Rainier Totaled, What To Get?

Wease

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you want to do with it. If you are towing anything bigger than a jetski, you definitely want one of the larger SUVs with a body-on-frame (ie, truck) construction and V8 engine. If you are mostly using it as a people-mover, then one of the car-based SUVs with a V6 will be more comfortable and get better gas mileage.

That being said, I have personal experience with 2 of your choices:

My girlfriend's parents have an Aviator and I was underwhelmed by it. It rides and drives like a truck, albeit a very nice one. There are a ton of features to be had (I think they have heated and cooled seats), but the interior seemed to be cramped for something that was so big on the outside.

I also work for Honda, so I am very familiar with the Pilot. Sizewise, it is about the same as the Aviator, but the interior is way bigger. The ride is nice and smooth, and as one poster said, the top trim levels can be quite luxurious. See if you can find a Pilot with VCM (not sure what year they added that), and save yourself some gas, too.

TB SS would be sweet.

Avalanche. You can talk to me or Daron about each of ours, we both love them. The ONLY thing that will replace my Avalanche is another Avalanche or an Escalade EXT (Caddy version). That said, they are gas hogs, but well worth every gallon.

:rolleyes: Toyota has been building vehicles in the states since the 80's. The Tundra and Sequoia were designed exclusively for the US, and built exclusively in the US, and are sold exclusively in the US. Up until the new model came out, the ONLY problem in these lines were bad overdrive gears in the 4 speed autos behind the V8 engine, and that was fixed by the 2003 model. I had an 01, and it never had any issues with the trans, or anything else for that matter. I had it for nearly two years, and I put new tires on it, and changed the oil every 10,000 miles (Mobile1 15,000 mile synthetic). I had ZERO problems with it. When I bought it, the odometer said 57,000, and when I sold it, it read 97,000. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of it.

I'm sorry I should have said the people at those facilites trained properly.I have a 92 4x2 Toyota,98 Sienna and had an 87 FX16 GTS all built in the US.Toyota started with NUMMI in 86 remember the Nova.I also have a IS300,90 4Runner,85 4Runner and ES350 Company car right now so I am a little familiar with the Toyota/Lexus brands.I have worked for them since 1990.I was just saying to be patient with the first year products made outside Japan.

The Chevy Equinox is now available w/ the 264 horsepower 3.6 liter V6, from the malibu and cts. That is a nice car, especially the AWD Sport model. The engine used to be it's weakest point, but it seems they've fixed that. Sliding rear seats FTW! Worth a look I'd say.

Bang for the buck if its used, id say Navigator or Denali. Have you guys took one of the newer Mountaineers for a spin yet? I would place them in the mid-large SUV category. They are loaded up like a Lincoln, and my fav. part about them is they are AWD. That way you or you wife dont have to worry about trying to decide if the road is bad enough to use 4x4 or not, it ALWAYS on and it still has the same fuel economy of any other SUV that is in 2wd. Those are within you price range for sure!

I lol'd

Um, if you lol'd you have no clue about used car prices. Lincoln's price drops like a stone once they are used. Ever notice that new Lincoln towncars are like 50k new and one that is only a couple years old can be had for around 18k? They are priced high new, but dont hold that price long. Lincolns are loaded and can be had cheap once they are used. Hence bang for the buck. Next time please actually know what you are talking about before opening your mouth. mmmkay?

Um, if you lol'd you have no clue about used car prices. Lincoln's price drops like a stone once they are used. Ever notice that new Lincoln towncars are like 50k new and one that is only a couple years old can be had for around 18k? They are priced high new, but dont hold that price long. Lincolns are loaded and can be had cheap once they are used. Hence bang for the buck. Next time please actually know what you are talking about before opening your mouth. mmmkay?

Easy there - Sean had a Navigator that he had for sale for about 2 years I am guessing he does not want another one.

Easy there - Sean had a Navigator that he had for sale for about 2 years I am guessing he does not want another one.

Yeah, I did have one. It was OK. But it was the older style. I like the newer ones much better.

However...

We looked at an '05 'Gator vs. an '04 Sequoia side-by-side at Carmax today and I honestly like the Sequoia better. Just seemed to be more solid, better quality interior and just nicer all over. If the Sequoia wasn't 2WD, we'd probably seriously consider it.

So we're still looking... :)

I'm sorry I should have said the people at those facilites trained properly.I have a 92 4x2 Toyota,98 Sienna and had an 87 FX16 GTS all built in the US.Toyota started with NUMMI in 86 remember the Nova.I also have a IS300,90 4Runner,85 4Runner and ES350 Company car right now so I am a little familiar with the Toyota/Lexus brands.I have worked for them since 1990.I was just saying to be patient with the first year products made outside Japan.

Oh noez! You insulted Toyota infront of Mike!

Sorry man, I had a few in me when I came home and read your post last night. LOL I have just seen how quick Lincolns lose value once they are used and thought that may be the most truck for his money as long as he bought it used. What do you think about the 02'+ Mountaineers?

We have had our Denali for a few years now and LOVE it!! 6.0L, AWD, nice interior, comfortable, I could go on and on. Gas mileage is ok at best but you don't really buy an SUV for gas mileage. Mostly around town we see 15-16mpg, and on the highway we have seen a best of 20mpg but it is usually in the 18-19 range. It can tow fairly well, we have only used ours to tow 1 time on a 2k mile trip and it performed flawlessly. My vote is for the Denali obviously, and like said earlier the Escalade is the same, although your going to be paying more for it and I prefer the GMC look compared to the Caddy, just my opinion though.

Well, we made our decision. We ended up finding a very nice, 2005 Mercury Mountaineer. 32K miles, V8, AWD, every option including parking assist and the DVD player. It's a pearl white exterior and tan interior. Perfect shape, turned in from a lease, picked it up for $15K. :cool: I've had previous style Mountaineers and always thought they were a good value. We were looking at a Honda Pilot with the same options and mileage for around $23K and I just couldn't justify spending $8K more on another SUV. Especially since this one has all time AWD and a V8, in case I need to tow something. So it worked out pretty well and the wife is happy... :)

I took one of those in on trade when i worked at coughlin. Nice lil suv i always thought there resale was rediculously low for how much vehicle you really get. Grats on the purchase.

I would say that's the biggest problem with them, is resale value. My Mountaineers have always been reliable and have a lot of options, but they really take a hit after you buy them new. Hence I'd never buy one new, or any new car for that matter.

I would say that's the biggest problem with them, is resale value. My Mountaineers have always been reliable and have a lot of options, but they really take a hit after you buy them new. Hence I'd never buy one new, or any new car for that matter.

I try to explain that to people that buying a NEW car is extremly stupid but if someone didnt do it we would run out of used cars.......

Yeah should of seen the look on the womans face who traded the Mountaineers in.. (Me) yes maam we can give you 15k for your trade.(Her) Excuse me i just paid 30k for this two years ago.(Me) Ummm burn??