Your thoughts on GTO

TTQ B4U

I'm in the moment of deciding what to do. I can walk away from the GXP at any time but am in a quandry of what to get. Four doors are no longer a limiting factor so.....

I can pick up an 05-06 GTO with mid teens in miles for about $20-$22k or something else....

Looking to go G8 as an option, but would really like to wait until the GXP next year....but that's a ways away and more money.

Budget isn't a limiting factor but I don't want to spend $35-$40k if I don't have to.

I like performance, style and some uniqueness...Auto or Stick no matter really. I would like something the wife could drive in the snow without spinning all over. How do they handle? Better than the old F-Bodies?

Would love to do a Vette, but I'm holding off on that now as when I do it will be summer only.

Thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did you drive a GTO yet? i hate how the shifter is 3 miles away as it wasn't designed for left hand drive. they would be a nice car to DD though.

just so you know since as alot of people don't know this, vettes have wipers and a heater so they can be driven in cold and rain FYI.

As I have had the chance to say a few times recently, I really miss mine, and I will own one again. The shifter was not an issue. At all. Pic of mine -

http://nurkvinny.com/images/Vehicles/Cars/2004_GTO/GTO11.jpg

Man, I miss it.

http://nurkvinny.com/images/Vehicles/Cars/2004_GTO/GTO6.jpg

Oh, and my wife was just talking about how much she misses driving it. We didn't log any winter miles, though.

i love mine but may be going with something else very soon due to my financial situation. i am still undecided if it would be the best choice and would really hate to see it go.

i say go with a vette if it is an option for you. i know quite a few people who drive theirs all year round with no complaints. its just all about tires and experience IMHO....

but if having back seats is important than the gto would be awesome especially the 05-06. they are very responsive to mods and are all around good cars

keep the insight coming.

I have driven an 05 6spd and found no issue there. I will miss some of the creature features of my GXP as I found the GTO a bit limiting there....but overall, I liked it and have found quite a few low mile units around.

I would go with a Vette, but IMO, it shouldn't be driven in the snow period. Just me maybe. Besides, it will have to be a third car as I do have to pick two kids up at school. I Sold my S2000 because I hate keeping a car in the driveway and until our new home is in place with a third bay....well.....I'm staying with two cars.

For the price I'd go with the GTO. The G8 GXP is going to be pricey but you would get back some of the “creature features” with it. When I debate cars that I wish I could buy I look at Price, Power and Performance. The GTO has the G8 in the price dept. but as far as Power and Performance I think (with out driving either of them) they are about equal. I may be in the minority here, but overall I like the look of the GTO better. The interior of the G8 is kind of plain and apart from the front end the rest of the G8 body doesn’t really stand out either.

I can pick up an 05-06 GTO with mid teens in miles for about $20-$22k or something else....

Budget isn't a limiting factor but I don't want to spend $35-$40k if I don't have to.

I like performance, style and some uniqueness...Auto or Stick no matter really. I would like something the wife could drive in the snow without spinning all over. How do they handle? Better than the old F-Bodies?

Thoughts?

I'll play devil's advocate.....does it have to be an American car? I've got an idea that's somewhat unique, has performance, could be driven in the snow if you really want to (with the right tires), and would fit inbetween your budget ranges.

i loved mine, so did everyone who rode in it.

I have to admit...I'm one of those people who rode in it and was impressed. I could probably nit pick a few things about the car but I was very closed minded when it came to the GTO and was really suprised at how nice of a car it really was when I got some seat time in one.

I'd suggest something other than a GM product as well but if I remember correctly the only way for you to get out of the lease on the GXP early was to go with another GM product now correct?

Just interjecting, I love mine.

But good luck finding an 05-06 for the right price. They sometimes overprice them, and most GTOs on the market right now are 04s.

EDIT: Also, I drive mine in the snow with stock tires. With the right handling, it's not too big of an issue.

For those that have driven both, is there all that much difference from '04 to '05-'06? Honestly is it that significant?

i didnt notice much difference driving my friends 05'. it felt like it had a bit more pep to it and also seemed like a slightly smoother ride. other than that there was no big difference other except for the dead stop that comes in the 05-06 and the different font on the gauge cluster

the ls2 platform would be nice to have, but i am still very content with my 04'.

• Upvote 1

you could wait on the new camaro it looks 100 times better or better yet you could get a vette C5 or C6.

personally after driving a vette i'm not interested in ever owning an F-body.

i think the GTO is just a big heavy cavalier with a V8 and the G8 is just a more affordable CTS-V none of which are sports cars. very impressive for a family car but they are just that. i love the looks of the new camaro but it's built on the same chassis as the GTO which im not impressed by. (3800 lbs)

and with gas prices the way the are i don't want to sit in traffic with a big V8,

i'm perfectly happy driving my cavalier threw the week at 33 MPG average and driving the vette when i want and i never complain about gas because i know when i drive it the gas is going to good use ie(running the shit out of it)and not getting burnt up in traffic and if i need to drive long distance it has the aerodynamics weight and gearing to get 32 MPG highway out of a 6.0L V8.

I don't want my car to be half sports car half family/practicle car because i think when you do that your only 1/2 happy all the time.

i didnt notice much difference driving my friends 05'. it felt like it had a bit more pep to it and also seemed like a slightly smoother ride. other than that there was no big difference other except for the dead stop that comes in the 05-06 and the different font on the gauge cluster

the ls2 platform would be nice to have, but i am still very content with my 04'.

04 > 05.

In appearance, personally. 04s looks more like a 'sleeper', while the hood on the 05/06 just drives me insane.

i have a 04 GTO and i will never get rid of it for nothing. i've had trans ams, camaros, mustangs,and vettes, has more room than any of those cars, rides smoother than a vette, not as fast stock as a vette but u can always mod. very easy to work on did the heads and cam in mine in about 4 hours. the only difference other than the motors between the 04 05 and 06's are the brakes the 05's and 06's brakes are a inch bigger and they have 4 piston calipers instead of two, 04's warp very easy. and for the snow thing i wouldn't know don't drive it in the snow, has traction control, guess thats what its for.

i have a 04 GTO and i will never get rid of it for nothing. i've had trans ams, camaros, mustangs,and vettes, has more room than any of those cars, rides smoother than a vette, not as fast stock as a vette but u can always mod. very easy to work on did the heads and cam in mine in about 4 hours. the only difference other than the motors between the 04 05 and 06's are the brakes the 05's and 06's brakes are a inch bigger and they have 4 piston calipers instead of two, 04's warp very easy. and for the snow thing i wouldn't know don't drive it in the snow, has traction control, guess thats what its for.

what year vette did you have. i love the way my vette rides, i think GTO's are to soft and have way to much body roll. (in MY opinion) do you turn your cars or just go in a straight line.

I know this is a GTO / Manero... but did it really ever get sold as a Lumina SS? Did I really miss that part of modern history?

Wait... Manero?

Don't you mean "Monaro"? :confused:

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that's a GTO with a Monaro conversion and Chevy plates at the front (a common thing in Australia).

what year vette did you have. i love the way my vette rides, i think GTO's are to soft and have way to much body roll. (in MY opinion) do you turn your cars or just go in a straight line.

i owned a 02 i never said it handled better not even close, its just the gto rides smoother just i think the vette rides a little ruff. i'm not bashing vette's at all i love them i still wear my corvette sweat jacket when i drive the gto. :)