GM considering bankruptcy

Casper

Right now, GM is the only company of the Big 3 that's looking like it's TRYING to turn itself around. Watching TV, you see almost nothing out of Dodge/Chrysler and Ford is only selling the F-150 apparently. GM, however is out there directly comparing their offerings to the imports and showing how they are better in some way, with the focus usually on fuel economy.

Looks to me like GM is the only one that WANTS to improve.

I want to pick up some GM stock since it's so cheap, but I think it might go a bit lower. It looks like they have to submit a game plan today, so the pessimists are dumping their stock. We'll see where it goes.

Right now, GM is the only company of the Big 3 that's looking like it's TRYING to turn itself around. Watching TV, you see almost nothing out of Dodge/Chrysler and Ford is only selling the F-150 apparently. GM, however is out there directly comparing their offerings to the imports and showing how they are better in some way, with the focus usually on fuel economy.

Looks to me like GM is the only one that WANTS to improve.

I want to pick up some GM stock since it's so cheap, but I think it might go a bit lower. It looks like they have to submit a game plan today, so the pessimists are dumping their stock. We'll see where it goes.

You've obviously done your research on Ford...this arguement has been had in many other threads.

Unfortunately, GM is on it's deathbed because it should have been trying these things years ago. Ford is 4 years into a "turnaround" program. Neither is perfect, but I'll take Ford's position over GM any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Edit: just a quick question. You are basing your assumption that Ford isn't trying to do things different by watching TV?

What, you don't think people should make $85,000 a year to install bumper covers and stick knobs on radios?

You're an idiot.

a 85K year is 52 weeks of at least 80 hours a week.

(yes, i know this, i used to work there)

The people who ARE making that much work thier asses off.

You're an idiot.

a 85K year is 52 weeks of at least 80 hours a week.

(yes, i know this, i used to work there)

The people who ARE making that much work thier asses off.

If you seriously think that everyone making 85k dollars a year at GM is worth it you have bumped your head.....

You've obviously done your research on Ford...this arguement has been had in many other threads.

Unfortunately, GM is on it's deathbed because it should have been trying these things years ago. Ford is 4 years into a "turnaround" program. Neither is perfect, but I'll take Ford's position over GM any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I knew I'd get a response like this...

Edit: just a quick question. You are basing your assumption that Ford isn't trying to do things different by watching TV?

Ahh, at least you took a second look at what I wrote. And my answer to this question is both yes and no.

Let's go back to that other thread... My point there was that American Automotive manufacturers have an image problem. When reliability and technology in cars comes up in discussion, the average Joe is going to think of imports. People in the US do not have faith in the Big 3. And ultimately, it doesn't matter what a company does financially if it can't sell it's products.

This leads to another point I tried to make; People are sheep! John and Jane Smith don't research a car company's financial situation or investment decisions when they buy a car. Most don't research at all. They take an afternoon or weekend off and hit as many dealerships they can before getting frustrated and then buy a car. What dealerships they hit and what cars they look at are going to be influenced by advertisements. So proper advertising is important if GM, Ford, and Chrysler want to change their image and get people to hit their dealerships.

So back to your question.

First , No, I'm not saying Ford is doing NOTHING. But they certainly aren't trying to change their IMAGE.

But, Yes, I think Ford isn't doing anything to improve the basic problem the Big 3 face while GM is. While Ford is essentially saying to the public "If you want a truck, buy our F-150, everything else is as it always has been.", GM is actually trying to change their image by saying "If you're thinking of these imports, check out our cars, they'll surprise you because they're actually better in some respects." Chrysler isn't saying much of anything; apparently business is peachy and everyone thinks they make great cars.

I doubt GM is going anywhere, and it's not a given that when a company declares Chapter 11 that the stock will become worthless (though it's a STRONG possibility.)

Cliff Notes: People are idiots, GM is telling them what to buy, while Ford and Chrysler believe they'll come around due to their innate awesomeness.

I knew I'd get a response like this...

Ahh, at least you took a second look at what I wrote. And my answer to this question is both yes and no.

Let's go back to that other thread... My point there was that American Automotive manufacturers have an image problem. When reliability and technology in cars comes up in discussion, the average Joe is going to think of imports. People in the US do not have faith in the Big 3. And ultimately, it doesn't matter what a company does financially if it can't sell it's products.

This leads to another point I tried to make; People are sheep! John and Jane Smith don't research a car company's financial situation or investment decisions when they buy a car. Most don't research at all. They take an afternoon or weekend off and hit as many dealerships they can before getting frustrated and then buy a car. What dealerships they hit and what cars they look at are going to be influenced by advertisements. So proper advertising is important if GM, Ford, and Chrysler want to change their image and get people to hit their dealerships.

So back to your question.

First , No, I'm not saying Ford is doing NOTHING. But they certainly aren't trying to change their IMAGE.

But, Yes, I think Ford isn't doing anything to improve the basic problem the Big 3 face while GM is. While Ford is essentially saying to the public "If you want a truck, buy our F-150, everything else is as it always has been.", GM is actually trying to change their image by saying "If you're thinking of these imports, check out our cars, they'll surprise you because they're actually better in some respects." Chrysler isn't saying much of anything; apparently business is peachy and everyone thinks they make great cars.

I doubt GM is going anywhere, and it's not a given that when a company declares Chapter 11 that the stock will become worthless (though it's a STRONG possibility.)

Cliff Notes: People are idiots, GM is telling them what to buy, while Ford and Chrysler believe they'll come around due to their innate awesomeness.

I see what you are saying. However, to lump Ford in with Chrysler and say they are not trying is funny to me. Obvioulsy you missed your TV when Ford touts quality equal to Honda and Toyota. The F150 is the best selling vehicle in America, why not try to be proud of that?

I'm also wondering what makes you an expert on why people buy? People buy out of loyalty, pricing, or emotionally.

Those are the big 3. Emotionals encompass perceived reliability issues (feelings), image (feelings) etc. IMHO

I just think it's funny that no matter what the big 3 do to improve a battered image, there is always some import driving guy there to pile on and say they have an image problem. For a guy like you to admit they are doing something right would mean that you might have to think twice about the car you bought.

If you seriously think that everyone making 85k dollars a year at GM is worth it you have bumped your head.....

I have no bumped my head, but do you know the PIA that job is?

No. You dont.

I do.

I have worked it, i have worked those 80 hour week, I have the physical repercussions of it.

And if you think that every single employ makes 85K then YOU have bumped your head.

Most people work 40 hours.. and make 45-50K a year. To me, that doesnt sound unreasonable. Its a comfortable living for someone who maybe doesnt have an education.

Then there are the people who chose to work those 80 hours a week all year round. Those are rare people. They are the people who are take every last bit of overtime that is offered any time.

These are also the people who are living outside of their means, bought 200K houses, 4 cars boats.. whatever..

When i started working at GM, one of the first things the UAW rep told us was DO NOT abuse the money you can possibly make here, you can count on 40 hours a week, but beyond that, OT may not always be there.

Plenty of people ignored that.

Dont be naive, and assume you know what you are talking about, in a situation you know NOTHING about.

I disagree. I actually think Ford is doing a lot to change their image. The image they are portraying today is vastly different than it has been in the past. They are mid-stream into their turn around plan and while I still think they are at major risk financially as the next year of their so-called safe living is going to go by fast and sales won't likely return that soon. Especially when the continue to tout $43k cars.

Ford is doing what Ford started out doing...they are improving and streamlining their processes. They know that efficiencies is what will save them and make them a company capable of competing years from now. Some of the best and most efficient businesses have stemmed from Ford. Next time you eat at McDonalds or TacoBell or KFC, just remember, the operational efficiencies of their operations teams all had Ford on their resume prior to those places. True story.

I think by their plan to bring the Euro cars here will certainly help. Although I don't consider it ground breaking as Mazda essentially has had that time frame edge for a while. Want a Euro Focus, wait for the Ford label or go buy the new 3. Want the Mondeo, go buy a 6., etc.....They will have their work cut out for them though as the competition is really moving ahead strong. I've seen the new Euro Tribute, but I would be way more inclined to by a Toyota Venza or Highlander before the Ford.

In the end, that consolidation will help. GM Better figure that shit out and do it with cars the public wants. The G8 and even the GTO may as well never come here considering how shitty the sales were and are.

GM blows ass anyways... you want stability? Buy German. They had they're economic crisis about 15yrs ago so they are just loving our struggle. So is Russia btw...

haha +1 Im sticking with my german cars for now, Im about to be working for VW and their sales were only down 3% or something crazy like that.

haha +1 Im sticking with my german cars for now, Im about to be working for VW and their sales were only down 3% or something crazy like that.

Somewhere closer to 8 or 10 % but yeah they are a model of strong sales. They've always had pretty popular ad campaigns, that never hurts.

blah blah blah

Are you kidding me?

Ford by far is in the best shape of the Big 3. They are not trying to work on their image?? Really. Seeing as how they have the most model changes of any manufacture I can't see what you are trying to say. Unlike you spouting off inaccurate bullshit that you heard on Fox News I will tell you what Ford has changed and you tell me what GM has.

08 F-250 (all new)

08 Flex (new vehicle)

08 Focus (all new)

08 Escape (all new)

09 F- 150 (all new)

10 Taurus (all new)

10 Fusion (all new *including new hybrid model)

10 Mustang (revised body)

11 Fiesta (new car for the states)

Ford actually posted a 1st quarter profit last year UNLIKE GM. Ford only asked for a line of credit (to use IF NEEDED) unlike GM and Chrysler who asked for money for operating capitol to keep their doors open.

If you want to buy a stock I suggest you buy Ford. Please do yourself a favor and quit watching the news. You should know that they don't air the truth, they air what gets viewers and increases their ad spot value.