Tires

EricKerecz

I was at the pony looking at tires. I like touching sht i want to buy. I was looking at Mich. PPs. Then a Pony employee started pushing Shinkos on me. Said he "stunts" on them so they should be good enough for me. Funny.

Yeah because stunters actually do things that aggressive street and track day guys do. :rolleyes: Next time, ask for Justin. He's got track knowledge and even Kyle does. They can tell you what is best for you. Brands are somewhat exclusive to certain people. Some think Brdigestone is better than most. Some think Michelin, some Pirelli, etc. Get what works for you, but in the end, the three top dogs are Dunlop, Michelin and Pirelli...

Stunters like Shinko because they are cheap and wear decent for what they do. Take a set of those to a track day or go aggressive street riding at your favorite winding road? Make sure you have your insurance up to date...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but considering it is probably one of those cool show bikes, I understand why he put them on. The OP was looking for street tires and N Tecs are a poor choice... No matter what the bike is...
so i really need new tires..

i have about 600 in the bank..

What're some decent tires that wont run me dry?

get off your high horse buddy. the first question was not stating anything about street tires, you don't anything about me and are probably getting upset im pissing in your sandbox. If you think the bike is a show bike you are seriously mistaking.

Ill bet you are one of those guys who also tells everyone Race tires don't heat up on the streets and they should stick to street tires for the street right:rolleyes:

Ill say this, if your looking for a street tire you want nothing but commuting miles for and no track/canyon rides then get a cheaper tire but if you want something you can go from the track to the streets on then get some Ntec or supercorsas. Ask yourself this whats more expensive, some tires or some plastics b/c your hard street tires didn't stick when you decided to go for a spirited canyon ride.

Edited by jetspeedz

get off your high horse buddy. the first question was not stating anything about street tires, you don't anything about me and are probably getting upset im pissing in your sandbox. If you think the bike is a show bike you are seriously mistaking.

Ill bet you are one of those guys who also tells everyone Race tires don't heat up on the streets and they should stick to street tires for the street right:rolleyes:

Ill say this, if your looking for a street tire you want nothing but commuting miles for and no track/canyon rides then get a cheaper tire but if you want something you can go from the track to the streets on then get some Ntec or supercorsas. Ask yourself this whats more expensive, some tires or some plastics b/c your hard street tires didn't stick when you decided to go for a spirited canyon ride.

My issue is that you come on here and are giving a bit of bad info. N Tecs are race compound tires. Race compound tires DO NOT heat the same as street tires. Street tires come to temp quicker and have a compound structure that allow them to work great at street pace. Under your mentality, you can run street compound tires all day perfectly fine at the track. You can, until they get too hot and get greasy as a result.

Trust me, I know a few things about tires and compounds and would sell race take offs all day to street guys BUT let them understand that they will take some time to get heat into them.

They heat up, but they take longer.

Your bike is a street bike, no? I see it has the turbo and the whole nine yards and it is impressive, but you street ride, right? Not sure where I mis-led anyone...

Now, if you want to go back and forth, there are some really good Michelin and Pirelli tires suitable for such an application and will get you decent results. N Tecs are full on race tires - not intended for both...

Here's a good read for the street guys to understand the N Tec better:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/whatsnew_article.asp?id=171&monthYear=

Here's another showing the benefits of their RACE tire...

http://dunlopracing.com/

you will be surprised how many times you see guys going down in the canyons here b/c the tire slipped without giving any warning. Guys just pushing their bikes to the limit on hard pos compound street tires learn the hard way

They aren't doing it right. Ever seen Collin Edwards on Michelin street tires? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alYYU4mTc-g

Never an issue. I've also ridden pretty hard at the track on DOT street compound tires. Proper heat up time will allow the tire to work rather well. Of course, it got a little greasy, but rider ability helps, too.

Guys crash at the track on the first lap with race tires, too. Cause? Poor judgement usually.

Tires don't let go for no reason unless they are worn or not to temp or over temp or poor tire management...

I'll give you POS street tires are never any good, but there are some really good street compound tires that at street pace will do just fine...

My issue is that you come on here and are giving a bit of bad info. N Tecs are race compound tires. Race compound tires DO NOT heat the same as street tires. Street tires come to temp quicker and have a compound structure that allow them to work great at street pace. Under your mentality, you can run street compound tires all day perfectly fine at the track. You can, until they get too hot and get greasy as a result.

Trust me, I know a few things about tires and compounds and would sell race take offs all day to street guys BUT let them understand that they will take some time to get heat into them.

Why does it not surprise me that you would say this... :rolleyes:

Really??? Where did i state street compound tires can run perfectly fine at the track all day??? Now your putting words in my mouth. Don't make an ass out of yourself by assuming.

So race compound tires do not heat up the same as street tires huh... I guess the head guy of Pirelli USA is talking out his ass when he specifically said and his words printed; RACE tires heat up just as quickly as street tires, and the myth they do not is just that a myth!:eek:

Now i just find this statement you made as absurd as possible.

Street tires come to temp quicker and have a compound structure that allow them to work great at street pace
Street tires have a compound structure that allows them to work great at street pace but Race tires don't. Are you serious, what structure might that be??? LOL, come on bro now your just trying to catch without bait.

The only statment you made up there that makes sense is

Just much longer well that is what im disputing with you. It does not take that much longer for them to heat up. In fact the difference is so insignifcant the top guy at Pirelli called it a Myth.

My original response was to his original statement so maybe i should have read the entire thread but my advice is far from bad.

They aren't doing it right. Ever seen Collin Edwards on Michelin street tires?

Never an issue. I've also ridden pretty hard at the track on DOT street compound tires. Proper heat up time will allow the tire to work rather well. Of course, it got a little greasy, but rider ability helps, too.

Guys crash at the track on the first lap with race tires, too. Cause? Poor judgement usually.

Tires don't let go for no reason unless they are worn or not to temp or over temp or poor tire management...

I'll give you POS street tires are never any good, but there are some really good street compound tires that at street pace will do just fine...

There are many reasons why guys crash, all im pointing out is that your better off with good tires over hard compound commuter tires.

Ill give you that some street tries are good tires but they are usually street/track tires like the corsaIII and pp2ct which guys run for double duty.

Why does it not surprise me that you would say this... :rolleyes:

Really??? Where did i state street compound tires can run perfectly fine at the track all day??? Now your putting words in my mouth. Don't make an ass out of yourself by assuming.

So race compound tires do not heat up the same as street tires huh... I guess the head guy of Pirelli USA is talking out his ass when he specifically said and his words printed; RACE tires heat up just as quickly as street tires, and the myth they do not is just that a myth!:eek:

Now i just find this statement you made as absurd as possible. Street tires have a compound structure that allows them to work great at street pace but Race tires don't. Are you serious, what structure might that be??? LOL, come on bro now your just trying to catch without bait.

The only statment you made up there that makes sense is Just much longer well that is what im disputing with you. It does not take that much longer for them to heat up. In fact the difference is so insignifcant the top guy at Pirelli called it a Myth.

My original response was to his original statement so maybe i should have read the entire thread but my advice is far from bad.

You talk a lot out of your ass. Wanna show me where the Pirelli guy stated that the race compound tires heat up just as fast as street tires?

I used the race track idea for street tires in an effort to point out your buds are doing something wrong if they crash on street tires and seem to think they need race tires for the street...

What do I know? You're a street dude who knows everything that you hear from gixxer.com and other pointless forums...

Oh well. You win. CONGRATS!

:rolleyes:

Thats the best you have to come back with?

you really got your head in your ass don't you Mr Rossi. If there is a bigger douche bag on this forum then yourself I would be shocked.

Tell you what, pick up the phone and call Pirelli youself you Tool. You seem to know more then anyone here so go knock yourself out.

You contradict yourself by trying to assume me saying street tires are good for the track then you show a video of Edwards testing street/track tires??? are you that clueless

Im done with you and this thread but to shut a tool like yourself up here is the article, hopefully you learn something from a Street guy that gets his info from gixxer.com :rolleyes:

http://sportrider.automotive.com/98090/146-0810-how-to-warm-up-new-tires/index.html

Best tires you can buy are the dunlop Ntec UK tires. got a set on my bike and they are like glue... of course there are others as well from other manufacturers but here in so Cali dunlop is king
well this is ohioriders not so cali riders. Really dunslops, really?

That was a fun read. I love tire arguments!

I have never heard anything bad about PP's, PP2ct, M3's, BT16 or CorsaIII. Always good things.

Shinko's on the other hand- I hear their a good cheap rubber for cruisers. That's all I have ever heard.

And for Dunlops- The stock d220's that came on my bike sucked horribly! Maybe it's just that tire or they have a better tire but I am not going to find out.

I will ask the people that have the experience and go from there.

So with all the research and talking to the guys that race on SVR, RideOhio and Canyon Chasers I was recommend and bought Conti Road Attacks. Better price point the the PP's or Corsa's but is not the same quality. For the riding that I do, all canyon and very little freeway they have been great. I will buy another set any day. But then again I can't justify an extra $100 for a set of rubber that I wouldn't really benefit from.

Nice little read on Conti RA's.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/blog/archives/75-Continental-Road-Attacks-Tested.html

ive ran the conti sport attack in the front with the road attack in the rear with no problems. most of the guys in coshocton ride them. that being said im wanting to try some pp or some race takes offs as i plan on doing more track days this year and just want to see what else is out there. i will never have anthign to say about my contis as they have preformed super duper!

Thats the best you have to come back with?

you really got your head in your ass don't you Mr Rossi. If there is a bigger douche bag on this forum then yourself I would be shocked.

Tell you what, pick up the phone and call Pirelli youself you Tool. You seem to know more then anyone here so go knock yourself out.

You contradict yourself by trying to assume me saying street tires are good for the track then you show a video of Edwards testing street/track tires??? are you that clueless

Im done with you and this thread but to shut a tool like yourself up here is the article, hopefully you learn something from a Street guy that gets his info from gixxer.com :rolleyes:

http://sportrider.automotive.com/98090/146-0810-how-to-warm-up-new-tires/index.html

Ok... I think we are both saying the same thing. I apologize if it got to a point that we are arguing pretty much the same thing...

I think you were saying what the article is saying in that the tires come to temp pretty much the same. True. They go to 10 degrees, 20 degrees, to 100 degrees, etc.

My point was this:

Use the street tire to be ST. Use race tire to be RT...

ST has an optimal temp of 125 degrees where it works at it's best. The range runs up from there. RT has an optimal setting (noted in the article you posted) of 165 degrees and up from there.

A street tire if heated with warmers to 165 degrees will be very greasy and will not provide the best suitable traction. RT is heated to 165 degrees will be best in that environment where those temps are reached. Thus, a street tire at the track isn't a good idea for the best traction. Can be done, but not ideal.

Same with the RT. It will come to 125 degrees well enough, but it isn't going to provide the best traction at that temp as it is designed to be at 165 or so. Now the ST will work great.

The tires such as the 2CT and what Pirelli stated in the article are tires that bridge a gap. They offer the best of both worlds and can be used in each environment easily w/o too much of a problem. However, at aggressive track pace, they tend to fall off performance wise.

Here's the article as I copied it from the posted link:

"Finally, there is the aspect of using race tires on the street. Interestingly, Knoche says Pirelli's street and DOT race tires should come up to temperature equally quickly and at no time does the race compound offer less traction than that of the street tire. However, this is not a statement that we feel can be safely applied to all brands of tires, as we've heard differently from tire engineers (not marketing managers) from other companies regarding their specific brand."

I agree that they will come to temp equally and I think that's what you were saying. I apologize. I was referring to performance levels at certain temps.

Think of it this way:

My wife's sports car. She has a set of tires that are Summer Performance only tires. They work great at temps above say, 50 degrees. Good adhesion, the optimal operating temps are easily obtained and held. Now, if it gets to winter, we use winter/snow tires. These tires are good at temps below 40 degrees. They offer good adhesion, and reach optimal temps easily and are held as long as needed.

However, the summer tires suck at grip in 40 or lower temps. the compound cannot reach the desired temp for that type of compound. Same with the winter tire. If I use it in July on an 80 degree day, they would turn to rubber cement. They get gummy and greasy. They reach the same temp as they need to be, but exceed their optimal temp for best performance. Make sense?

Otherwise, we'd have a single compound to use for both street and track. Tire companies could save billions if they could develop a tire that does both equally well.

Race tires for the street probably work great for you guys and the guys out here that carve a lot of curvy roads and ride aggressively. that beautiful 200+ hp GSXR you have would eat tires if ridden well and I assume you can ride it that way.

However, average street riders don't need nor can get use out of race tires for the street. Average riders don't have over 200 hp GSXRs, either. So, I put you into the range outside the average.

Again, sorry for the bashing and you were right. I was correct to a degree as well and will make an attempt to be more precise when debating.

ive ran the conti sport attack in the front with the road attack in the rear with no problems. most of the guys in coshocton ride them. that being said im wanting to try some pp or some race takes offs as i plan on doing more track days this year and just want to see what else is out there. i will never have anthign to say about my contis as they have preformed super duper!

good tires

Really dunslops, really?

Metzlers? Really? I have ran nothing but Dunlops and love them. The OEM 207's that came stock, I admit sucked and I broke them loset in the turns more than once, but what OEM tires are really that great?. After that, I upgraded to the 208 street tire and it was a damn good tire. I am running the Dunlop Roadsmart sport touring tires now and you see how I push my bike hard and they hold on very well. In fact, I think they are better than the 208's I had. Hell, Nick just ordered a set of Roadsmarts for his 14 so we'll see how he likes them this spring. I dont get why mmany people think Dunlops are sloppy tires. I have never had an issue other than OEM, and I think a lot of people give them a bad rep based on hearsay, not on actual experience.

Metzlers? Really? I have ran nothing but Dunlops and love them. The OEM 207's that came stock, I admit sucked and I broke them loset in the turns more than once, but what OEM tires are really that great?. After that, I upgraded to the 208 street tire and it was a damn good tire. I am running the Dunlop Roadsmart sport touring tires now and you see how I push my bike hard and they hold on very well. In fact, I think they are better than the 208's I had. Hell, Nick just ordered a set of Roadsmarts for his 14 so we'll see how he likes them this spring. I dont get why mmany people think Dunlops are sloppy tires. I have never had an issue other than OEM, and I think a lot of people give them a bad rep based on hearsay, not on actual experience.

BT016's. Stock on both the GSXR600 and GSXR750. when i had the old qualifiers on my bike, i wasnt a very big fan. the turn-in was horrible, but i wasnt really pushing them hard or close to hard back then..