New Deadliest Catch tonight!

Draco-REX

I'm really curious about this season. In the previews they showed a crab pot being launched like a lobster pot (off the back of the boat, tethered to a line along with other pots.) That's a new boat for the show.

And Sig is the man... He'll work you until you drop, but you're going home with a huge paycheck.

Wow, I don't think they could have had a more amazing season opener if they had scripted it..

A leaking boat, a bad propshaft, premonitions, REALLY bad omens, questionable greenhorns, and pranks before they even left dock.

God I love this show. :D

Recording Discovery HD right now. :)

I wish it was on HD. :( Got a setup specificly for stuff like this, and the HD discovery channel I get from Time Warner doesn't simulcast. Hell, I can't even find an HD airing of DC in the guide.

I *HATE* cable. It's just one big half-assed ball of fail.

How many times do they go out a season for $47K each?

Deadliest Catch covers the Red King Crab and "Opie" (Snow Crab) seasons which are pretty close together. The rest of the years, the boats fish other places as well. But that's at least two seasons with big paychecks like that. This season they showed a Brown King Crab boat. The full-share deckhands pulled in over $90K. Thing is, the regular crab boats aren't rigged/designed for that kind of fishing.

Deadliest Catch covers the Red King Crab and "Opie" (Snow Crab) seasons which are pretty close together. The rest of the years, the boats fish other places as well. But that's at least two seasons with big paychecks like that. This season they showed a Brown King Crab boat. The full-share deckhands pulled in over $90K. Thing is, the regular crab boats aren't rigged/designed for that kind of fishing.

So they go out twice a year, two seasons in a year and pull in checks like that. $90K is a helluva payday..damn! There's no way I could do it that job. The cold weather would take a toll on me. How long are they out?

So they go out twice a year, two seasons in a year and pull in checks like that. $90K is a helluva payday..damn! There's no way I could do it that job. The cold weather would take a toll on me. How long are they out?

I think October to February time frame. It's a good couple months, but hell when you come back with over $40K, and still have 6+ months, that's not a bad deal. DVR'd that shit thank God, can't wait to watch it tonight.

I think October to February time frame. It's a good couple months, but hell when you come back with over $40K, and still have 6+ months, that's not a bad deal. DVR'd that shit thank God, can't wait to watch it tonight.

Don't forget, that's about $40K per season! So you ship up to Alaska in September, stay until March, bust your ass for maybe one month total, and end up with $60-100 grand (depending on boat, share, etc.) And if that haul on the brown king crab boat was the usual, you could work from AUgust to March and take home $150-200K. Granted, you dont' get full share until you've worked on a boat for a couple years. But if you can handle the pain, you make some seriously good money.

Personally, I'm not in any shape to do that. But if you're in good shape and can put the pain, cold, and lack of sleep out of your mind and just work, it doesnt' seem like too bad of a deal. Unfortunately, getting a berth on a crab boat is nigh impossible now because of the new quota fishing regs.

I wonder if the average army grunt could do this. It seems like someone fresh from the military would fit right in. You take orders and work yourself to your physical limits as a cog in a larger machine. Or do you think crab fishing would be more than the normal military physical training would prepare you for? I've seen SEAL training, and that looks like crab fishing conditions...

It can't be that easy to get on board with one of those crews. I am sure they have the same crew of people most of the time they go out. Shit...If a dude could pack up and head to Alaska for a few months and come home with 50K or more....i'm sure there'd be a line.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad used to work fishing boats up there, those crab boats work as fishing tenders when crab isn't on. He has worked on the Maverick and the Northwestern as an engineer. Basically you go to the bar in Dutch and hang it out there that you want to work. Your interview is busting your ass during the in-port time and if the captain and crew like you, you get to go to sea.

Right now dad is in Hilo, Hi and he went to the docks and asked the boat captains if they needed help and went out for a few days catching Wahoo and Tuna. Normally you have to pay for the experience of deep sea fishing but the boat captains that work commercially always need guys.