what wattage bulbs for CF's ?

TTQ B4U

If I'm looking to replace a light bulb in a lamp that says 60W max, what wattage Compact Fluorescent(CF) can I put in?

They say for example a 13W CF puts out equiv. to a 60W Incandescent.

Now going up to a 40 Watt CF puts out lumen's equal to a 150W Incandescent and thus would gain me better use of the same desk lamp.

Is doing so safe? I mean do CF's create less heat if they are only using 13W and thus would a simple 40W one be fine?

Heck, if so, a 55 Watt Compact Fluorescent is the same as a 240W Incandescent Equal.

Thoughts?

How about color tempetures here guys. I am looking to order some from

http://www.1000bulbs.com/2-to-200-Watt-Compact-Fluorescent-Screw-In-Light-Bulbs/

because they offer all variations of color temps. We currently use and like the GE Reveal Bulbs, but they are pricey, don't last long and if I can get similar color for less energy use, I'll pay more up-front.

I can't find a site that shows what temp the GE Reveals are. They say full spectrum but they still are more yellow or normal for Incandecent.

I don't want the Greenish cast ones I've seen at the stores locally, nor the real blue/cold ones I've seen at WallMart.

What's your input there?

http://www.1000bulbs.com/pg/KelvinTempExplained/

Tim we use sylvania CFL through out the house. They are 23w (100w comparable) and are the "soft white" but are really pure bright white. I dont know anything about color temperature for light bulbs. Only for photography. Im sure its similiar. But the lights we use are 1600 lumens and are rated at 8000 hrs.

Edit... I just had to go look on the box. The color temperature on these bulbs are 3000k

If you ask me, color temp around 3000k is good for 'soft white' light, and people generally prefer between 3000k and 4000k for 'white light'. Anything lower and it will get red/yellow, and anything higher and it will get blue. O and don't forget to look at the CRI rating (if provided) since that's what tells you how wide the spectrum is on the light. 90 is a minimum for most picky people, and higher is better (max is 100).

well, I got them installed and 3500K did the trick. 2700k is definitely warm and on part with a typical incandecnet lamp...but not what I wanted.

The 3500's are nice and have no color cast. They are not too white as my other concern was not to have a "hospital waiting room" look in my house.

Overall, very happy. :thumbup: