May 2nd Predictions thread.

Ramsey

I gotta agree with my boy, Ray. You guys are surely putting together some nice setups, but you're dreaming if you think you're going to be tagging 9's or 150mph traps your first time out. I've been in the realm of TT vettes far too long, and can tell you from what I've seen, it's not going to be as easy as you guys seem to think.

If you break into the 10's, or trap over 140, without breaking anything, you should consider that a successful first trip to the track.

Not hatin, just statin. :cool:

Well, since Jason has already been in the 10's and I have been in the very low 11's with basically bolt ons I would be willing to say 9's isn't all that unrealistic.

Also remember we aren't new to drag racing... I have been racing for over 10 years now and have had some pretty fast cars.

Not sure if any of you remember my big tire 67 Camaro I had.... 2200lbs with over 600rwhp. Yeah that was a monster... launching on a 5600stall off the break on monster meats jerking the front end. That car was a mid 9 second car and only trapped in the 130's. Of corse it 60 footed in the 1.3-1.4 range but that was a horse of a different color. Or Jason's "Stock 95" With the build LT4 that ran 10.28 at 128 at one of the old Norwalk events while we were still figuring out the N20 setup.

Understand this... my car went 11.16 with a 2.2 60ft on Nittos while still playing with the new setup and on Motor! If I had sprayed the 200 shot I am certian even without traction I would have been DEEP into the 10's already if not a high 9 second pass.

Now we have Hardend EVERYTHING, automatic conversions, 3800 lockup's and a built motor with meth injection and TT's that should be able to produce 800RWHP on waste gates.

If I can't get the car in the 9's with that kind of power then something is seriously wrong. And make sure you understand that I don't plan to have my first day at the track that rental.

I'd be willing to bet Jason and I rent Marion as soon as they are de-bugged and broken in to figure out how to launch them.

Hell, maybe we will sell some tickets to that show!

As for FAT Chances... I guess we will just have to see. If we are there... one or both of us will be running 9's. Belive that!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, they won't be giving any et slips? If that is the case I won't be there. I want to know what my car is doing. My car was trapping almost 110mph in the 1/8 last year with a broken converter.

You get only your slip. So if you and I were to race, they cut the slip in half. You get yours and I get mine.

110 in the 1/8th is moving out! You get your converter fixed, I'm assuming? Also, are you using a lock up converter? I'm going with a lock up, and I guess they pull hard on the big end. Just going to be annoying having to flip a switch to lock it up. I'll figure something out to make that automatically happen.

I had a new converter built. They don't make a lockup converter for my transmission. My car will also be legal to runs in the 9's.

Next winter will be cage time for me. I would have done it this year, but I decided to do the build so late that there isn't any time left other then cutting into Summer.

Look forward to seeing your car run!

Well, since Jason has already been in the 10's and I have been in the very low 11's with basically bolt ons I would be willing to say 9's isn't all that unrealistic.

Also remember we aren't new to drag racing... I have been racing for over 10 years now and have had some pretty fast cars.

Not sure if any of you remember my big tire 67 Camaro I had.... 2200lbs with over 600rwhp. Yeah that was a monster... launching on a 5600stall off the break on monster meats jerking the front end. That car was a mid 9 second car and only trapped in the 130's. Of corse it 60 footed in the 1.3-1.4 range but that was a horse of a different color. Or Jason's "Stock 95" With the build LT4 that ran 10.28 at 128 at one of the old Norwalk events while we were still figuring out the N20 setup.

Understand this... my car went 11.16 with a 2.2 60ft on Nittos while still playing with the new setup and on Motor! If I had sprayed the 200 shot I am certian even without traction I would have been DEEP into the 10's already if not a high 9 second pass.

Now we have Hardend EVERYTHING, automatic conversions, 3800 lockup's and a built motor with meth injection and TT's that should be able to produce 800RWHP on waste gates.

If I can't get the car in the 9's with that kind of power then something is seriously wrong. And make sure you understand that I don't plan to have my first day at the track that rental.

I'd be willing to bet Jason and I rent Marion as soon as they are de-bugged and broken in to figure out how to launch them.

Hell, maybe we will sell some tickets to that show!

As for FAT Chances... I guess we will just have to see. If we are there... one or both of us will be running 9's. Belive that!

You two made statements that I responded to, running DEEP into the nines and trapping more in the 1/8 than anyone else would in the quarter. Those are the comments that I very specifically responded to, and I stand by it. The rest of your postings I see as completely resonable or even conservitive.

On another note, I missed the part about the transmission conversions? What transmission and converters did you go with?

You two made statements that I responded to, running DEEP into the nines and trapping more in the 1/8 than anyone else would in the quarter. Those are the comments that I very specifically responded to, and I stand by it. The rest of your postings I see as completely resonable or even conservitive.

On another note, I missed the part about the transmission conversions? What transmission and converters did you go with?

I was the one that made the statement about more in the 1/8th then everybody else in the 1/4 and clarified in a later post, that it was a joke as obviously I know of a few cars going that will trap higher then I do in the 1/8th. ;)

We went with RPM Auto Conversions. Upgraded Torque Tube, Driveshaft, hardened axles, built rear ends, built A4 transmission, and 3800 lockup stall converter. We went with the auto's to get better consistancy at the track in addition to not having to deal with the lack of driveability of a twin disc or tripple disc clutch, and the fact it was only $500 more to convert everything to an automatic then it was to build the current 6 speed setup.

As you know Auto's rob a little more HP then a stick shift. I believe it's 15% vs 11%, but IMHO that's a huge benifit. We 'should' be able to turn the boost up a little higher and while we may have the same power to the rear wheels(with more boost vs. the stick), the auto's will launch better and once we hit 3rd gear we'll have the same percentage loss as we do with a stick and we'll see that extra boost on the big end. So basically hoping for the launching ability of the auto but the big end MPH of a stick.

The biggest downside to the build is the extra 200#'s of weight we added to the front/middle of the car. I'm worried at how the car is going to handle on a roll situation. Probably a 53/47 split now vs a 50/50 split. Corvettes don't exactly have the best weight transfer. Nothing like my F-bodies. Will probably have to figure out a good shock/spring solution at some point.

Jason

These TT Vettes will run extremely well with the automatics. Do the transmissions have transbrakes.

We opted to skip the transbreaks for now as we are planning on running on drag radials only. And I don't think DR's will hold up on the brake.

However depending on how well it goes and how well the car is running. Meaning if we do get to the 1200+rwhp range, I plan on adding a transbreak to the car in addition to quick disconnects on the breaks so I can put C5 rear breaks and run a 16" rim with some ET Streets and push for low 8's, maybe even a 7. But that's a long long long way out and I don't even want to begin to say my car is going to do it on something unproven and not even built and running. I can comfortablly say I'll be deep in the 9's this year though.

I can comfortablly say I'll be deep in the 9's this year though.

I thought this last year and it didn't happen. You will only have a few chances to do it. Once you make passes in the 10's you will get the boot. This is the calculator I use and it comes close to my dyno numbers.

http://www.modulardepot.com/hpc.php

I thought this last year and it didn't happen. You will only have a few chances to do it. Once you make passes in the 10's you will get the boot. This is the calculator I use and it comes close to my dyno numbers.

http://www.modulardepot.com/hpc.php

That calculator seems pretty far off, biased on my real world experiences.

Last year in the Z06 I dynoed at 500rwhp and ran 127.74mph w/ a estimated race weight of 3500lbs. Here is what it gives me

127.74 mph

and a weight of 3400 lbs.

rwhp = 481.9

fwhp = 541.46

power to weight (rwhp) = 7.06

power to weight (fwhp) = 6.28

And I did the 127's in DA's around 1200. So it would put that calculator pretty close on my NA car. I would guess it to be a little off if you were talking about a Supercharged/TT/Nitrous car though.

Like My Viper Dynos at 666rwhp and only traps 130. So if I use that calculator and use the 130mph and 3750 race weight, it comes in at 560rwhp. There is much more to HP then Peak numbers.

I pulled that up and got a pop up that wouldn't let me close it out. :mad:

Yes, he posted that in a few forums. I had to unplug my computer. He should get the ban stick!!

I think the first calculator I posted is really close. It shows how much rwhp you used on a given run.

What did the colt weigh??

Guest mrhobbz
Yes, he posted that in a few forums. I had to unplug my computer. He should get the ban stick!!

I think the first calculator I posted is really close. It shows how much rwhp you used on a given run.

What did the colt weigh??

Click on the CR awards, its the same gag...

I was the one that made the statement about more in the 1/8th then everybody else in the 1/4 and clarified in a later post, that it was a joke as obviously I know of a few cars going that will trap higher then I do in the 1/8th. ;)

We went with RPM Auto Conversions. Upgraded Torque Tube, Driveshaft, hardened axles, built rear ends, built A4 transmission, and 3800 lockup stall converter. We went with the auto's to get better consistancy at the track in addition to not having to deal with the lack of driveability of a twin disc or tripple disc clutch, and the fact it was only $500 more to convert everything to an automatic then it was to build the current 6 speed setup.

As you know Auto's rob a little more HP then a stick shift. I believe it's 15% vs 11%, but IMHO that's a huge benifit. We 'should' be able to turn the boost up a little higher and while we may have the same power to the rear wheels(with more boost vs. the stick), the auto's will launch better and once we hit 3rd gear we'll have the same percentage loss as we do with a stick and we'll see that extra boost on the big end. So basically hoping for the launching ability of the auto but the big end MPH of a stick.

The biggest downside to the build is the extra 200#'s of weight we added to the front/middle of the car. I'm worried at how the car is going to handle on a roll situation. Probably a 53/47 split now vs a 50/50 split. Corvettes don't exactly have the best weight transfer. Nothing like my F-bodies. Will probably have to figure out a good shock/spring solution at some point.

Jason

<--------130 in the 1/8 n/a but that was with mike i should be able to run 125

I think that reguardless of the actual times we post, it is going to be one hell of a ride!

We really pulled out all the stops on the builds and did about everything that could be done. If we don't reach the goals we have set it will be due to traction.

are you guys^^^ life partners or something??? every post either of you make, you constantly use the term "we" over and over again, like you two are 'together' or something---not that there's anything wrong with that

see, that's a funny joke.

Good point on the we. :) We are business partners and happen to be building the exact same setups. Afterall, we are so competitive, neither one of us would let the other one build a car faster then the other one. Plus building the cars at the same time saves us a little money because we are purchasing 2x everything.

I guess I could detail exactly what's in my car and then Mark could just copy paste my post so that the 'we' can be droped. ;) Also, the 'we' incorporates IPS as well, since they have spent a ton of time in research helping us making the right decisions.

• Upvote 1

Good point on the we. :) We are business partners and happen to be building the exact same setups. Afterall, we are so competitive, neither one of us would let the other one build a car faster then the other one. Plus building the cars at the same time saves us a little money because we are purchasing 2x everything.

I guess I could detail exactly what's in my car and then Mark could just copy paste my post so that the 'we' can be droped. ;) Also, the 'we' incorporates IPS as well, since they have spent a ton of time in research helping us making the right decisions.

What is the business?