what kind of oil & filter do you use?

brennan

i'm starting this thread just out of curiosity. i've only done one oil change on my bike so far. i use oem filters (it's just one of those things if you work for a dealership, you swear up and down by them), and i used a castrol synthetic because it's what was in stock at shipps. i'm just curious as to really what oil people prefer and have the best luck with and your opinions on filters.

i have personally cut open a fram filter

they are (no lie) like cardboard on the inside, shitty filtration. (i did a study on filters in high school)

edit: i've been kinda curious about the repsol oil

or how royal purple would be, i hear nothing but great things about that stuff

Edited by brennan

oem bro

what about oil?

and i feel if it's oe, it was made specifically for your bike, it should be the only filter you use (that's just me)

example: s2000's can only take oem filters, aftermarket ones don't allow enough oil flow. i have seen many come in with spun rod bearings due to this.

gn4 honda oil and whatever filter is convient for me I have used honda filter, fram, and k&n. I usually use k&n for the convient nut welded on the end, I generally don't use the honda filter cause the price is stupid.

what about oil?

and i feel if it's oe, it was made specifically for your bike, it should be the only filter you use (that's just me)

example: s2000's can only take oem filters, aftermarket ones don't allow enough oil flow. i have seen many come in with spun rod bearings due to this.

yeah man they dont make a high performance filter for my bike so im stuck with oem but it suits me just fine. as long as it keeps the shit out thats all that matters. as far as oil i only use amsoil. best oil you can buy...wait for it...wait for it...someone will disagree

These threads turn out to be a deal where 100 people will have 100 different answers. Use a good quality oil from the likes of Repsol, Maxima, Motul, etc. and you'll be fine. Don't really fall for the Amsoil sales pitches. They'd be used by more top teams and privateers if they were as good as they say. They're good, but not head and shoulders over others as they claim.

OEM filters are a great idea as they are designed for any particular motor being used. There are GREAT alternatives like Vesrah, etc...

To each their own, but in the end, it is your decision and your decision alone.

I've the inside of the Fram also kinda scary. I use OEM on the bikes.

I read a 40 page study once about Synthetic vs. Conventional oil once. It basically said Synthetic only makes a difference if the motor would over heat. It would then give more protection as it does nto break down like conventional oil.

Then you get into additives and all that gunk. I just use Honda oil.

It's all in the Sf, Ji, rating thing.

I've the inside of the Fram also kinda scary. I use OEM on the bikes.

I read a 40 page study once about Synthetic vs. Conventional oil once. It basically said Synthetic only makes a difference if the motor would over heat. It would then give more protection as it does nto break down like conventional oil.

Then you get into additives and all that gunk. I just use Honda oil.

It's all in the Sf, Ji, rating thing.

i figure if i'm going to be revving my bike that high, i might as well stick with a good synthetic. i wouldn't want a conventional breaking down on me too early.

Purolator here with Mobil 1 synthetic (20W50 in the SV, and 10W40 in the 'busa). Though I've read the K&N filters do just fine. I'm sure there are other oils that are fine too, but based on my personal research, I like Valvoline or Mobil 1. I change my oil well before 5000 miles anyway because I'm paranoid, so in reality, I could probably get away with running crappier oil.

There are a ton of other oil threads with a lot of other information (use the nifty "search" feature) - I know I've posted a few links in the other one for further reading. The most important thing to look for in an oil is that is meets the JASO MA2 spec, and you're good.

Edited by JRMMiii

i figure if i'm going to be revving my bike that high, i might as well stick with a good synthetic. i wouldn't want a conventional breaking down on me too early.

The way it read was that the Synthetic could handle higher, not normal temperatures before breaking down vs. conventional oil. not that one or the other would break down at normal operating temps before the other. basically syn could handle a higher temp than conventional. Both heat ranges were way hotter than any operating temp.

When i realized this i quit spending the bucks on synthetic unless i was driving a jalopy that i was afraid would overheat often.

Edited by Gump

no plugs for sponsors bro :D

Thing is, though that Vesrah actually makes a lot of OEM filters for the Japanese. Also, have enough hours running Vesrah filters, gaskets, clutches, brake pads, etc to know their stuff is some, if not THE best out there...

I also know that Fram makes garbage. The bikes with the high compression should be using a good to excellent motorcycle synthetic. I use Castrol Actevo because it seems reasonable for my lower compression engine. I do like the more advanced filters, but they don't have to be expensive. Some of the best filters are some of the cheapest. They have additional micro filtering that all the others do not. There are not many that have that yet. Eventually all filters probably will have that.