skybus to close?

street pilot

How many tickets do you think they sold? How much do you think their total operating costs were? My bet, they made a shit ton of money for flights they've now canceled. I was talking about this when they first started selling flights. It was just a matter of time before they closed their doors and pocketed the money. I bet if you follow this story, somebody made a lot of money.

I bet you they didn't, they were hemorrhaging money at a ridiculous rate and the ticket money will do nothing more than start to cover their losses... You don't file bankruptcy with any type of gain

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost said three, but couldn't recall the third. I wasn't watching much TV this week and when I was near a TV, I was on a patio at the Westin Kierland Resort drunk off my ass :D

Wrong. Skybus is the third airline this week to go belly up. Aloha Airlines went under March 31, ATA Airlines went under April 2, and now Skybus on April 4.

I have never liked Scumbus from the beginning. It was detrimental to the airline industry. I could say a lot more about it, but all I'm going to say is good riddance!

i just got off the phone with my cc company, 7-10 day refund. i am guessing the refund won't be coming from skybus, what a scam.

tom

It will be taken back from Skybus through whatever credit card/debit card was used for the transaction whether it be Visa, Mastercard or whoever.

The only people who will be out of money are people who paid by cash or check to buy airline tickets. The only way for those people to get their money is through bankruptcy court.

yeah this really sucks...i didnt bite the bullet and buy tickets, but i did have a few trips planned for this year. and i was hoping to go somewhat cheap

but yeah, a few of my friends were flight attendants for skybus. they had a little goodbye party for it tonight

yeah this really sucks...i didnt bite the bullet and buy tickets, but i did have a few trips planned for this year. and i was hoping to go somewhat cheap

but yeah, a few of my friends were flight attendants for skybus. they had a little goodbye party for it tonight

Did they steal a bunch of those little bottles of booze?

What really sucks is, you want to support your local businesses. Love or hate their business model, Skybus was a boon for Columbus, pure and simple. This is a very sad for all of us.

i just got off the phone with my cc company, 7-10 day refund. i am guessing the refund won't be coming from skybus, what a scam.

tom

Tom, just got back from Florida three days ago on Skybus, but I hope you get your money back.

I work at Port Columbus, The Founder and Co-Founder of skybus was trying to get ahold of Mayor Coleman to get funds to save skybus. The whole $10 flight was for the first 10seats and I have spoke to alot of people that flew skybus and when they canceled flights airfare was never refunded.

my g/f and i are flying to florida in august round trip for like 225/person. i dont know the age range of all 8 people, but if theres a bunch of kids, might be easier to pay for the flights than have to deal with kids in a car for 16 hours...

Just called 5th 3rd Bank to file my dispute since I used my checking card to purchase the tickets. Since I bought them more than 120 days ago, 5th 3rd will not file a dispute. They gave me an 800# for Skybus to call to work with them to get my refund. That is an automated number that lists the website for ATA that pretty much says, you're SOL.

I never really understood how they were going to make it anyway. The big airlines have been getting government bail out money for years. Also since the first airline companies many have come and gone. This is just the most recent on the list.

Evan

I bet you they didn't, they were hemorrhaging money at a ridiculous rate and the ticket money will do nothing more than start to cover their losses... You don't file bankruptcy with any type of gain

The company may have not made any money, but I bet the two execs that fled the scene just recently got a generous compensation package for all their 'hard work' running a failing airline. This is just another case where executives get well paid and aren't the least bit responsible when the company they run goes under. And once again, the regular employees get screwed. I will /rant now before I get started on how this is all the republicans' fault.

Yea, I heard a story of a family of four who were stranded in Florida and tickets back were almost $3000. They rented a car to drive it. I'll bet that was a fun 20 hour drive...

What really sucks is, you want to support your local businesses. Love or hate their business model, Skybus was a boon for Columbus, pure and simple. This is a very sad for all of us.

I agree. I'm really sad to see it fail. Not surprised, but still sad none the less. Back on January 2nd when they had the $20 sale, I got tickets to have my mother come out for $63 round trip! My mother's been out here one other time to see me in 8+ years, so I jumped all over that. She had no problems with her flights, and not soon after, they canceled service to the Oakland airport that she flew out of. I'm glad I got her here when I did, but I'm also pissed I never got to go down to Ft. Meyers cheap and see Sanibel Island again... :(

I agree. I'm really sad to see it fail.

What's worse is the destination cities affected. Columbus definitely was getting significant growth and benefit from Skybus, but the destination cities were experiencing unprecedented growth and traffic. Some airports hadn't had a commercial carrier for 10 or 15 years. Because of the extraordinary business from Skybus they had begun or were in the process of beginning upgrades to their facilities. Hiring people, construction, expansion. All because of our little startup airline. Now it's all gone, all of that growth and traffic, their economy explosion, turned off in a night.

This is truly tragic on many, many levels. :(

The news interviewed a couple that got stranded somewhere because of Skybus and had to pay $1500 for emergency tickets to get home that same day.....that's gotta suck.

Fuck that....Depending where I was....I would have rented a car and drove home.