LT1 vs. LS1

Reed44

I know the all mighty ls1 is better and makes gobs of power. What about the LT1 though? What kind of potential does it hold? I have heard that an lt1 with headers will beat a stock ls1. I am talking about f-bodies here not the corvette. Please discuss the topic, I want some info on the lt1.

im a fan of the lt1, because its cheaper. i also like how its the same basic design as every other small block made before it, with the exception of reverse-flow heads, and the infamous optispark, and some other details. idk about an lt1 with headers beating an ls1 though. that sounds like its pushing it to me.

I know the all mighty ls1 is better and makes gobs of power. What about the LT1 though? What kind of potential does it hold? I have heard that an lt1 with headers will beat a stock ls1. I am talking about f-bodies here not the corvette. Please discuss the topic, I want some info on the lt1.

I've owned 3 LT1's and 3 LS1 powered cars and can tell you a LT1 with headers alone will not even come close to keeping up with an LS1. My bone stock 98SS dynoed at 300rwhp exact, as they were severly underrated.

As far as modifing the car, sure you 'may' be able to find items cheaper for the LT1 but the fact remains there are only a handful of LT1's running 11's on motor, while every head/cam LS1 does it. The LS motor is not only lighter, but the stock head design is far superior to that of an LT1. Then you have the problem with the optispark(which they now have options which fix this).

If you had 10,000 to spend on a car and modifications after your done, the LS1 would be faster. Just my opinion :) I've personally never been happy with my LT1's and I had one running 11.19's(yes exact and every pass:) ) and another running 10.3's.

Oh... and for reference. My wifes automatic 99 Z28 ran 13.6's the day we bought it and my automatic 97 Z28 ran 14.4's stock after LT4 (stock) heads, LT4 hot cam, 3.73's, shorty headers, and intake, I managed a 13.5.

Jason

mine loves nitrous!..dont know much about and LT1 other than i have never come close to being beat by one!

You never raced me at the track.........

LT1's respond VERY well to nitrous. LS1's are better motors; they also tend to be more expensive to mod.

I decided to sink a bunch of money into the LT1, and I guess I will see where that takes me. There are plenty of LT1's in the 9's and 10's, and a few in the 8's as well. LT1's don't have the block options the LSx guys do, so are far more cubic inch restricted. LSx guys get the better heads and igniton too.

If I were to do it all over now, I'd go LSx. But when I started, that wasn't even a viable option, and decided to stick with what I have.

You never raced me at the track.........

LT1's respond VERY well to nitrous. LS1's are better motors; they also tend to be more expensive to mod.

I decided to sink a bunch of money into the LT1, and I guess I will see where that takes me. There are plenty of LT1's in the 9's and 10's, and a few in the 8's as well. LT1's don't have the block options the LSx guys do, so are far more cubic inch restricted. LSx guys get the better heads and igniton too.

If I were to do it all over now, I'd go LSx. But when I started, that wasn't even a viable option, and decided to stick with what I have.

ok like i said i have never been beaten by one ;)

I've owned 3 LT1's and 3 LS1 powered cars and can tell you a LT1 with headers alone will not even come close to keeping up with an LS1. My bone stock 98SS dynoed at 300rwhp exact, as they were severly underrated.

As far as modifing the car, sure you 'may' be able to find items cheaper for the LT1 but the fact remains there are only a handful of LT1's running 11's on motor, while every head/cam LS1 does it. The LS motor is not only lighter, but the stock head design is far superior to that of an LT1. Then you have the problem with the optispark(which they now have options which fix this).

If you had 10,000 to spend on a car and modifications after your done, the LS1 would be faster. Just my opinion :) I've personally never been happy with my LT1's and I had one running 11.19's(yes exact and every pass:) ) and another running 10.3's.

Oh... and for reference. My wifes automatic 99 Z28 ran 13.6's the day we bought it and my automatic 97 Z28 ran 14.4's stock after LT4 (stock) heads, LT4 hot cam, 3.73's, shorty headers, and intake, I managed a 13.5.

Jason

The above post explains it.

Also, a 150 shot is nothing to those blocks. I actually had a 200 shot on my car for a little while last year. I took it off because I realized I was probably making about 615+rwhp and 650+rwtq (estimated). Thats a recipe for disaster with a stock bottom... or so I've heard

I know that ls1's are far more surperior. I just never hear of numbers from the lt1 and people modding them. What can a LT1 handle? What would you expect from H/C nitrous, headers, and tune? I plan to either get a sn-95, fox ( very doubt full), or LT1 f-body in the near future. You can get these car for around 4-6k with decent mileage on them. 6-speed LS1's are 8k-up. I only have goals of 400whp-450whp. what mods would equal that?

I'd say you could get that on either rather safely on just some spray. Personally if you have up to $6k to spend on the car, don't settle for anything other than an LS1, its fairly easy to find one for that price tag, high miles or not. The money you'll save in mods for the same power on an ls1/lt1 could also go towards the purchase price. I think of lt1 f-bodies as $3k-$4k cars, not $6k.

I know that ls1's are far more surperior. I just never hear of numbers from the lt1 and people modding them. What can a LT1 handle? What would you expect from H/C nitrous, headers, and tune? I plan to either get a sn-95, fox ( very doubt full), or LT1 f-body in the near future. You can get these car for around 4-6k with decent mileage on them. 6-speed LS1's are 8k-up. I only have goals of 400whp-450whp. what mods would equal that?

There are plenty of different ways to get to 400whp. Here are 2 quick examples.

Ls1

Intake

Exhaust

Tune

75-100 shot

LT1

Intake

Exhaust

Tune

Ported heads

75-100 shot

Gillbot on here has his 02 Z28 with just a cam/headers/intake/tune doing 400rwhp exactly, and he never has to refill the bottle.

Gillbot on here has his 02 Z28 with just a cam/headers/intake/tune doing 400rwhp exactly, and he never has to refill the bottle.

It would take between $1,300 and $4,500 ($4,500 if you buy expensive parts and have someone else do the installs) to achieve that. Nitrous can be done for under $1,000.

Either way you better save money to fix your transmission an rear end. Around 400rwhp is when stuff starts breaking in those cars :mad:

It would take between $1,300 and $4,500 ($4,500 if you buy expensive parts and have someone else do the installs) to achieve that. Nitrous can be done for under $1,000.

Either way you better save money to fix your transmission an rear end. Around 400rwhp is when stuff starts breaking in those cars :mad:

He's still on stock rear and stock trans. I'll let him chime in whenever he sees this post, ask Anthony or any of the COFBA guys about his car.

He's still on stock rear and stock trans. I'll let him chime in whenever he sees this post, ask Anthony or any of the COFBA guys about his car.

I dont doubt it, a lot of people do it. In the end it comes down to how the car is driven. The rears in these things are definitely weak, but if you dont launch it at 4000rpms it'll hold up longer. I do think that a car making 400 should beef up the tranny though.