What new car to get?

Trouble Maker

Might as well just get the Cummins. Do it right!

:D

I want an '06 for the updated interior, but that engine would shove the price up above what I can afford. Trust me, if I could afford it I'd have one already.

I've done a car that gets 23mpg average using premium for the last 5 years. During winter (also driving to mad river every Saturday) I've had months were I spent $500-$600 on gas. Not just a month, but months. It seemed more than completely ass backwards to spend more a month on gas than my car payment was. Have fun with that.

Then just admit to yourself that you've misplaced your man-card and buy a Prius with a bicycle rack strapped to the back. That's what you really want, you just can't bring yourself to say it.

My WRX also averages 23 MPG, and I've been driving it for two years. It also requires premium fuel. I'd rather be in something that I am completely comfortable in, and it would also mean I can go from having a DD car and a truck for hauling the ATV, to having a single vehicle.

BTW, the '06+ HEMI's have displacement on demand. Whatever slight mileage difference there may be between that and the WRX is made up for by the fact that it's also 20 cents a gallon cheaper.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like to point out, I do like VW's especially for their fit and finish. while the price may be somewhat competitive with its competition, albeit on the higher side. VW usually makes up for it in their maintenance costs. Last i saw a simply 30k mile checkup on my 05 Jetta costs around $550. Sure you could get the service done elsewhere but threaten voiding the warranty at the sametime.

I actually like the Fit. As for the "it looks gay, or its a girls car". I drive a jetta and an eclipse... I know bitch cars when I see them. Just buy a black one with optional 17inch wheels and tint the windows and your good to go :)

The 2.5 Rabbits are much more reliable and cheaper to maintain than VW's usual turbo engines.

Also, if you are going to the dealer for ANY of your regular maint, I pitty you. As long as you have the receipts of the maint parts such as oil, filters, etc, your warranty is fine. The ONLY services that I would go to anyone for would be the transmission flush, cooling system flush and brake system flush. Oil, filter, air filter, cabin filter, fuel filter, spark plugs etc are all 5-45 minute jobs.

I will agree that in general VW's are more expensive to maintain over the long haul, you do get much more out of their cars than you do the competition. IMHO of course, and I am an avid Audi/VW fan. So far I have only NOT done the DSG service myself.

The 2.5 Rabbits are much more reliable and cheaper to maintain than VW's usual turbo engines.

Also, if you are going to the dealer for ANY of your regular maint, I pitty you. As long as you have the receipts of the maint parts such as oil, filters, etc, your warranty is fine. The ONLY services that I would go to anyone for would be the transmission flush, cooling system flush and brake system flush. Oil, filter, air filter, cabin filter, fuel filter, spark plugs etc are all 5-45 minute jobs.

I will agree that in general VW's are more expensive to maintain over the long haul, you do get much more out of their cars than you do the competition. IMHO of course, and I am an avid Audi/VW fan. So far I have only NOT done the DSG service myself.

Yeah a VW dealer quoted me that rediculous price. I asked the service writer to detail what exactly would be done. Basically they would replace all the filters and fluid, rotate the tires and an oil change. fucking crazy. Of course I went elsewhere. Its strange I did most of the general maintenance stuff on my 1g Talon but havent really touched my jetta. Maybe Im afraid I'll break it?

You are right though. As a whole VW/Audi's fit and finish are above all else. I think thats really what your paying for when you buy one.

The Rabbit hasn't really ben acknowledged by the OP, so I think its safe to say its not in the cards for him.

To each his own.

Actually I'll go drive it. I don't like the looks as much as the older ones, but it's ok. It's worth going to drive to see how I like it.

Not the least bit interested in the Insight. I think the current Civic is a great car for it's segment, although I don't think it's for me. We have a Civic Hybrid as a fleet car and I HATE that car for so many reasons. If the system in the Insight is anything like it I would never suggest anyone to own one of those. The Insight and the Prius don't even come close to hitting the mark for what I want out of a car. I'm not overly concerned about gas mileage, but If I'm going to buy something new I might as well get something that gets good gas mileage. You can fit shit in Hybrids because of the fact that the back seat doesn't fold down and their trunks are tiny.

Then just admit to yourself that you've misplaced your man-card and buy a Prius with a bicycle rack strapped to the back. That's what you really want, you just can't bring yourself to say it.

No, I just want something that makes sense for what I use a car for and also makes as much economical sense as possible while at the same time being newer and not having to fix shit on it all of the time. You're just not getting what I'm saying.

I've realized that I don't need a certain car or truck to make me a 'man'. I guess that's what you need, I feel sorry for you. I feel really sorry for any girl that gets the displeasure of you trying to please her while you are trying to get it up and can't because of your lack of a new truck.

Fine, be all defensive over your cutesy econo-box while posting about opinions for it on two different racing forums.

BTW, Jack has driven more cars than you ever will in your life. He is paid to write car reviews. He told you the Fit is an overpriced pile of shit. You still want to argue with him about it? Go right on ahead and get what you are dead set on, why are you even bothering to ask people's opinions? ESPECIALLY when every time someone made a suggestion, you shot it down like you won't even consider it, and tried to call out anyone with negative opinions.

Shall I lock this thread for you? It seems to have no purpose.

Actually I'll go drive it. I don't like the looks as much as the older ones, but it's ok. It's worth going to drive to see how I like it.

Well if you can get past the looks (which is funny imho that you like the new Fit, but not the Rabbit) you will be rewarded.

Worth a read.......C&D economy comparison test (Fit not included) http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/sedans/2009_toyota_corolla_vs_ford_focus_vw_rabbit_subaru_impreza_and_four_more_economy_cars_comparison_test/(page)/1

The Rabbit can get 30mpg highway, but not going 80mph. I got about 24 mixed driving my 5 speed and I beat on my car daily. My wife has an auto version and gets 24-26 mixed. She has more city driving than highway.

Hope this helps a bit.

Not the least bit interested in the Insight. I think the current Civic is a great car for it's segment, although I don't think it's for me. We have a Civic Hybrid as a fleet car and I HATE that car for so many reasons. If the system in the Insight is anything like it I would never suggest anyone to own one of those. The Insight and the Prius don't even come close to hitting the mark for what I want out of a car. I'm not overly concerned about gas mileage, but If I'm going to buy something new I might as well get something that gets good gas mileage. You can fit shit in Hybrids because of the fact that the back seat doesn't fold down and their trunks are tiny.

Worth a read: http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?makeid=18&modelid=4487&year=2010&myid=&revid=54412&section=reviews&revlogtype=20

The seats fold down, it's not tiny and it's shaping up to be a huge bang for the buck. Besides, it's a Honda; if you don't like it, it will likely sell for so close to what you paid for it, even after a few years, you will be amazed. That I firmly believe.