If you are looking for a nice AR-15 without the markup?

1fast5gp

when do you use the forward assist? i can see using it if you pull the bolt open half an inch or so to see if there is a shell in there. the bolt may not close 100%, so you push it in with the FA...

but if a cartridge isnt fitting in there or something, id think the last thing you want to do is force it?

Yes you are right and both

when do you use the forward assist? i can see using it if you pull the bolt open half an inch or so to see if there is a shell in there. the bolt may not close 100%, so you push it in with the FA...

but if a cartridge isnt fitting in there or something, id think the last thing you want to do is force it?

I asked Greg the same question the other day. He said in older models, when you let go of the T-latch it wouldn't always slam all the way closed, so the forward assist was added for a fast and simple way to be sure it was closed up. More of a military need I guess.

I asked Greg the same question the other day. He said in older models, when you let go of the T-latch it wouldn't always slam all the way closed, so the forward assist was added for a fast and simple way to be sure it was closed up. More of a military need I guess.

or you get popped in the nose by the charging handle...ask me how I know this