Opinions on a Building for new Shop Location

Turbotrio

Background: We have LONNNNGGGG since outgrown the building we have been in for the past 4 years. We have been looking at potential warehouse/office space to move into over the past year without really finding a good "Fit" for one reason or another. Some were too much. Some would need knocked down and completely re-built. Some had too short of ceilings for the lifts. Some were layed-out to where moving cars around would have been extremely difficult. Some were impossible to get to off a major highway (We have many many out-of-state customers). You get the idea...

Because of the general noise of the shop/dyno we can only move into places that are either very industrial (Much like the location we are at now) or pretty ghetto (Or both lol).

Since we are looking to buy a place I am probably over-thinking this a bit more but I am just wondering how much location effects your opinions or impressions of a shop? We aren't McDonalds so it doesnt need to be on Main St. or anything but I am trying to decide if we put a bunch of money into a building that isnt in the best of areas (But gain a ton more space) if that is better than spending more than we want on a shop (That will be much smaller) and having it be in a "Nicer" area that will just be more industrial?

The benefit of moving into a larger shop 15-20K Sq Ft is that regardless of the area EVERYTHING could stay inside 24/7. A smaller (8-12K Sq Ft) shop in a "Nicer" but more industrial area might "Look" better but would offer less shop space and ability to expand down the road.

I dunno.

Thoughts?

Jeff

Another thing to think about is going to be the security of your business and the vehicles and supplies you have in there. Being in a bad neighborhood could mean an increased chance of someone breaking into your business. It doesn't matter how good your security is, if someone wants in there, they will get in there. So moving into a bad area has a lot of risks. And theives love cars and car parts.

IMO stay out of bad areas unless money is an issue and you are strapped. Lots of empty space in Cbus makes for writing your own deals basically. Who are the clients you want, not just the ones you have and what do you want to be in 5yrs as a business? Set the target and then align the stars.

Congrats on needing to move....means something is going right eh? :thumbup:

I think it should be in a descent area as I keep my car there when ever I'm getting projects done. Thats my take. I would prefer to have my car outside in a fenced area in a nice area then to drive into the hood in a locked garage.

Thats just my opinion. Also make sure you can get descent internet. (Makes thorne happier when fixing)

Jeff go drive up Perimeter Dr. There is 1 15K sf building up right now. And there is about to be a 13k sf building coming up soon, I would say in the next 3-4 months.

The first building has a layed out office. Nice show room area. Would fit very well for what you are doing. An office for a shop foreman to over see his shop. (Myabe turn it into an engine dyno control room?

The second has a 3k add on being nice if you wanted to store projects in the back. Or that area could be designated tuning area. Real nice building, nice then the first. Down fall is the office is not as nice as the first.

Those are the flips.

I dont know what all venues you have explored but when we were looking for a larger car lot for our dealership we contacted a Commercial/Industrial Real Estate Agent (few actually). There are so many hidden properties that word of mouth is not always best when locating a property. Might be a idea.

I would personally broaden the search get some commercial agents involved and see options out there. I think with current market conditions you should be able to find a much larger shop in a decent area for good money right now.

But to answer original IMO presentation and location are very important. If i had a megabucks build going on i would rather have peace of mind that my vehicle was in a safe secure location.

Jeff go drive up Perimeter Dr. There is 1 15K sf building up right now. And there is about to be a 13k sf building coming up soon, I would say in the next 3-4 months.

The first building has a layed out office. Nice show room area. Would fit very well for what you are doing. An office for a shop foreman to over see his shop. (Myabe turn it into an engine dyno control room?

The second has a 3k add on being nice if you wanted to store projects in the back. Or that area could be designated tuning area. Real nice building, nice then the first. Down fall is the office is not as nice as the first.

Those are the flips.

Thanks for the info. Do you know what they are zoned by any chance? We have looked at a few in "Nicer" areas that the dyno was a no-go in. Thanks,

Jeff

Another thing to think about is going to be the security of your business and the vehicles and supplies you have in there. Being in a bad neighborhood could mean an increased chance of someone breaking into your business. It doesn't matter how good your security is, if someone wants in there, they will get in there. So moving into a bad area has a lot of risks.

This is true, however, I am of the opinion that if I had a small(er) shop in Dublin or Powell or wherever that had a fenced-in area for cars to sit outside they would still get broken into. Modded cars are like magnets for kids looking to make a quick buck on stereos and gauges and electronics. Even the lazy ones can figure out where they are most accessible pretty easily.

Actually breaking into a shop to try to take parts or an entire car goes to a whole other level that most "Kids" arent willing to risk. Those few that are wouldnt hesitate to drive 20 minutes north Vs 5 minutes around the corner IMO (I could be completely wrong but just my hunch). For example, my Huntington branch manager on Sullivant was just telling us last week that his branch hasnt been "Hit" for years (Presumably because of the beefed-up secruity) while the UA and Grandview branches both were recently. Most thieves are smart enough to follow the path of least resistance regardless of where that is :)

Jeff

Thanks for the info. Do you know what they are zoned by any chance? We have looked at a few in "Nicer" areas that the dyno was a no-go in. Thanks,

Jeff

4180 is zoned as "other industrial" was custom counter top shop. They moved to 40k down the road. Friend of mine leased it. Lighting is not so great. Would need to be upgraded. I would suggest mercury since it needs it. Like I said the office is killer in the place.

4170 is zoned as "small shop" changed in 2002 when i was in the building. I had install 15,000 worth of light throughout the building also in 02. Building improvement by tenate was the paint booth the we built. Im sure this will be disassembed in a few month. if not im going in and taking it down myself when they leave. And we put in about 1500 feet of barbwired slated chainlink, with gate. For truck storage. That building would be really the best for you.

I don't think location is the biggest decision. However, I do look at the surronding area if I am leaving my car overnight. The location you have now is not bad but, if I stopped in and it was located in the Hilltop, I would not do anything that required the vehicle being there overnight. As far as being hard to get to, I don't think it is as much of an issue as it used to be. I would have driven right past your current location but, I looked it up on Google maps and saw the satellite image. Made it real quick and easy to find even without a large sign out front. I think as long as the shop doesn't make you worry about theft, then the next priority is size/quality of workspace.

I think location is a huge part of it. I would never stop in to buy anything if it were in a bad part of town. Not to mention leaving my car overnight in a location like that. Of course, that would depend on if you were interested in in-store sales or just focusing on internet sales and on-site installation and tuning.

Guest 614Streets

This is just me but I think having a business near the airport or central is better than being strung outside of the outerbelt. My shop is in Hilliard which is ok but its not centralized so people out east travel more (By far not what I want but its where I am starting). Something near a railroad is nice too , the frequent runs of train noise and industrial. Airport , something right off 670 or south high street down to 104 etc I think would be great locations to spy for locations , but thats MO.

I really like mail order style business , its a cake walk, nice thing about the airport is despite having daily ups, fed ex pick up , the airport post office is open 24 hours and being able to kick out parts after normal pick up hours is a cool advantage.

I know you mentioned your not "Mcdonalds" so you don't need main street , but picking up Impulse buyers especially if your driving counter sales , its nice to have a location thats somewhat easy (see south high to 104). You guys have been in business for awhile and I don't know where your shop is.

Jeff,

Best bet is to buy or build something, especially if you are looking at a lot of space. Its cheaper and you are not stuck in a lease if you have to downsize or something else happens and you need to get out. Not saying it will, but always plan for unseen emergencies. I have seen a ton of rotary shops go out of business and they were stuck in huge buildings with long leases.

Send me a PM, I have some info on a self standing building for sale that would probably work for you and its has a fenced yard in the back.

There is a pretty large sized building off of goergesville road, south of 270. Everytime I pass it I think to myself it would make a great shop. The place would need some restoration, but it looks to be solid brick and the lot it is on is quite large. I think it's been for sale for a long time, might be something to check out... Its right after the advanced auto and the new tire discounter when your heading south.