High Speed Buffer Question

Drewhop

High Speed (Rotary) Buffers are a dangerous step if you're not properly trained and have decent experience under your belt...it's not rocket science but it does take some time to get the feel for it. I was detailing for several years and went to an official Meguiars training class before I even thought about using a Rotary on a customer's cars. I still would rather use an orbital time permitting...but there are many instances where a Rotary is necessary for big jobs.

I've been using the same Dewalt unit for the last few years...it's kinda heavy and doesn't go below 1000rpm for finishing work like some of the really high end rotaries but does it's job very well for what it costs.

Feel free to PM me about this topic if you've got additional questions.

Andy

I started out using a Porter Cable 7424 with 6.5" LC flat and CCS pads. Which got the things done but took quite a long time.

I then wanted to get better results faster. I then decided to buy a scrap hood and the Makita 9227 rotary. I proceeded to practice for about 1-2 months and then took it to customers cars. I haven't had any accidents yet, but for the big claims I do have insurance.

Honestly, a rotary is not THAT hard to learn. There is 5 videos on youtube from a Meguiars open garage that is a pretty damn good starting point.

http://www.autopia.org and http://www.detailuniversity.com have a great deal of information to learn from.

PM me if you have any questions. :D

We have a buy here pay here car lot and most of these cars dont deserve a good buffer but we practice on the junkers and taker our time on the good ones. Im painting my hood and fender in a couple days so Ill get some more practice there. I would have to go find what we bought buts its a nice buffer. Bought it off a local body shop here.