Rainier Totaled, What To Get?

Wease

The insurance adjuster came out the other day, looks like the Rainier is going to be totaled. :( So the wife and I are going to start looking for something else. We've got a few things in mind:

Full Size:

Toyota Sequoia

Lincoln Navigator

Nissan Armada

GMC Yukon Denali

Mid Size:

Mercury Mountaineer

Lincoln Aviator

Honda Pilot

My wife wasn't that impressed with the Rainier. I liked it, but she drives it more than me, so it's really going to be her decision what we buy. I'd like something bigger, for my dogs and vacations that we take, but we could make due with a mid-size SUV as well.

So if you have anything to add about any of these vehicles, feel free. Keep in mind that I don't buy new vehicles, anything I get would be a year or two old... :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The insurance adjuster came out the other day, looks like the Rainier is going to be totaled. :( So the wife and I are going to start looking for something else. We've got a few things in mind:

Full Size:

Toyota Sequoia

Lincoln Navigator

Nissan Armada

GMC Yukon Denali

Mid Size:

Mercury Mountaineer

Lincoln Aviator

Honda Pilot

My wife wasn't that impressed with the Rainier. I liked it, but she drives it more than me, so it's really going to be her decision what we buy. I'd like something bigger, for my dogs and vacations that we take, but we could make due with a mid-size SUV as well.

So if you have anything to add about any of these vehicles, feel free. Keep in mind that I don't buy new vehicles, anything I get would be a year or two old... :)

I just got a Nissan Armada and I love it. It's big and has alot of room.

I kept going back and forth from the Armada to the Denali. I liked the fact that not everyone had the Armada. I did alot of searching and there were only 3 for sale around Central Ohio and there were like 30 Denali's. Plus I like to be alittle different so there you go :)

Good Luck with your choice :)

Sean I have a sequoia and love it I take it on long trips evereywhere. It seats 8 adults comfortably and the back seats fold up and fully remove. For 08 in their redesign they made them fold flat but since you don't buy new its a non issue. If you are looking at sequoias I would say look for an 06 or 07. With the 05+ I believe you could get second row captain chairs and console. The chairs came out and so did the console should you need the space. The 08 is a huge improvement but it comes at a price my boss has a platinum edition and it was 65 I believe.

You had a Navigator why did you sell it if you need a full size which you will with two dogs it just makes more sense.

we have had 2 armadas and love them.

we use our current one for everything from groceries, to hauling 9000lbs. it goes threw mud, snow and anything eles.

and they hold up great in accidents.

our first one got rear ended by a truck doing about 30, and it bent the bumper. thats it.

You had a Navigator why did you sell it if you need a full size which you will with two dogs it just makes more sense.

It was the old style Navigator, we weren't really impressed with it. The newer ones are much better... :nod:

I know personally I'm not a fan of FWD SUV's like the pilot enclave etc. They are fwd first then 4wd.

If I were you I would look at the sequoia and navigator both are RWD and 4WD. And if you look they can be had for the price range you are thinking about. Mine is an 01 and has like 85700 miles on it and I haven't had any issues yet. I have been thinking about selling mine and I looked up orupcing and it looks like I could still get 15000 for it. I have the limited model which is loaded with everything but navigation (not offered in model year).

I really can't complain about it. My other boss has an 07 navigator and its NICE!

I like the new Acadia but I hear they get terrible mpg's(even for an suv). The Pilot is damn nice and you can't go wrong with it. I sat in a new Sequoia at the auto show and they're huge inside, power everything and just plain nice!!

The Acadia, Enclave, and Outlook get the best MPG in the segment.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass/Sport_Utility_Vehicle2007.shtml

*They don't sort by the size, but compare them with anything else that's full size.

I'm a little leery of newer toyota fullsize trucks, im not sure if it applies to the Seqoia but the Tundras havent been up to the usual toyota quality. Tailgates breaking off, Bad trannys, Cam issues, etc.

That's because they are assembled in the States.Toyota will need to get the auto workers over here trained on how to do it right.It will take a couple of years.

That's because they are assembled in the States.Toyota will need to get the auto workers over here trained on how to do it right.It will take a couple of years.

:rolleyes: Toyota has been building vehicles in the states since the 80's. The Tundra and Sequoia were designed exclusively for the US, and built exclusively in the US, and are sold exclusively in the US. Up until the new model came out, the ONLY problem in these lines were bad overdrive gears in the 4 speed autos behind the V8 engine, and that was fixed by the 2003 model. I had an 01, and it never had any issues with the trans, or anything else for that matter. I had it for nearly two years, and I put new tires on it, and changed the oil every 10,000 miles (Mobile1 15,000 mile synthetic). I had ZERO problems with it. When I bought it, the odometer said 57,000, and when I sold it, it read 97,000. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of it.