Absinthe in Ohio.

1Quik7

i work at a liquor store off Polaris and we are going to start carrying an American absinthe they finally legalized...it's called 'Lucid' and it's pretty tasty, 124%...nice green color and anise flavor.

we'll have 3 bottles in sometime soon, retailer said they'll be around the $75-80 range.

• Confused 1

It's a myth that absinthe makes your hallucinate.

The old absinthe did make "some" hallucinate. They stopped adding the wormwood a little while ago.

One my my mcat articles was on the history of absinthe, and its not half the drink it used to be. I cant remember everything from the article, but I remember when I read it I was very surprised.

edit: just did a quick reread of some of it. Chemicals used in the drink lead to the hallucinations, not necessarily the thujone. So the myth that wormwood makes you hallucinate is accurate, however some of the old Absinthe did have hallucinogens from the process. They were using poisons to make the drink a cooler looking green.

this absinthe is made from wormwood, and even contains the chemical that makes you 'trip'...albeit at a lower level than what is found across the pond. i've had Absinthe from Englad, and this was pretty close.

this absinthe is made from wormwood, and even contains the chemical that makes you 'trip'...albeit at a lower level than what is found across the pond. i've had Absinthe from Englad, and this was pretty close.

"In 2007, TTB relaxed the US absinthe ban, and approved several brands for sale.[63] These brands must pass TTB testing, which is performed by the Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry method[64] and TTB considers a product to be thujone-free if the FDA’s test measures less than 10ppm (equal to 10mg/kg) thujone.[65] A US distillery also began producing and selling absinthe, the first US company to do so since 1912. [66]"

-per wiki with links to FDA regulations. no wormwood in the us.

The stuff you have probably has southern wormwood and not grande wormwood.

id rather just spend 120$ and order it from over seas from one of the sites that garuntees delivery.

I mean, hell, if you're gonna go to that trouble, grow, buy, or hunt for shrooms. :D You can still make a tasty drink if you'd like.

Also makes an interesting peanut butter sandwich ;) .

ah yes been there done that.....oh the fun

had some absinthe a while ago my friend got from overseas....it was some crazy tasting stuff....didnt trip at all...we even had the spoon your pour it over with i think a sugar cube or something

ah yes been there done that.....oh the fun

had some absinthe a while ago my friend got from overseas....it was some crazy tasting stuff....didnt trip at all...we even had the spoon your pour it over with i think a sugar cube or something

Did you light it on fire after that and then blow it out and chug it? It's called a flaming fairy. I don't drink that stuff unless it makes me trip. All the stuff my friends have bought over here is just liquorices flavored alcohol. I want to see christina aguilera spiders if I am drinking it!!

LOL

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/04/sorry-absinthe.html

The long-cherished idea that absinthe, an anise-flavored alcoholic beverage with a history of use by artists like Van Gogh and Picasso, is or ever was hallucinogenic might have met its death by data today.

German scientists put old bottles of the substance to the test and found that the liquid is 70 percent alcohol (140 proof) and 0 percent hallucination.

"All things considered, nothing besides ethanol was found in the absinthes that was able to explain the syndrome 'absinthism'," the researchers wrote in an open-access paper in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

Absinthe, widely known as the 'Green Fairy' was banned across Europe in the early 20th century after it became the purported cause of absinthism, the symptoms of which included hallucinations, tremors and convulsions. It turns out that absinthism was probably just alcoholism.

Absinthe so scared the responsible adults of the world that only in the last few years was the substance allowed back onto the market. But when people failed to report excellent trips, arguments sprung up about whether or not the new absinthe was chemically equivalent to the old stuff.

The researchers took a systematic look at 13 samples of pre-ban absinthe and measured their levels of thujone, the active chemical component in the drink's famed wormwood. They found them to be no higher than today's licorice-tasting brew.

“Today it seems a substantial minority of consumers want these myths to be true, even if there is no empirical evidence that they are,” said the study's lead author Dirk Lachenmeier in a release. “It is hoped that this paper will go some way to refute at least the first of these myths, conclusively demonstrating that the thujone content of a representative selection of pre-ban absinthe... fell within the modern EU limit.”

UPDATE: In the comments, Herbal Ed brings up a good point, saying "It sounds like they're not considering that thujone from the wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) has probably broken down in to other components." I should have included this tidbit from the latter half of the paper in which the authors say they "have not found any evidentiary or investigative support for ... the proposition that thujone content changes in bottle, as a result of aging or other environmental factors."

LOL

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/04/sorry-absinthe.html

The long-cherished idea that absinthe, an anise-flavored alcoholic beverage with a history of use by artists like Van Gogh and Picasso, is or ever was hallucinogenic might have met its death by data today.

German scientists put old bottles of the substance to the test and found that the liquid is 70 percent alcohol (140 proof) and 0 percent hallucination.

"All things considered, nothing besides ethanol was found in the absinthes that was able to explain the syndrome 'absinthism'," the researchers wrote in an open-access paper in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

Absinthe, widely known as the 'Green Fairy' was banned across Europe in the early 20th century after it became the purported cause of absinthism, the symptoms of which included hallucinations, tremors and convulsions. It turns out that absinthism was probably just alcoholism.

Absinthe so scared the responsible adults of the world that only in the last few years was the substance allowed back onto the market. But when people failed to report excellent trips, arguments sprung up about whether or not the new absinthe was chemically equivalent to the old stuff.

The researchers took a systematic look at 13 samples of pre-ban absinthe and measured their levels of thujone, the active chemical component in the drink's famed wormwood. They found them to be no higher than today's licorice-tasting brew.

“Today it seems a substantial minority of consumers want these myths to be true, even if there is no empirical evidence that they are,” said the study's lead author Dirk Lachenmeier in a release. “It is hoped that this paper will go some way to refute at least the first of these myths, conclusively demonstrating that the thujone content of a representative selection of pre-ban absinthe... fell within the modern EU limit.”

UPDATE: In the comments, Herbal Ed brings up a good point, saying "It sounds like they're not considering that thujone from the wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) has probably broken down in to other components." I should have included this tidbit from the latter half of the paper in which the authors say they "have not found any evidentiary or investigative support for ... the proposition that thujone content changes in bottle, as a result of aging or other environmental factors."

Could have sworn I said that. In not so many words. :D

So the myth that wormwood makes you hallucinate is accurate, however some of the old Absinthe did have hallucinogens from the process. They were using poisons to make the drink a cooler looking green.

me too. The hallucinogens were from chemicals to get the color a better green.

got it in today.

$58.95 we have 3 bottles, it is Grande Wormwood/Sweet Fennel and Made in France.

i'm just letting people know if they want me to hold a bottle. i personally like the flavor and the proof.

got it in today.

$58.95 we have 3 bottles, it is Grande Wormwood/Sweet Fennel and Made in France.

i'm just letting people know if they want me to hold a bottle. i personally like the flavor and the proof.

Interesting...

You have a pm