long distance riding

bigbluebird

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grand island Nebraska. it was a long ride on the sv650. no pics though rode with my father to visit brother. and we were on a mission highways the whole way.

also the whole trip was flat. but next time i will stop to catch some wind turbine shots.

but looking back i ended up taking way to much stuff, next time it will be a much smaller bag on my bike

on super fun side note did pass the 100 mark on the speedo

made many trips with my wife, me on my Honda Arow and her an a 650Yamaha. About 7000miles each summer. 2yrs ago I traded for an 06 RoadKing and she bought an 04 Softail Heritage. The past 2 seasons we put 15000 on each of our bikes. Instead of stopping to rest every 50miles we can now ride 100miles then fill up the tank and continue on our way.

Pah! Yer a bunch of nancy boys....:rolleyes:

Okay, not really. Hate to turn this into a willy waving thread, but my friend Dave rode his R6 to Laguna Seca for the GP race twice. Stock seat, stock everything. We did 1,000 miles on the first day (Indy to Denver) and 1,000 miles 8 days later on the return. Had a couple of 700 mile days in between, but our average day was probably around 500 miles.

I have a sport tourer, so it was a cakewalk for me, but Dave is a man amongst men. On the first trip he was 40 years old and the second time was when he was 44. So you younger guys should have no issues:p

He rode his father's Gold Wing out to a WSB race with me at Laguna once and swore he'd never ride a tour bike again as it was a pig in the mountains and we had to wait for him a few times.

Last year, we went to Utah for the WSB race and then on to Northern California and Dave rode his new FZ1 - he thinks it's the perfect bike for longer rides. That trip was right at 7,000 miles in about 12 days.

I have to agree the SV is not a great touring bike. There a lot of people that can do some long miles on the SV but it's not for me. I have ridden them with stock seats, OEM gel seat and Corbin (current seat) and still think anything over 3 hours begins to become a pain in the a**. The only good thing is when you don't have your butt planted in the seat for hours at a shot it is hella fun in the twisties. You just have to move around a lot and sore a** isn't an issue. I bought some adjustable rear sets this winter and am hoping they will help a little with the long haul to southern ohio. We will see.

The moral to my little story is if you want to do Touring buy a Touring bike. I know a ST, FJR, or Concours is going to be my next bike. But the SV's not going to leave the stable. Way to much fun!

What seat do you suggest for an sv? I'm getting one this spring and plan on taking a trip or two on it.

The consensus that I have heard is for the S Corbin is the way to go and for the N Sargent or OEM gel. Out the the 3 seats I have tried I would prefer the OEM gel seat. I have also heard sending your seat into Great Day to ride is a very good option. http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

• 2 weeks later...

the other thing that my uncle does for his HD is he carries a 740ml REI fuel bottle in case the gap between gas stations exceeds his tank range. on the way to Nebraska there were a couple spots where my dads 120 mile range was pressed. on the sv i had about a 220 to 240 range.

it got to a point where we were almost looking for some tubing to siphon gas into his tank from mine.

ie the lesson is get gas often espicially if you have a limitied tank or short range.

Radio Flyer

the gel seat also helps to lower the seat height. i am a bit on the shorter side of 5,4 so anything to lower the bikes seat is a plus. also it is just more comfortable.

I know some guys on my BB board that SWEAR by those butt bead pads you can get. These are guys who ride all over the country & think nothing of 5-700 mile days. I'm a lightweight amongst them

I know some guys on my BB board that SWEAR by those butt bead pads you can get. These are guys who ride all over the country & think nothing of 5-700 mile days. I'm a lightweight amongst them

dude surprisingly on our big trip my ass felt fine it was my back that was stiff

yeah but your back is on top of your butt.

your butt might be fine (flame on) but if you are not lined up right or your out of alignment your back works harder.

the gel seat cushions and give a little more give in how you sit to allow for a better overall comfort......probably

i was just saying i dont think i would have been hurting much at all if we werent if full tuck most of the day :lol:

i have been tellin cdub to check into those gel seats for awhile now for his cruiser. he said his lower back and ass hurt after rides.

i was in full tuck for most of my trip home and my back was fine what got me was the leg cramps i ended up using my frame sliders as highway pegs halfway through the trip.

then from time to time and leaned all the way forward and put my shins on the passenger pegs and supermaned it to stretch out a bit

i was in full tuck for most of my trip home and my back was fine what got me was the leg cramps i ended up using my frame sliders as highway pegs halfway through the trip.

then from time to time and leaned all the way forward and put my shins on the passenger pegs and supermaned it to stretch out a bit

i have been guilth of shins on my pegs but never passenger :lol:

and i call the leg cramps you get on like the inside of your thigh sex cramps. cuz having sex for a long while is the only other thing that makes my legs cramp like that hahaha :lol::D

i was just saying i dont think i would have been hurting much at all if we werent if full tuck most of the day :lol:

i have been tellin cdub to check into those gel seats for awhile now for his cruiser. he said his lower back and ass hurt after rides.

Bought a gel seat for the Busa, after a round trip ride to C-bus it came off. It sucks. Tobin or Corbin are the only thing better than stock

Should'a pulled off the side of the highway & eaten a banana while doin' some yoga :D

Should'a pulled off the side of the highway & eaten a banana while doin' some yoga :D

its a good thing that guardrail was there or we would have had to get nick to get on his hands and knees so you could have something to get all stretched out with.

oh my how those are good memories :)

I had a 2004 SV650S. I rode it 580 miles in 1 day from Cleveland Ohio to Norfolk Virginia. I had the Suzuki Gel Seat. It is great for about 450-500 miles. Those last 80 miles sucked. I was alright up until that point. I only stopped for gas so I didn't take that many breaks. I have since sold my SV and bought a Hayabusa. I already started the mods for a ride down to the Gap. I will be sending my seat to Tobin. His seats are better then any aftermarket seat out there.