Worried About Home Break-Ins?

KillJoy

If it ever happens, you better hope the prosecutor doesn't find this comment, or anything like it about you. This goes for everyone on here saying how they are going to shoot someone if they enter your home.

I know you have the legal right to protect yourself. But you don't want anything that can be said bad against you. Like you are a 'gun nut'. Or you hoped someone would break in so you could shoot them. Even if you are never even arraigned on legal charges, you will be sued civilly and more is allowed there than in criminal trials.

Bottom line. If you are going to protect yourself with a gun, or any 'deadly weapon' if someone enters your home, just fucking do it. Don't tell anyone, don't post it on here. You're only setting yourself up to be in a worse case if you ever have to do it.

This is what's wrong with America.

Simple cause and effect, guy doesn't break in, guy doesn't get shot.

Next case.

as much as guns are great protection, the OP's examples are a better deterrent. as has been said before, break-ins are typically planned and not totally random. thus, if someone staking out your place sees plenty of security and locks, etc. they'll be more inclined to move on over to your neighbor's place.

This is what's wrong with America.

Simple cause and effect, guy doesn't break in, guy doesn't get shot.

Next case.

Right or wrong, it is what it is. Understand the system or get fucked. If you know some place that's better, move there.

You better hope if you ever shoot someone in self defense that post is never seen.

Most builders use Oriented Strand Board, not plywood, under the siding.

Windows break pretty readily, chainsaws get into houses fast too.

I think shooting burglers and putting their heads on a pike lining your driveway would be a deterrent.

Ain't skurred, I sleep lightly. I'd actually like to try my battle hatchet on someone

http://www.mineralmountain.com/images/hatchets-web5.jpg

That axe is sweet.

I would bare knuckle box the guy to the death. If he declined the challenge or pulled a weapon. I would call him a girl and laugh continuously.

lol

Has anyone here ever actually experienced a break-in? I have and owned a firearm at the time; didn't use it. Saw someone walk by my bedroom window on the front porch, second story, no reason to walk by my windown unless you're coming to my apt. Wondering why my roomate hadn't come in my room yet, I walked into the hallway and living room entrance. Realizing it wasn't my roomate, I took a step back to assess the situation and see what kind of courage I was going to muster up. I noticed the guy looked like he was actually heading back out the window, realized I had plenty of courage, rage, need to protect, etc and I charged him. Smacked him around pretty badly. Wife and friend's gf come out of my room and turn on the lights. Guy was bleeding as I held him against the front door. He couldn't really speak English and reached for a pocket inside his jacket. He took an elbow/forearm to the face a couple times for his effort and then I held it against his neck..... Turns out he was reaching for his wallet. lol oops

Long story short, turned out he was just some drunk Mexican labor worker who'd gotten confused on where he lived. (Sidenote: No lights in this area of the complex. Literally, pitch black when there was no moon and even then, alot was blocked by trees, etc.) His key wouldn't work (no shit), so he came in through the window, realized he was in the wrong place and tried to go back out through the window. He took nothing. Cops eventually came, I pressed no charges (what would be the point of pursuing it any further) as he'd already learned a valuable lesson and ass whipping.

That axe is sweet.

lol

Has anyone here ever actually experienced a break-in? I have and owned a firearm at the time; didn't use it. Saw someone walk by my bedroom window on the front porch, second story, no reason to walk by my windown unless you're coming to my apt. Wondering why my roomate hadn't come in my room yet, I walked into the hallway and living room entrance. Realizing it wasn't my roomate, I took a step back to assess the situation and see what kind of courage I was going to muster up. I noticed the guy looked like he was actually heading back out the window, realized I had plenty of courage, rage, need to protect, etc and I charged him. Smacked him around pretty badly. Wife and friend's gf come out of my room and turn on the lights. Guy was bleeding as I held him against the front door. He couldn't really speak English and reached for a pocket inside his jacket. He took an elbow/forearm to the face a couple times for his effort and then I held it against his neck..... Turns out he was reaching for his wallet. lol oops

Long story short, turned out he was just some drunk Mexican labor worker who'd gotten confused on where he lived. (Sidenote: No lights in this area of the complex. Literally, pitch black when there was no moon and even then, alot was blocked by trees, etc.) His key wouldn't work (no shit), so he came in through the window, realized he was in the wrong place and tried to go back out through the window. He took nothing. Cops eventually came, I pressed no charges (what would be the point of pursuing it any further) as he'd already learned a valuable lesson and ass whipping.

Courage, or stupidity.

Going after someone that could potentially have a weapon.....knife, gun etc with your fists lol. Smart.

Has anyone here ever actually experienced a break-in? I have and owned a firearm at the time; didn't use it. Saw someone walk by my bedroom window on the front porch, second story, no reason to walk by my windown unless you're coming to my apt. Wondering why my roomate hadn't come in my room yet, I walked into the hallway and living room entrance. Realizing it wasn't my roomate, I took a step back to assess the situation and see what kind of courage I was going to muster up. I noticed the guy looked like he was actually heading back out the window, realized I had plenty of courage, rage, need to protect, etc and I charged him. Smacked him around pretty badly. Wife and friend's gf come out of my room and turn on the lights. Guy was bleeding as I held him against the front door. He couldn't really speak English and reached for a pocket inside his jacket. He took an elbow/forearm to the face a couple times for his effort and then I held it against his neck..... Turns out he was reaching for his wallet. lol oops.

WOW...good practice at least. Back in 94 we had someone get in our apartment at Governors Square off Henderson/Kenny the day after we moved in. Never confronted or saw the guy as he took off out the sliding door he managed to get in. We were prepared, but he likely heard us and bolted. I can say I almost shot my cat though :o

I fucking hated that place. After that we never had a break in, but her car was busted into 3-4 times. If I had to do it over, I'd would have never moved into an apartment near there.

Courage, or stupidity.

Going after someone that could potentially have a weapon.....knife, gun etc with your fists lol. Smart.

I agree. Wasn't the smartest thing to probably do. However, it was more reflex once I realized it was a stranger. I remember feeling angry, violated, and wanting to protect those around me. Trust me when I say I came at him way too fast, quiet and hard for him to react. I'm not a small man. Most would probably want a weapon against me. Given the choice of an alternative outcome, Im glad it was only my fists and that I didn't kill him. I am aware it couldn've gone the other way, though.

:eek:

Am I the ONLY one that caught this?????

KillJoy

Oh, yeah. Long story... not really, but I probably shouldn't elaborate as it opens a whole 'nother can o worms.

You are wrong for this post. See the link I posted above... Plywood isn't the only sheathing used in home construction.

Many building codes don't let you use exterior gypsum on lower levels. Or if you do it has to be behind masonry.

Sadly, if someone wants in, they will find a way.

KillJoy

That's true, but unless they specifically know what their after in YOUR house they will probably just target the easiest house to break into. A big part of not getting your house broken into is not making it appealing for people to try and break into. Keep you’re house well lit around your front and back doors, keep your porch clear of junk or thinks people might want to try and take. There are lots of little FREE things you can do to make your house look unappealing to a person trying to break in.

On a side note, I just got a set of stock wheel stolen from my driveway then returned. It’s funny because there were the ugliest wheels. I only bought them to mount my slicks on but I have since removed the slicks and now they are just bald ass wheels and tires. Anyway I used them as a paint stand/ work station over the summer when I was putting up a privacy fence, they had holes in the tire where I was cutting the fence and they were covered in wood stain and paint. I came home a few weeks ago and they were gone! At first I was kind of pissed because having someone steal shit from you sucks, but then I realized they did me a favor by taking them off my hands since they were completely trashed. Well a few days later I left for work around 7:00am and the tires were laying by the curb out in front of my house. :lol: apparently they were so bad the cock suckin thieves didn’t want them. Since I was dressed for work and didn’t want to get dirty moving them I went in the house and wrote a FREE sign to stick on the wheels. When I came home that night the wheels were gone. :lol:

That's true, but unless they specifically know what their after in YOUR house they will probably just target the easiest house to break into. A big part of not getting your house broken into is not making it appealing for people to try and break into. Keep you’re house well lit around your front and back doors, keep your porch clear of junk or thinks people might want to try and take. There are lots of little FREE things you can do to make your house look unappealing to a person trying to break in.

On a side note, I just got a set of stock wheel stolen from my driveway then returned. It’s funny because there were the ugliest wheels. I only bought them to mount my slicks on but I have since removed the slicks and now they are just bald ass wheels and tires. Anyway I used them as a paint stand/ work station over the summer when I was putting up a privacy fence, they had holes in the tire where I was cutting the fence and they were covered in wood stain and paint. I came home a few weeks ago and they were gone! At first I was kind of pissed because having someone steal shit from you sucks, but then I realized they did me a favor by taking them off my hands since they were completely trashed. Well a few days later I left for work around 7:00am and the tires were laying by the curb out in front of my house. :lol: apparently they were so bad the cock suckin thieves didn’t want them. Since I was dressed for work and didn’t want to get dirty moving them I went in the house and wrote a FREE sign to stick on the wheels. When I came home that night the wheels were gone. :lol:

lol That's fuckin hilarious.