Looking to get Geo-Thermal

Akula

I want to get Geo-Thermal heating for my house because propane is insanely expensive.

I had ComfortXpress come out and do a very detailed site survey. I told the sales guy that I had the money to buy it. I asked over and over for the quote.

nothing, for 3 months.

Anyone know of a company that does Geo-Thermal heating?

I don't know of any GeoTherm companies, but I thought I would comment on the mediocrity of many sales people. I just don't understand how these people put food on the table. What ever happened to taking some initiative and being good at what you've chosen to do?

I want to get Geo-Thermal heating for my house because propane is insanely expensive.

I had ComfortXpress come out and do a very detailed site survey. I told the sales guy that I had the money to buy it. I asked over and over for the quote.

nothing, for 3 months.

Anyone know of a company that does Geo-Thermal heating?

A very good friend of mine does Geothermal. http://www.jonsplumbing.com

I am not sure if he will go to Hilliard or not. But it is worth a try.

Tell him Rick Rodgers sent you.

Being that i have done a few design jobs for geothermal systems on commercial buildings, i can tell you a few things.

also, try to get a hold of Greg Wells of Jackson Geothermal. 419-566-1095

3401 St. Rt. 13 South

Mansfield Ohio 44904

1. its is not cheap. The cost of the bore holes is high. Can be up to 1000 dollars per hole depending on your location. We had a site that had 40 holes.

2. There are actually two ways to do the loops, one is vertical the other is horizontally. odds are you don't have the means to do horizontal (shear space) to get enough loading.

3. The furnace has to be replaced. Anything that uses the existing furnace is either crap or not effective.

4. You will still have an electric aux. heater.

Being that i have done a few design jobs for geothermal systems on commercial buildings, i can tell you a few things.

also, try to get a hold of Greg Wells of Jackson Geothermal. 419-566-1095

3401 St. Rt. 13 South

Mansfield Ohio 44904

1. its is not cheap. The cost of the bore holes is high. Can be up to 1000 dollars per hole depending on your location. We had a site that had 40 holes.

2. There are actually two ways to do the loops, one is vertical the other is horizontally. odds are you don't have the means to do horizontal (shear space) to get enough loading.

3. The furnace has to be replaced. Anything that uses the existing furnace is either crap or not effective.

4. You will still have an electric aux. heater.

Jackson is just down the road from me. About 10 miles. I know a guy that worked for them they do solid work too.

when i build my house in wisconsin--this is the route i'm going. the savings in the long run are tremendous--most of the people there are doing this.

As I understand it, it's much easier to do in the construction stages. That way there's no damage to existing yard/landscaping, and it can be done in combination with well-drilling etc. Also, as was mentioned you can go w/ the right kind of hvac in the basement from the beginning. The company I work for does this kind of work on a much larger commercial/industrial basis, I think it's really interesting stuff.

when i build my house in wisconsin--this is the route i'm going. the savings in the long run are tremendous--most of the people there are doing this.

From what my friend tells me it take about 10-12 years to recoup the cost. The down side is most people don't stay in a home that long.

I am looking into the outdoor wood burners, they are a lot cheaper, but you have to feed them daily. I am not sure if I want to do the amount of work it will require to keep it running.

As I understand it, it's much easier to do in the construction stages. That way there's no damage to existing yard/landscaping, and it can be done in combination with well-drilling etc. Also, as was mentioned you can go w/ the right kind of hvac in the basement from the beginning. The company I work for does this kind of work on a much larger commercial/industrial basis, I think it's a really interesting stuff.

Out of curiosity who do you work for?

So some comments. It costs me $800/5weeks to heat in the winter. I have a neighbor with the exact same house that pays $120/month for electric and is on geo-thermal. Thus, the ROI is much shorter and since Propane isn't getting cheaper....

I have 3 acres of land and plenty of room for a slinky-coil rather than doing wells. so I don't have to recirc vertically or pump and dump.

From what my friend tells me it take about 10-12 years to recoup the cost. The down side is most people don't stay in a home that long.

I am looking into the outdoor wood burners, they are a lot cheaper, but you have to feed them daily. I am not sure if I want to do the amount of work it will require to keep it running.

Ha...I have loaded one, one too many times. If you would like to experience it before you decide I can get you hook up. When its -20 outside and your outback throwing 6 logs in it you'll regret it. But having no gas bill and heating your whole house, garage, shop, and 3 season room, you'll love it.

Ha...I have loaded one, one too many times. If you would like to experience it before you decide I can get you hook up. When its -20 outside and your outback throwing 6 logs in it you'll regret it. But having no gas bill and heating your whole house, garage, shop, and 3 season room, you'll love it.

That is why I have not went for it. I have also been looking at the corn burners, they may be a little easier to manage. My house cost about $300 in the winter. I just moved my office down the road, my gas bill there was $1k/month during the winter. I get tired of send that much money to Columbia Gas.

You're right, the ROI can be substantial. We designed two Wall-Mart Stores that use an underground systems at locations in Vegas and both are not only comfy but realizing a huge savings over time. Not to mention, it's the right thing to do for the environment.

So some comments. It costs me $800/5weeks to heat in the winter. I have a neighbor with the exact same house that pays $120/month for electric and is on geo-thermal. Thus, the ROI is much shorter and since Propane isn't getting cheaper....

I have 3 acres of land and plenty of room for a slinky-coil rather than doing wells. so I don't have to recirc vertically or pump and dump.

alternatively, move south.

i'm in tampa right now, in the miserable heat/humidity. i can't go outside for 5 minutes without sweating through whatever i'm wearing. i knew it was going to be like this, so i'm not complaining--just stating that i wouldn't want to live here permanently. nobody goes outside their house at all--i'm used to hanging out outside and seeing my neighbors.

my car also runs like absolute shit in this heat/humidity

double

i'm guessing that i'll recoup the money in wisconsin a lot faster, since its so damn cold up there, and my house will probably be big enough that the savings will be huge. i will also have a fairly large heated garage/shop