Where would you go in Ohio if you had one day

Buck531

as mentioned, it's hard to beat the museum at Wright Pat in Dayton

Huge place...tons of neat things to look at

From oldie spacecraft to Enola Gay to old bombs, weapons...tons of stuff

You'll be amazed by how many planes they have in there

It's one of the few things in Ohio that actually will draw a tourist from another state :)

The wife and I do this sort of thing a lot. Air Force museum is at the top of my list of places to go for a day trip.

If you like to eat also try driving down to Marietta. Its an eating town like Columbus. So many good places and so few people. The river front is cool if your from out of town and there are other things around as well. I'm sure there is still a tourist site about that area. Also it was a major frontier settlement so lots of historic sites and beautiful victorian houses that make victorian village and east broad st look like more of a ghetto.

Evan

Whats the deal with no hocking hills? Do you not liek it there? Have you allready been there? 33 to lancaster there is that huge outside flea market type thing. What about the horse races in circleville?

as mentioned, it's hard to beat the museum at Wright Pat in Dayton

Huge place...tons of neat things to look at

From oldie spacecraft to Enola Gay to old bombs, weapons...tons of stuff

You'll be amazed by how many planes they have in there

It's one of the few things in Ohio that actually will draw a tourist from another state :)

Not to detract from Wright-Patt, but the Enola Gay is at the Smithsonian. The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force at Dayton does have the "Bockscar" that dropped the bomb on Nagasaki. Its a somber display nonetheless and worth the trip, if you are an aviation buff. They have made many improvements recently and it is a nice day trip.

Also what about the Mohican canoe livery or a canoe trip down the little miami. Both are nice rivers, cheap fun for two and it is as relaxing as you make it. OR you can get drunk and have a blast just floating down a river. Which option do you think I would take?

Whats the deal with no hocking hills? Do you not liek it there? Have you allready been there? 33 to lancaster there is that huge outside flea market type thing. What about the horse races in circleville?

Been there like the past 7 or so years once year. Tired of it. Need something different.

My Mom was telling me today about the Amish (they go up there a few times a year).

I think we'll just go up there on Saturday, and chill out. Are there any attractions other than watching the Amish build stuff?

Does it matter where to go? Berlin? other places?

knox co for amish country. just take 62 in gahanna out. when you see the 2nd marathon station (in martinsburg...1st will be at rt13), 62 will turn left at a 4-way. follow that out. theres a little town called "artanna'...you will drive through the boundry of the 'town' in about 24 seconds at the speed limit...theres a sign that will direct you to claybornes amish furniture to the left (going out). im sure theres other stuff in the area. my grandparents live out there near danville/apple valley/howard...i usually see a couple buggys a day on my way out in the summer

knox co for amish country. just take 62 in gahanna out. when you see the 2nd marathon station (in martinsburg...1st will be at rt13), 62 will turn left at a 4-way. follow that out. theres a little town called "artanna'...you will drive through the boundry of the 'town' in about 24 seconds at the speed limit...theres a sign that will direct you to claybornes amish furniture to the left (going out). im sure theres other stuff in the area. my grandparents live out there near danville/apple valley/howard...i usually see a couple buggys a day on my way out in the summer

Rt. 62 brings you right out by my house since I'm near Martinsburg.

If you're coming this way, Ye Olde Mill in Utica (about a mile south on Rt. 13 at intersection in Utica). They have a small restaurant with some food and tons of ice cream treats. They also have a picnic area with 2 small ponds and ducks.

Clayborne's is neat. I used to know the owner's son. It's on Hopewell Rd.

Up past Danville on Rt. 62 I believe there is an old covered bridge, but I don't have much info. since I haven't been there myself. It's called the Rainbow bridge I think, might google it if you're interested.

Indian Lake. It's a nice area. Go carts, putt-putt, fishing, paddle boats/canoes, those lay-down bike things.

Yellow Springs area is always nice too

Yellow springs is ok depending on when you go. If they have their street fair going on its interesting. A bunch of nice little shops. Its a different atmosphere I guess you can say.

If you like diners, dives and drive-ins, check out Roadside America:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/location/oh

I love that kind of offbeat tourist stuff.

As for personal favs:

Jungle Jim's, Cincy-nothing can prepare you for wandering around this store for hours. They sell foods that I didn't know existed, at least in the US

Cheese Haven, Port Clinton - Heck, all of Port Clinton is nice. Forget going to Put-in-Bay with the drunkards and stay on the mainland. Head over to Mr. Eds and catch a crappy island band. Cheese Haven is a store that only sells cheese. It will be a major disappointment (it's as corny as you think it is), but if you are in the area, you should definitely stop by

And you could always check out a neighboring festival (Walleye festival in Port Clinton, May 22-26!):

http://www.ofea.org/

Anyways, the phone is ringing, so that's it for now. Maybe some more later.

Quick EDIT before I head out the door:

Go to any of the Diners and Drive-ins from the TV show, although I didn't check if there were any Ohio places listed:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_dv/article/0,3151,FOOD_29156_5566108,00.html

my grandparents live on caves road, first house past pipesville if youre coming from 62...her sister (my great aunt?) lives 2 doors down with the pond in her front yard, if youre familiar with the area

Rt. 62 brings you right out by my house since I'm near Martinsburg.

If you're coming this way, Ye Olde Mill in Utica (about a mile south on Rt. 13 at intersection in Utica). They have a small restaurant with some food and tons of ice cream treats. They also have a picnic area with 2 small ponds and ducks.

Clayborne's is neat. I used to know the owner's son. It's on Hopewell Rd.

Up past Danville on Rt. 62 I believe there is an old covered bridge, but I don't have much info. since I haven't been there myself. It's called the Rainbow bridge I think, might google it if you're interested.

good call, Mitch

I haven't been in 10 or so years....was guessing which plane it was at the Air Force Museum and only remember it was 'one of them'

I need to go again

I find yellow springs to be pretty damned boring, unless you go at the right time, or want to hike the woods....or simply want to add to the hippy-environment and walk around like a vagrant

They have a lot of neat farmers markets and whatnot...