What would you like Ohio Riders to be?

Casper

Now before I start this, I'm going to warn you all: any junk posted in this thread will be moved. I want to keep this a serious discussion.

Over the past few months I've added a lot of features to the website. I have a ton more in store including blogs, group forums, improved photo albums (ability to upload multiple pics at once, ability to use links instead of uploading from your computer, etc), and several others.

But I've never really asked, what do you all want to see here? Are there any features on other boards you really like?

I can't promise I'll get everything done everyone wants. However, I sure will try.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok here's some i just thought of, if they are already here disregard them.

a trackday specific section, only trackday talk -- we have a road racing section already i know, but thats jumbled with a bunch of random talk of races/bikes/etc...(valve adjustments in the road racing section?) im talking purely for those that already have/want to do a trackday this is the sub topic they go to, to easily answer/ask questions

combine all the racing news into one, ama/motogp/wsbk (wsbk is getting bigger now...make sure to include this) do we really need a speedtv news thing? most of that could go into the aforementioned sub topic.

product review section, for those getting newly released helmets/gloves/jackets/etc to the let the rest of us know what they think and even for the not so motorcycle stuff such as books or videos. we have a shop review, i suggest we keep these two seperate, or merge it doesn't matter much.

riding tips section, for the n00bs and experts alike who just want to ask a simple question about how to take a certain kind of turn, etc...

and in general clean some of the threads up ie move them to the right place, if you want to make me a temp mod i could do it in my free time and when i think im done you can remove me... ;)

Edited by natedogg624

a trackday specific section, only trackday talk

In the Motorcycle Competition section, there is a forum named Road Racing. That's where all the track day talk is.

combine all the racing news into one, ama/motogp/wsbk

Are you talking about the News Feeds towards the bottom of the list of forums?

product review section, for those getting newly released helmets/gloves/jackets/etc

Honestly, I thought I already had. :lol: I'll get that one up shortly.

riding tips section, for the n00bs and experts alike who just want to ask a simple question about how to take a certain kind of turn, etc...

I like that idea. I'll get that up too.

and in general clean some of the threads up ie move them to the right place, if you want to make me a temp mod i could do it in my free time and when i think im done you can remove me... ;)

Unfortunately, it's impossible for the mods/admins to read every post. There are 500 - 1000 news posts each day. I move on average a dozen threads a day. However, you can help. In the upper right corner of each post, you'll see report.gif. If you click on that, you can report the post. A thread is then made in the mods/admins section telling us to look at it. You can put in a note saying it needs moved, it's offensive, it violates the rules, etc. That helps us tremendously.

see my edits.

Are you talking about the News Feeds towards the bottom of the list of forums?

yes.

Unfortunately, it's impossible for the mods/admins to read every post. There are 500 - 1000 news posts each day. I move on average a dozen threads a day. However, you can help. In the upper right corner of each post, you'll see report.gif. If you click on that, you can report the post. A thread is then made in the mods/admins section telling us to look at it. You can put in a note saying it needs moved, it's offensive, it violates the rules, etc. That helps us tremendously.

yea i knew about that, i know its hard ben i was just trying my luck out with the mod thing...lol

well those are my ideas, take them as you please!

Edited by natedogg624

ok here's some i just thought of, if they are already here disregard them.

a trackday specific section, only trackday talk -- we have a road racing section already i know, but thats jumbled with a bunch of random talk of races/bikes/etc...(valve adjustments in the road racing section?) im talking purely for those that already have/want to do a trackday this is the sub topic they go to, to easily answer/ask questions

combine all the racing news into one, ama/motogp/wsbk (wsbk is getting bigger now...make sure to include this) do we really need a speedtv news thing? most of that could go into the aforementioned sub topic.

product review section, for those getting newly released helmets/gloves/jackets/etc to the let the rest of us know what they think and even for the not so motorcycle stuff such as books or videos. we have a shop review, i suggest we keep these two seperate, or merge it doesn't matter much.

Those are some good ideas.....

I know some of the forums I visit have a poll for bike of the month. Personally I like the nominate other members bikes and not your own. Plus the thread seems to get alot of attention.

Just a thought.

referring back to those ama/motogp news feeds. i just realized they come up if i click on "todays posts" but not with "new posts" link.

i think most of us click the new posts option and don't do the todays post, basically id just like to see this section get more traffic.

referring back to those ama/motogp news feeds. i just realized they come up if i click on "todays posts" but not with "new posts" link.

i think most of us click the new posts option and don't do the todays post, basically id just like to see this section get more traffic.

An overwhelming amount of people didn't want them listed in the New Posts. The reason is because of how many there are. They're just RSS news feeds from their websites.

I know some of the forums I visit have a poll for bike of the month. Personally I like the nominate other members bikes and not your own. Plus the thread seems to get alot of attention.

Just a thought.

I've been working on that. It's coming as well. I think it'll be a member of the month though.

combine all the racing news into one, ama/motogp/wsbk

What does everyone else think about having the RSS feeds all in one forum?

product review section, for those getting newly released helmets/gloves/jackets/etc

Done.

Done.

Just a thought.

I've been working on that. It's coming as well. I think it'll be a member of the month though.

This is a great idea, i think 600rr.net has the same thing and it's really cool, I'm glad to hear you'll be adding that.

And just thought I'd mention, like a few others, that this site is already the best forum site I've been a part of, so I really only go here. It's a great example of how to run a clean and modern web forum. Ben, as a side note, you've done a great done streamlining your code for this site. Even in the simple comparison of site entry load times compared to other forums. Use 600rr.net as an example, this site loads far faster, and with less clutter. Great job.

Another thing to be considered is the post count. Svrider does this. You have to nominate someone with a min. of 20 posts. I think the reasoning is trying to keep it for the active members not just people who login once and don't contribute to the forum. I don't know if you have that problem here but if you do I would suggest you think about the post count being set at a min.

My $ .02

Another thing to be considered is the post count. Svrider does this. You have to nominate someone with a min. of 20 posts. I think the reasoning is trying to keep it for the active members not just people who login once and don't contribute to the forum. I don't know if you have that problem here but if you do I would suggest you think about the post count being set at a min.

My $ .02

Definitely.

An overwhelming amount of people didn't want them listed in the New Posts. The reason is because of how many there are. They're just RSS news feeds from their websites.

I agree with that. When I'd hit "New Posts" there for awhile.......practically all that came up was all those MCN threads that I'd have to wade through to get to the actual "member" content

I think a University of Michigan area is sorely lacking!! :D

Overly specific subforums seem to be a double edged sword in my experience......They are nice because they're neatly categorized/organized, but on the other hand, they seem to end up as low traffic areas. Then I'll find people linking in the main "Pub" area advertising their thread in the specific forum, because they're not getting enough views/answers/feedback, etc.

For instance.....One forum I hang on has a weight loss/health area. GREAT idea to trade ideas with fellow friends/members & maybe share some moral support with each other. Problem is.....It's a ghost town. People tend to forget it's out there, and since there's not many posts, it rarely pops up on "New Posts"

Honestly Ben......In less than a year, you've become my primary site I spend most of my time on, to the point you've usurped the BlackBird board. Like I told you when we were talking yesterday.......I've met/ridden with more members on here this past summer, than I have in years on the other "national" boards. You wouldn't think of a statewide board being "local"......but with my somewhat central location, I'm only about 2 hours from most anywhere/anybody, so it has that "feel" to me. Especially when members meet in the middle, cutting the time/distance in half. It also has to do with the "quality" of people/members who hang out on here ;) There's a "family" feel to it, (which isn't the case all places, even if they advertise it as such), with plenty of "get togethers".

Some of the changes you already have in the works are the things I'd like to see anyways. The blog sounds interesting as well....You'd not mentioned that one earlier.

Bottom line........I really enjoy how you've structured this place, and felt immediately at home with many of the members who hang here. I like that there's minimal moderation. Some sites go nazi on free speech (don't allow swearing or religious/political threads/NWS etc) & their places feel sterile because of it. This place has personality, but there is a line drawn in the sand that is enforced if it is crossed. I think that's the perfect blend.....I doff my cap to you sir!! thumb.gif

Edited by Fonzie

What does everyone else think about having the RSS feeds all in one forum?

Immediate reaction is I like that idea. That way they're there if I want to look at them, but not cluttering up the main board

I agree with that. When I'd hit "New Posts" there for awhile.......practically all that came up was all those MCN threads that I'd have to wade through to get to the actual "member" content

I think the University of Michigan is sore in the rear area!! :D

Overly specific subforums seem to be a double edged sword in my experience......They are nice because they're neatly categorized/organized, but on the other hand, they seem to end up as low traffic areas. Then I'll find people linking in the main "Pub" area advertising their thread in the specific forum, because they're not getting enough views/answers/feedback, etc.

For instance.....One forum I hang on has a weight loss/health area. GREAT idea to trade ideas with fellow friends/members & maybe share some moral support with each other. Problem is.....It's a ghost town. People tend to forget it's out there, and since there's not many posts, it rarely pops up on "New Posts"

Honestly Ben......In less than a year, you've become my primary site I spend most of my time on, to the point you've usurped the BlackBird board. Like I told you when we were talking yesterday.......I've met/ridden with more members on here this past summer, than I have in years on the other "national" boards. You wouldn't think of a statewide board being "local"......but with my somewhat central location, I'm only about 2 hours from most anywhere/anybody, so it has that "feel" to me. Especially when members meet in the middle, cutting the time/distance in half. It also has to do with the "quality" of people/members who hang out on here ;) There's a "family" feel to it, (which isn't the case all places, even if they advertise it as such), with plenty of "get togethers".

Some of the changes you already have in the works are the things I'd like to see anyways. The blog sounds interesting as well....You'd not mentioned that one earlier.

Bottom line........I really enjoy how you've structured this place, and felt immediately at home with many of the members who hang here. I like that there's minimal moderation. Some sites go nazi on free speech (don't allow swearing or religious/political threads/NWS etc) & their places feel sterile because of it. This place has personality, but there is a line drawn in the sand that is enforced if it is crossed. I think that's the perfect blend.....I doff my cap to you sir!! thumb.gif

Fixed it for you.... I agree with everything you said.... quality post my friend!!