Your thoughts on GTO

TTQ B4U

no, not at all. what are you thinking??

I'll play devil's advocate.....does it have to be an American car? I've got an idea that's somewhat unique, has performance, could be driven in the snow if you really want to (with the right tires), and would fit inbetween your budget ranges.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you utilize the pull-through program on the GMAC lease, anytime in the last 6 months you can get out so long as you re-lease another GM that's true. however, I still have plenty of family connections to exit it early without paying anything ;)

I have to admit...I'm one of those people who rode in it and was impressed. I could probably nit pick a few things about the car but I was very closed minded when it came to the GTO and was really suprised at how nice of a car it really was when I got some seat time in one.

I'd suggest something other than a GM product as well but if I remember correctly the only way for you to get out of the lease on the GXP early was to go with another GM product now correct?

GTO will be cheaper than any other car mentioned so far by quite a bit. do your homework, and look around for the right one--a low mileage, bone stock, adult-owned '05/06 with a 6 speed

GTO will be $10k less than a G8, and $20k less than the new camaro, and $20k less than a used LS2 vette.

i've had my GTO for 10 months, and love it. i looked around for one for several months before one came along that i had to get. i paid $21k for my '05 and it was owned by a 40yr old guy, was bone stock, and had under 11k on the clock. the only kicker was i had to fly out to wisconsin, buy it, and drive it 500 miles home. i still have 6 months left on the warranty and now 17k miles.

people who know about cars give me compliments all over the place, while most average douchebags on the road have absolutely no idea what the car is (which is COMPLETELY fine by me)--i can't stand EVERY assfuck in a minivan or a dodge ram who tries to rev at me when i'm in my cobra--you simply won't get this negative attention with the GTO. i've sat in a lot of sports cars/sedans/etc. and the GTO is amongst the most comfortable (yet not too soft) you will find.

an STi is also an option too. I've glanced at some used ones, but the few I've seen looked a little mistreated. I like the tamer more civil WRX's and of course they can be easily modded, but looking at the figures on the loaded up, I can't see paying so much for one.

I'm so on the fence with what to do. TBSS, GTO, G8, STi or hell, I'm kicking around just a cheap DD for a year or two then do something. It will boil down to what I find that I love at the moment I suppose.

The cool thing about the GTO is they are coming to market with low miles and the costs now make them a pretty good value compared to anything new.

Get an STI.

But if that's not an option, the GTOs are nice.

Though I think you should hold onto the car you've got and wait for the G8 GXP. The G8 is everything the GTO was, but better looking. ;)

GTO will be cheaper than any other car mentioned so far by quite a bit. do your homework, and look around for the right one--a low mileage, bone stock, adult-owned '05/06 with a 6 speed

I know a fair decent amount of 'adults' that will, and do, abuse their goats.

In fact, I only know ~three 'kids' who own goats (under 18), about ~10 under 21, and 50+ over 21. In my observations, they all have a percent who abuse their goats, and a percent who care for them.

Hell, my dad even runs her more irresponsibly than me!

Good information so far. I personally won't be looking for about another year or so, so I would think that the LS2 version would be a bit cheaper by then and would be my primary target for my search. I do still need to get out and get behind the wheel of a couple to familiarize myself however.

In fact, I only know ~three 'kids' who own goats (under 18), about ~10 under 21, and 50+ over 21. In my observations, they all have a percent who abuse their goats, and a percent who care for them.

all things being equal, i'd buy a sports car off of a 35+ year old way before someone under the age of 25, and so would anyone with any amount of sense.

back on topic.

the sti is not a bad car at all, and you can drive it all season without worries

all things being equal, i'd buy a sports car off of a 35+ year old way before someone under the age of 25, and so would anyone with any amount of sense.

I don't really care either way. Especially if they're young enough to still be under the heavy influence of their parents (i.e. not college yet).

Totally agree....thankfully, I'm pretty good at picking up on signs of a car that's been driven hard and put away wet so-to-speak. However, I won't buy anything over high teens in miles and even if they drive it hard those miles, it won't be hardly anything to the car, unless they are abusing it, which again, there are tell-tale signs.

GTO vs Vette

My GTO hauled 3 blonds instead of 1.

I've hauled 2 blonde's in my vette and complete strangers at that, might not have been the most comfortable thing on each others laps but they sure weren't complaining when i started driving. :)

back on topic.

the sti is not a bad car at all, and you can drive it all season without worries

so you would rather buy sams yellow C5 Z06 over austins blue C5 Z06 that he bought when he was 19.

AGE has nothing to do with it.

so you would rather buy sams yellow C5 Z06 over austins blue C5 Z06 that he bought when he was 19.

AGE has nothing to do with it.

AGE has EVERYTHING to do with it rob. i know it, insurance companies know it, but apparently some people here don't---and they're usually under the age of 25!!

young males are more likely to drive reckless, that's why their insurance rates are highest. i've owned my '87 mustang GT for 11 years--my insurance went down when i turned 25, then it went down again when i got married. the insurance company has done the research and knows that older people are less likely to drive recklessly and cause accidents. driving recklessly includes everything from run-of-the-mill speeding, to burnouts, drag-racing, etc.

austin's blue C5 Z06 was fairly close to stock---sam's car was modded to the hilt. you're comparing apples to oranges. if you buy a heavily modded car, you had better look it over with a fine-toothed comb and suspect it was driven hard.

when buying a used car, you should always ask very specific questions about how the car was cared for, and see how the owner responds--if they seem shifty, or you suspect they're lying, then you should move on.

but not knowing anything about the person (other than age), who here would buy a sports car (say a corvette) from a 22 year old male, over a 45 year old guy???

AGE has EVERYTHING to do with it rob. i know it, insurance companies know it, but apparently some people here don't---and they're usually under the age of 25!!

young males are more likely to drive reckless, that's why their insurance rates are highest. i've owned my '87 mustang GT for 11 years--my insurance went down when i turned 25, then it went down again when i got married. the insurance company has done the research and knows that older people are less likely to drive recklessly and cause accidents. driving recklessly includes everything from run-of-the-mill speeding, to burnouts, drag-racing, etc.

austin's blue C5 Z06 was fairly close to stock---sam's car was modded to the hilt. you're comparing apples to oranges. if you buy a heavily modded car, you had better look it over with a fine-toothed comb and suspect it was driven hard.

when buying a used car, you should always ask very specific questions about how the car was cared for, and see how the owner responds--if they seem shifty, or you suspect they're lying, then you should move on.

but not knowing anything about the person (other than age), who here would buy a sports car (say a corvette) from a 22 year old male, over a 45 year old guy???

sams car was stock when he sold it and regardless of mods i'm talking about how they were driven.

and i would rather buy a car from someone who runs their car hard and is knowledgeable about such things rather then buy a car from say the 35+ year old woman i seen at walmart the other day with her husband trying to buy oil and i quote " isn't all oil the same just buy the cheap stuff."

sams car was stock when he sold it and regardless of mods i'm talking about how they were driven.

well that's a chance you take when you buy a used car. not knowing anything else about the owner (whether they're a 'car guy', or not), would you rather buy a sports car off a 22 year old, or a 45 year old??

no, not at all. what are you thinking??

well....I'll likely get bashed to crap in this thread for saying it, but I was thinking e46 M3 (like Andy's). Although that decision would ultimately be decided by how many miles you think you'd put on it in a year and if you will do any of the service yourself or if it'd all be done by a dealer.

e46M3 is still rare enough that it's somewhat unique on the roads (more than a GTO or Vette in my opinion). It has good power and is great fun to drive, but at the same time has all of the creature comforts you would ever want and is solid as a rock. If you're looking for a vette beater in a straight line it certainly won't do it for you, but it still runs mid-low 13s stock.

he makes a good point....you can get a '02-'03...and MAYBE even an '04 for $30K or less. The biggest potential issuse is that only the '04's would have any warranty left. That said, my '02 has been bulletproof other than regular maintenance.

333hp

8000rpm redline

big trunk

sets 4 as well as a GTO

sexy (IMO)

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q192/ZainoDetail/CRRollingPictures095copy.jpg

I don't really care either way.

I don't think you understood what I was saying.

i understood what you were saying. its possible that you don't drive your car recklessly--but young people tend to drive more recklessly (in general), regardlessly of how much influence their parents have over them. just watch the exit of a high school at the end of the day and watch everyone pull out of the lot if you think otherwise.