How has age changed you? (Car Wise)

thorne

Well I'm only 19 and started out with a civic that a beat the sh*t out of until I moved onto my lude which I have now. Guess I haven't learned to much, but I definitely am not as wreck less as I used to be. Now I am really focusing on how all of the components on everything works which is what really interests me now. I'm also not as worried about the go fast part which I used to be alllllll about, I have since realized there isnt much go fast achievable from the lude so I just want to make a fun DD.... and eventually get a real go fast car.

In conclusion I am still young and your all old.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, I like to go fast, that'll probably never change, it's just that the urge to go fast has been tempered by sensibility.

Seriously, super high HP attracts way more dudes than chicks.

/Thread

Well said sir.

http://www.cityhall.lima.oh.us/images/hr/hatoff.gif

I have always had my priorities in other things then cars. I still loved to go fast and made friends with people who had high HP cars, but I never bought one. I love going to auto cross meets, drag meets, car shows, or whatever involves cars being on display. I loved taking pictures of everything I saw.

Photography is a high interest with me and I should of pursued it more in college. I even had a job in a photo lab for over a year because I liked it. I think if I would have went that route as a career I would have bought a high end cruiser car and toured the USA looking for that, "perfect picture" to take. Man I love traveling so much to new places I wish I could do it for the rest of my life. It is just too damn expensive to go to other countries!

All of my cars I've owned were 4 cylinders or lower (3 cylinder car ftw) because I rather spend my money on other hobbies. I ended up keeping my priorities the same my whole life. I mean I could go out and buy a new fast car but I rather not. Instead I rather go buy diamonds or go unload 200 rounds at the shooting range. But you will still see me browsing auto trader every now and then looking for a camaro to buy... =/

Although this is hardly appropriate for me to be commenting on (I'm 17, lol). But I will say that being around people who have a greater understanding of cars has "forced" me to pick up on some general things. I'm currently just trying to absorb all the information that I can about cars, how they work, how I can improve on them and my personal preferences for all of these things.

I've been through most phases....fast cars, luxery cars, SUV's, imports, domestics, etc.....In 2006 I bought the GXP in wait for the new G8. However, once it came here, too late IMO, gas prices were high, the market overall changed and quite frankly, spending $30k+ is of no value to me any more.

I basically did the Ben Franklin T-Chart and came up with the fact that I wanted something cost effective, better on gas, fun as hell in the turns, with power to boot and something smaller as I no longer need to drive a larger sedan. I wanted something safe and reliable too.

It boiled down to the Speed 3 and WRX/STi. I chose the MS3 because the new 09 WRX's weren't out, the STi was too high in price and not discounted much in July last year, used cars were out of the question and overall, it met all of my needs.

My next move will be to add a 3rd car, likely a C6, at some point, but overall, cars are taking a back seat to spending money on family, cameras and other priorities in my world right now.

I think John put it best...it's all about growing through various experiences.

I had a daily driver that ran 11's in the mid 90's when I was in HS. It was pretty quick for the day but alas the racing scene got old, my license got suspended and I got sick of paying for nonstandard insurance. I went off to college and realized it was useless for everything but going fast and got rid of it. (still miss that darn truck though)

I really appreciate a car that does everything well including look good. I've found track days at road courses to be an outstanding means to an end for my "Need for Speed" and thankfully get enough tracks days that I rarely drive like a idiot on the street anymore.

As a matter of fact I've turned into "that guy" that would rather leave his nice car in the garage for the daily commute rather than drive it. No point in driving my great handling car to sit in rush hour traffic going 20 the whole way home. I used to be about driving what I had anywhere and everywhere. Now if there's even a chance of rain I won't take them out of the garage and I detail them as much as I drive them. I'm such an old man. My only saving grace is I use them how they were intended when I drive the crap out of them at the track!

Andy

I started with slow cars and I still drive a slow car. I have always wanted to go fast, I still think about going fast almost all the time. I was about to finally buy a "real" car that I could actually make fast, and now Im gonna push that back for a couple years so I can buy a house for me a my girl instead. So, I guess I have matured. Also, 4 years ago I could only change the oil on MY own vehicle. Now, I fix (or attempt to, lol) cars everyday for a living.

I'd say for sure that my driving habbits have become more "grown up" over time. It's not very often that I'm messing around on the street anymore (unless Erik is around :o), and when I was younger that happened much more.

I think the biggest change is that I came to be more realistic about goals for a car before going crazy on mods. I now plan what I want the car to be before modifying it and try to stick to that plan. For instance I knew that I wanted my M3 to be a good street/track car and stuck to that with the mods. I got to the point where I wanted to do some things to make it faster on the track, but that would have made it much less streetable, so I got the FD to move forward on the track. Same applies to the FD, the turbos are blown on it, but instead of going full tilt on a single setup I'm replacing the twins because it's already got more power than I want/need for what it's main purpose is.

I'll be honest I've always wanted to have a fast drag car, but it just wasn't high up enough in my priorities list for me to spend the required money on....maybe that'll be my mid-life crisis.

It is amazing watching how tastes have grown into something respectable (Berto, Scotty, etc.) yet we still maintain a fun factor in things. It also has to do with our environments and the ever-changing real world factors.

I love my car. It's the longest I've owned any one car in the 20+ I've had and I don't plan on getting rid of it. Is it fast? Yeah, although not the fastest around. I don't care. It makes me happy and it still gets plenty of attention plus I enjoy driving it.

It's been a long road since my Z28 and Radio Shack/Arbys/etc. I'm really happy on how I, my vehicles, and CR have turned out overall.

I'd choose comfort over the whole speed factor. Back in the day I'd flock to something I thought was cool as hell, but now I'd rather be different than the status quo. I'm leaning more and more to the old school rat rod style or GM A-body vs. New aged LSX powered rides.

(Always have to bring up the damn Honda :p)

I'd choose comfort over the whole speed factor. Back in the day I'd flock to something I thought was cool as hell, but now I'd rather be different than the status quo. I'm leaning more and more to the old school rat rod style or GM A-body vs. New aged LSX powered rides.

(Always have to bring up the damn Honda :p)

I would love to have a rat rod. The idea of an old-school hotrod that you can beat on is great. :) Not to mention they just look cool. I'd love to build one. But I lack the donor car... the shop... tools and equipment... etc.

Damn, those are so cool...

When I was 17 I bought a Geo Storm... salvage title .. .for like 300 bucks... fixed it up some but basically just drove it. Then i came along this guy that was selling a 1990 Ford Taurus SHO, for those who don't know... they are 3.0L 24v DOHC (Yahama Engine :D). Had about 100k on it if im remembering it correctly. He took like 600 plus my Geo Storm that had a broken motor mount. At the time it was a very good deal. I loved that car... it was a 5 spd and ran awesome and not to mention it had all leather and was one of the most comfortable cars I have ever drove. I drove it like i stole it. Doing all kinds of stupid things that i look back and think how luck i am to still be here.

Then I moved to columbus for college in 2003. Drove it until about the end of 2005 and it was completely falling apart. The engine still ran awesome just the rest of the car fell apart. I had to let it go... gave it up for 250 bucks and bought my 1997 ranger. Its just a 4 banger 5speed. I have put about 100k on it since i bought it back in 2005 however I love it as a daily driver. With some good tires it goes fine in the snow (extremely fun) and is very reliable. In 100k miles only think i have done is replace the battery, alternator, and pcv. It has NO power but its fine with me for a DD.

Then in 2006 right after i graduated college i bought the mustang. Got it up in Toledo. The only thing done was gears. Flash forward to now, it has new engine(5.4), cams and working on a spec stage 2+ clutch and a Kenne Bell this winter.

One thing that I have tried to do with my cars (i know they are not impressive :)) is to keep them drivable on the street. I have worked since i was 15 and have earned everything i have now. I worked 40+ hours a week when i was a full time student in college. I know there are others out there that(probably had it tougher) however for me its something I take great pride in and have no regrets and am happy where i am now.

Its very hard for me to spend tons of money on something that i can't stand to drive. Horsepower really doesn't matter to me if i can't stand to drive it on the street.

This is kinda of my last winter project for a while. Getting married in Auguest and going to start focusing on other things. Still plan on being a part of the car community and track days for sure, but going to focus the funds on other things like a bigger house (hopefully bigger garage :D) and more "practical" things for a while.

Like most peoples story... there seems to be a very evident trend ... LIFE... it happens... we change, get board, get "smart"....etc.. so thats my story.

Sorry guys this was so long... thanks for reading :)

You know, you hit it almost exactly for me, too. I know my car is not, and never will be, the fastest around. But it's fast for what it is, and I enjoy the hell out of it.

When I have money, I'll buy a second car for the stupid-fast part of my soul.

Twelve years ago, I owned a Probe. And liked it.:o

I'd choose comfort over the whole speed factor.

No doubt. As soon as spring comes I'm putting the WRX up for sale so I can get back into a big slow COMFORTABLE truck. Fuck small cars, I don't care how fast it is, or at least could be. I want something that I can drive for a couple hours and not fall out of, wanting to die from being sore.

Just saying it's a very common opinion of those that have never done it.

Not being into it is fine, saying it requires more power than skill is asinine.

It takes more than hp. As a matter of fact, the more hp you have, the harder the 1/4 is in relation. I don't think many of you understand much of the fine detail and tuning that must be put into a car for competitive drag racing, not to mention reaction times, proper shifting, etc. You cannot, I repeat, CANNOT pass judgement on drag racing if you haven't even gotten near the single digits.

And honestly, this goes for most forms of racing. They all have their particular skill sets/needs. Even fucking Nascar. :D

No doubt. As soon as spring comes I'm putting the WRX up for sale so I can get back into a big slow COMFORTABLE truck. Fuck small cars, I don't care how fast it is, or at least could be. I want something that I can drive for a couple hours and not fall out of, wanting to die from being sore.

THere are things more comfortable than a truck. And now that you're used to driving the WRX, next time you go to turn a left corner in a truck, it's going to feel like you're shooting out the passenger door. :p

I started out in a camaro. Shit I've had 4 or 5 of them .. only 1 v8 in the whole bunch. Some how I moved to the WRX. I think it was mainly a thing of I can make power safely and drive it daily rain sleet snow !!!!!

My tastes have changed even in the time I've had my wrx. I've really really really wanted to get me a comfy daily subbiew.

i would say i have changed brands. my dad bleeds mopar,but i have always like hondas since i was 15 when i got my first crx. i have had nothing but hondas up until 3 years ago i got my first mustang. i have always like mopars but never wanted one because of the price. im not gonna lie if i see a high horsepower honda(500whp+) it does catch my attention. i have just moved on and i think its not for me.