Whats your opinion on sleeves in a v8?

Guest RoundIIRacing

Guest RoundIIRacing

I took my car to the track for the first time all summer a few fridays ago,launched it and it blew up at the 330,still went 11:40 @90m.p.h.!I ran a compression check and came up on 0p.s.i. in #5 cylinder!

I figured it just went lean on that cylender for some od reason!It had perfect air-fuels on the dyno n/a,and on spay,before we went to the track!

I pulled my heads last night,and to my surprise the only cylender messed up was the one I had sleeved because of my prvious blow-up!

It's kinda crazy lookin ,it looks (piston&cylinder)grey!There was a hole in the piston towards the top of the piston!I'm just curious if the sleeve may have caused it,it looks as if the top of the sleeve started to come apart!Has it ever been heard of,or happend to anyone else?

I know in 4cylinders mainly hondas cylinders that have been sleeved with aftermarket sleeves are known to "drop" causing the motor to blow up. Who did the sleeveing? I know your motor is balanced and blue printed, id see if it is in fact a faulty sleeve then the machine shop that installed them should be held accountable

Guest RoundIIRacing

That's kinda the reason for posting this thread!I'm taking all posts in to see what steps I should take!When I found the machine shop I used this time the owner told me that he stands behind hiswork!I like the guy and his shop is very reputable!

When I took this project o him I explained that Iv'e been holding off on the rebuild because I haven't found a machine shop yet that just isn't plain tryin to break one off in somebody!He assured me that his was different!Hence I chose him to do the build!I'll post a couple of pics!

Guest RoundIIRacing

Not the best pics ,but atlesst you can see what I'm talkin about!

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t89/shawn_devoll/blownupagain2.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t89/shawn_devoll/blownupagain.jpg

sleeving, if done properly...makes the cylinder stronger than stock (or, it should)

big caveat is whether or not it was done properly

and they don't normally suggest more than 2 or 3 sleeves...problems with balancing and other issues - just a little questionable

1 sleeve should have been perfectly acceptable, though

lots of possibilities for messing it up, though

Guest RoundIIRacing
you sure you dont have a dead injector or bad harness?

what did the plug look like?

That's the first thing I checked,and it logged good a/f on my big stuff!I think this damn car is just a freak!I'm almost to the point of building one of the baddest ls1 cars the cr has ever seen,atleast one of the baddest!

doesnt matter what the wideband reads. If one cylinder has a bad injector the other cylinders could be rich enough to show an overall good reading when you have one cylinder lean. Only way around it is to have EGT in each cylinder and tune by temp. Or the poor man method reading plugs. I went lean one cylinder and popped the plug and lifted the head. Changed gaskets, tested the car read the plugs and that plug was way lean. even though my overall AF was decent. changed injector and it was good to go. Had you popped the plug on that cylinder while the other plugs looked good?

Guest RoundIIRacing
They all lokked fine,not white(lean),and not to dark(rich),I just can't believe the sleeved cylinder was the one to go,wich is the only reason I have any doubt!I even checked the impedence on all the injectord with an ohm meter!

Guest RoundIIRacing
if you had went lean enough to do that it would have blown the entire end of the plug off.

Yeah,it didn't,thats what is weird about it all!I'm about done with this car,I acomplished alot out of it,it's seen 730 h.p. on the dyno(nos),and ran the best of a 9:20,but I just can't seem to keep it together.You figure the best of the best parts you'd have no problem!It looks like projact ls1 is gonna be in the near future!