm going to phase 1 tomorrow if anyone wants to go with me... I can go whenever.... the life of an unemployed college grad...haha

also, get all your Alum Creek trail info on http://www.joinomba.org

they run the trails

Also, speaking of bike shops, I only shop at Trek. I also have 2 good friends who are the head techs there, so I also get any major work done there

Soon as my Laser is sold I can get a bike, I'm going out again tomorrow to a couple other shops to look around. I saw online Giant has a full suspension bike for about the same price as the Gary Fisher I was looking at so I'll have to check it out.

Soon as my Laser is sold I can get a bike, I'm going out again tomorrow to a couple other shops to look around. I saw online Giant has a full suspension bike for about the same price as the Gary Fisher I was looking at so I'll have to check it out.

If you are looking for a bike over $1,000 then go ahead and get a f/s (full suspension) bike. If you do not do downhill racing, massive stunts, or have a bad back, you should get a hardtail for the same price. You are going to get a much better bike

^^ Agree with what he said about "If you do not do downhill racing, massive stunts, or have a bad back, you should get a hard tail for the same price." There's a lot that goes into what FS bike you want to get than you would think. The good ones have some crazy linkage and designs. They try to design them to minimize pedal bob (the suspension moving while you are pedaling) as it reduces your efficiency, but at the same time still have good travel. There's more to wear out, more to adjust. More crap to worry about.

I have an 'entry level' real/good hard tail bike. I honestly was very surprised with what it could do. You are talking about spending twice as much as I did. With the front fork you'll get on a hard tail for 1k and the geometry you will get, it will be a very competent bike. A really good FS bike will cost more than 1k... bike's can get ridiculous. They have their merits, but I would really have to feel a need for a FS bike to justify it. I couldn't see a need for it around here.

Do a ton of research before you buy. You still have a lot to learn I think (no ofense, I'm still learning a ton). I did most of my initial research on http://www.mtbr.com

I'm actually not on any local boards (including spoke junkies), just knew there was good info on the trails there.

Shawn, I'll probably head up there then too. You've got a PM.

I far 'way :(

Like I said the other day, bring the bike up when you come up if you fell you will have time and I will come out if I can. Otherwise, a few of us will have to take a trip down there. Maybe check out a few different trails. Looks like there's a ton around there.

Where is a gear Higher? I just pulled my bike out its an old trek carbon and need to have it tuned before I ride. I haave MTW off from work. Can usually ride if I dont have court or special duty.

jim first link in my sig :)

hes on polaris parkway just west of old state road in the shopping center on the right side.

Hey everyone Jeese and I are going to ride this Sat at phase I. Plan on meeting up at 10:30ish and will start riding promptly at 11. Depending on how I feel I may ride phase II after.

I only mentioned the FS bike as Giant happened to offer one in the price range of the Fisher. After some reading one thing Fisher sticks to on FS is a really simply single pivot design, but they are simply too much money for me now.

Jesse, I looked at your model online and it looks like a nice bike. I'm going to go to a couple more shops today as I'm off today and look around. Most likely right now I will end up getting a Gary Fisher as obviously I'm a bit partial to them.

Where is a gear Higher? I just pulled my bike out its an old trek carbon and need to have it tuned before I ride. I haave MTW off from work. Can usually ride if I dont have court or special duty.

Why don't you take your Trek bike to...gasp...the Trek store. They should do a basic tune up for free.

I only mentioned the FS bike as Giant happened to offer one in the price range of the Fisher. After some reading one thing Fisher sticks to on FS is a really simply single pivot design, but they are simply too much money for me now.

Jesse, I looked at your model online and it looks like a nice bike. I'm going to go to a couple more shops today as I'm off today and look around. Most likely right now I will end up getting a Gary Fisher as obviously I'm a bit partial to them.

Ride everything you think about getting, it might change your mind one way or the other.

the Trek Store Columbus is having a demo day at Alum Creek Thursday. They will have 2 Gary Fisher bikes there that you can ride. a F/S bike and a hardtail