Got a bet going....

Avenger1647545502

Okay, this is basically a physics question, and honestly I already know the answer, but I'm going to throw it out on here so others can chime in.

If you are ACCELERATING in a car, and stomp in the clutch, thus removing power, does the car continue to gain velocity past the MPH at which you hit the clutch? Or does the vehicle instantly stop accelerating and go no faster than the velocity it was when the clutch was hit?

On a pefectly flat and smooth surface, the car will not continue to gain speed. There is 0 power to the wheels anymore. There might be a percieved plateau affect where you may feel like you are neither gaining or losing speed for a few moments, but at that point, all the drivetrain friction, air drag, and road/tire friction will immediatly start to slow the vehicle down.

If it was pushing with the momentum it had then wouldn’t that momentum be it's highest speed BEFORE pushing in the clutch, so it would continue with the same speed for a bit then slow down? Who takes a bet like this anyway...your science teacher?

On a perfectly level surface I do not see how it would continue to gain velocity as the friction involved with everything would instantly reduce it. I would say the same could apply if you just quit accelerating. Why would pushing in the clutch be any different?

it will increase its velocity just a bit. remember acceleration is the "rate of change in the velocity", so when you push the clutch in, it will take just a bit of time for the acceleration to reach zero, and the velocity to plateau--

Ah, I see. He specifically says "an ACCELLERATING car". I am thinking of a coasting car which would already be losing velocity due to friction.

Ok, here is my serious thought on it. It will continue to accelerate, however, it's rate of acceleration will decrease (i.e. 10m/s^2, 8m/s^2, 6m/s^2, 4m/s^2, etc...) until it's rate of acceleration equals zero. At that point, it will begin to decelerate, and it's rate of decleration will begin to increase.

I think...........?