Holden Coupe concept: New Trans Am?

coty061885

Wait, didn't they just try this with a car recently and it failed miserably in sales?? That's right, it was the GTO!! Peronsonally I kinda liked the car but nobody was fooled by it.

That concept is good looking for sure, but we'll bever see it here likely.

Love the car, but I don't see being very likely. Coupes haven't sold well compared to sedans in recent years. It will be interesting to see how well manual transmission sell to as they haven't been popular with GM either.

Wait, didn't they just try this with a car recently and it failed miserably in sales?? That's right, it was the GTO!! Peronsonally I kinda liked the car but nobody was fooled by it.

I love this. Really.

They sold every GTO they ever set out to sell. Before the first GTO hit the dealership, GM announced how many would be sold and also announced 04-06 would be it.

But, then again, I guess it's just easier to bash a car you have never owned.

That's not true. Units sat on dealer lots longer than anticipated and some were offered floor plan incentives to stock up thus helping the manufacturer. While I didn't save the green sheets, I do know they weren't hot sellers like we would all like to believe. They sold well against planned production as GM purposely kept the numbers low, which was a smart move. Their typical PSI was 3 months out but with the GTO they were constantly evaluating the numbers and had them planned upwards of 6 months out.

I don't have the sheets any more but IIRC from the GM green sheet listings they only sold about 13,500 in 2004, just over 11,000 in 05 and the last month I had regular access was in early 06 when sales were down an additional upwards of 20% again. The trend was ugly.

I love this. Really.

They sold every GTO they ever set out to sell. Before the first GTO hit the dealership, GM announced how many would be sold and also announced 04-06 would be it.

That's a bad ass looking car! Too bad we'll never get a chance to buy it. I wounder what car of ours (in the USA) all the guys on the ausi forums a drooling about and wishing they had down under. I know the saying the grass is always greener on the other side, but it seems like they have a lot of really nice cars there.

I love this. Really.

You might want to read my post before quoting it. I like the GTO.

Just the sales were terrible of it. Did they sell them all, of course, it just took way longer than anticipated. I race with a guy that bought one of the last ones only because it was new and had been on the dealer lot for over a year and they took $8k off the price!! GM themselves reported at one point they had only sold half of the GTO's they planned on by a certain point, feel free to look it up.

some of the GTO's sat on lots for so long because half of the dealers thought since it was low production car and "supposedly" a 40th anniversery they could try and sell them for $40,000. well obviously that wasnt working out so they eventually starting asking the intended selling price for them.

thats my understanding of what happened anyways?

On to bigger and better things, 5 years of arguing the new age GTO was enough for me!. The Coupe 60 is a GTO or G8 Coupe not a Trans Am. It's a 2+2 Coupe not a Pony car. Anyways the thing is mean and with so much favorable response I'm sure something will happen with it!

2010 GTO:

http://www.jillandnick.com/gmi_photos/gto_new.jpg

some of the GTO's sat on lots for so long because half of the dealers thought since it was low production car and "supposedly" a 40th anniversery they could try and sell them for $40,000. well obviously that wasnt working out so they eventually starting asking the intended selling price for them.

thats my understanding of what happened anyways?

LOAs, Ebay Auctions for chances to buy (Thank you very little Dan Tobin and others across the country) and no hood scoops or split exhausts at first. Change all of that in 2003 and my guess would be we would have seen a very different story.

Sorry, maybe one more day won't kill me...LOL.

LOAs, Ebay Auctions for chances to buy (Thank you very little Dan Tobin and others across the country) and no hood scoops or split exhausts at first. Change all of that in 2003 and my guess would be we would have seen a very different story.

Sorry, maybe one more day won't kill me...LOL.

i think if the GTO would have launched with the LS2 and the '05/06 body in '04, it would have done better. and +1 for dealerships being idiots about the car. haydocy claimed they wouldn't budge one bit below $30k for the new '06 they had in their lot (this was about 9 months ago)--the jackass salesman wouldn't even let me test drive the car :rolleyes:

and that was in '07--the car had probably been on the lot forever. i gave him his card back, and then brought him outside from the sales floor 3 months later to check out my '05 GTO when i brought it in for a minor warranty repair (seat motor). should have seen the look on his face

That's not true. Units sat on dealer lots longer than anticipated and some were offered floor plan incentives to stock up thus helping the manufacturer. While I didn't save the green sheets, I do know they weren't hot sellers like we would all like to believe. They sold well against planned production as GM purposely kept the numbers low, which was a smart move. Their typical PSI was 3 months out but with the GTO they were constantly evaluating the numbers and had them planned upwards of 6 months out.

I don't have the sheets any more but IIRC from the GM green sheet listings they only sold about 13,500 in 2004, just over 11,000 in 05 and the last month I had regular access was in early 06 when sales were down an additional upwards of 20% again. The trend was ugly.

Everything I posted is 100% true. I probably researched them more than anyone else on here. I bought a first year, top-optioned, chrome-wheeled, ultra-low-miled, black 6 speed thinking I would make a killing in 20 years.

I '+' sign on a certain test changed all of that.

Poeple that say "sales sucked" didn't follow the new GTO from the beginning in 2002.

The numbers I quoted are right off the GM sales sheets distributed to GM owners so I know they are accurate and the sales were not there. My family had Three GM dealerships for years so while I'm no longer in the biz, I'm still close to it.

Everything I posted is 100% true. I probably researched them more than anyone else on here. I bought a first year, top-optioned, chrome-wheeled, ultra-low-miled, black 6 speed thinking I would make a killing in 20 years.

I '+' sign on a certain test changed all of that.

Poeple that say "sales sucked" didn't follow the new GTO from the beginning in 2002.