Woman killed in lancaster by street racer

justinwebb

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not disputing the fact that he should've pulled over one bit! Im just saying that I find it funny how people are so quick to judge based mainly on the type of car the kid drives. Now maybe i'm wrong but thats just what im taking out of all this.

If he kept his nose clean up until this point and turned himself in without tampering with any evidence he should get about 5 - 7 years... but something tells me that with all that has happened recently he's going to get about 15. Then in the verdict they will say something about street racing (even though he probably wasnt) right before they toss the book at him.

No matter what the situation was, racing or not, Ryan fucked himself for leaving the scene. There is no sympathy shown for him here not because he was driving an import, but simply because he didn't do the right thing. In a situation like that you stop, no matter what the consequences are.

I don't think he will get any time. the lady was jaywalking on a 4 lane highway in the middle of the night. as well as alreay being told by the law to stop doing it. seems like a suicide attempt to me. he might walk away with a reckless op and leaving the scene.

• 3 months later...

just an update on this

http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081014/NEWS01/810140306&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Man sentenced to prison for fatal hit-and-run

Tracy changes plea to guilty for June 16 accident that claimed life of Lancaster woman

By MORGAN DAY • The Eagle-Gazette Staff • October 14, 2008

LANCASTER -A Thurston man involved in the hit-and-run death of a Lancaster woman wiped tears from his eyes during his sentencing hearing Monday.

OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');

Ryan L. Tracy, 25, pleaded guilty to one count of failure to stop after an accident - a third-degree felony. He was sentenced to two years in prison and a two-year suspension of his driver's license.

Tracy hit Julie Marlo, 53, as she was crossing Memorial Drive in Lancaster on June 16. Marlo, who was taken to Grant Medical Center in Columbus, died nearly two hours after the accident.

"He left her lying in the road like an animal, not bothering to stop," Marlo's brother Larry Marlo wrote in his victim impact statement read by Barb Epifano, a victim advocate with the Fairfield County Court.

"Ryan Tracy has not said that he is sorry, nor does he show any remorse," Larry Marlo, 62, wrote. "He appears to not realize how many lives he has affected by his actions."

Epifano said Larry Marlo didn't feel he could read the letter; he waited outside the courtroom during all of the proceedings.

Lancaster Police Sgt. Mike Peters spoke before the court prior to Tracy's sentencing.

He said Marlo tried to cross the street to reach Carnival Foods, where she planned to purchase a chocolate cake. The cake was to celebrate winning a battle with cancer, Peters said her relatives told him.

Tracy was traveling south at a minimum of 20 mph near 1133 N. Memorial Drive when he hit Marlo, who was crossing the street from east to west, Peters said.

"She was just a couple feet from making it all the way across," he said.

Peters said Marlo had crossed four of the five traffic lanes when she was struck. He said Marlo was not in a crosswalk, and the closest one was at least 100 yards from where she was hit.

Police suspected Tracy was drag racing with another vehicle the night Marlo was struck. But police said Tracy was not speeding.

Peters said Fairfield County Sheriff's deputies found Tracy's white Acura Integra at his grandmother's house about a half-hour after the incident.

Tracy was not arrested immediately, but spent five days in jail near the end of July when he was arrested.

He was given a chance Monday to address the court. His attorney, Kristin Burkett, read a letter he wrote.

Tracy explained in his letter he left the scene because he panicked.

He wrote he has attempted to make up for what he did to Marlo's family by cooperating with police.

"The knowledge that you've taken a life is very hard to live with," Tracy said in the letter read by Burkett. "I will never be the same."

His letter also urged Judge Chris Martin to consider his 3-year-old daughter when deciding a sentence.

Burkett said she and her client wanted Tracy incarcerated locally so he could have more control over when he is released. She had hoped the fact Tracy hadn't been drinking at the time of the incident would work more in his favor.

"I think it's unfair that he's going to prison, but I understand why the judge did it," she said.

so, people are allowed to cross five lanes of traffic at night in the middle of the rd?

and he was drag racing at 20mph? wtf?

I think its bs to serve time for that. maybe some probation and dl susp for leaving the scene, but prision?

so, people are allowed to cross five lanes of traffic at night in the middle of the rd?

I think its bs to serve time for that. maybe some probation and dl susp for leaving the scene, but prision?

I think it was the combination of:

1. Killing a person]

2. Fleeing

3. "witnesses" of said "racing"

Doesn't take much..

IMO, the fact that he took off, leaving her for dead and trying to hide was what got him the time.

If he would have faced the accident square on, I bet the outcome would have been different.

The whole situation is too bad. Now I know why the lady crossed the road. To get to the chocolate cake. Out of curiousity, how many trips does it take go get some chocolate cake?

BTW, some people panic. Did he truly panic? I don't know. However, until you've found yourself in a similar situation, you really don't know how you'll react. True panic cannot be controlled and your mind reacts illogically. You might as well try to stop the sun from shining.

-He's serving time because he fled the scene.

-8:30pm in june is not night

-He cooperated with cops only after it became obvious that he'd been ID'd

-They state the mph at 20mph because they cannot prove he was going faster. If you look at the facts of the accident, you'd be a fool to think he wasn't speeding. ""It looked like maybe a white blur going by and I saw her body twisting in the air..." not 20mph. A pedestrian doesn't get surprised by a 20mph car, and a 20mph car doesn't get surprised by a pedestrian. This is his lawyers BS.

-He fled because he paniced, he paniced because he knew he did something wrong. Should = maximum sentence.

You know I am alright with Ryan honestly, but after this happened there was even more reports and spottings of him driving like a jackass. Now if I had hit and killed a lady it would be hard for me to even drive again yet alone be out speeding. I was at sonic one night and some kid drew a outline of a person in front of his car which I thought was kinda fucked up.

The whole "she was going to pick up a cake in celebration of her beating cancer" could also be b/s. Just makes the situation sound even more sad. If thats true then damn that really does suck. He should not have fled, I think the penalty wouldve been less

i think that he was very wrong for leaving. he went to his grandmothers because he lives with her.

just putting this out there. if they couldnt charge him with the death, how could they charge him with a felony 3.

However, until you've found yourself in a similar situation, you really don't know how you'll react. True panic cannot be controlled and your mind reacts illogically. You might as well try to stop the sun from shining.

amen. when i totalled my dads car when i was 18 (rolled it twice and flipped it once, buddy behind me watched the whole thing...if you saw the pics i posted of the same friends evo he totalled in dec and died in, it was about that bad), you know what my first thought was when i crawled out of the car? am i ok? nope. is the other driver i clipped ok? nope. should i call the police? nope.

my first thought was "how can i get this fixed by tomorrow". mind you, at 18, i think i was making 7$/hr, was thrilled to have 250 bucks in my bank account, and im sitting there looking at a BMW sitting on its roof in the woods, and i want to get it fixed by the next day so my dad doesn't freak out.

i understand how the kid panicked, because i have been in a similar situation

as for his sentence, i think he got off pretty easy with 2 years.

100% agreement here. IMO, it was a fair sentence. Flee from the scene or even the police and you deserve what you get and then some.

In this case it wasn't just simply fleeing an accident, it was a hit and run of a person and in a situation where that person lost their life. Walking on that is not an option in my book.

-He's serving time because he fled the scene.

-8:30pm in june is not night

-He cooperated with cops only after it became obvious that he'd been ID'd

-They state the mph at 20mph because they cannot prove he was going faster. If you look at the facts of the accident, you'd be a fool to think he wasn't speeding. ""It looked like maybe a white blur going by and I saw her body twisting in the air..." not 20mph. A pedestrian doesn't get surprised by a 20mph car, and a 20mph car doesn't get surprised by a pedestrian. This is his lawyers BS.

-He fled because he paniced, he paniced because he knew he did something wrong. Should = maximum sentence.

if they couldnt charge him with the death, how could they charge him with a felony 3.

Lawers, I'm willing to bet something was agreed to.

Fleeing an accident that wasn't your fault isn't uncommon, most do it because they were doing something else illegal, examples:

-possession of drugs

-having drank that evening, fearing dui

-racing

-fleeing a robbery

-lack of citizenship

etc