How did you learn?

Guest Hal

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad taught my sister and how to do the maintence work on our cars, so we wouldnt have to rely on a man to take care of us, or let a mechanic try and outsmart us when repairs were needed.

One of my fondest memories are my sister and I sitting on top of our Buick Park Ave, changing the starter on it.

Never did, I'm like a fat blind kid looking for chocolate.

i've only had to do small things so far, brakes, hub bolts, belts, oil changes, just regular maintenance. If anything ever really went awry I'd be on the phone right quick

Guest 614Streets
When I was a kid I tore down briggs and statton flatheads and would lap the valves and removed the gov on the carbs so my parents sears riding mowers could pull wheelies. My fist tear around was a 1980 Volvo. I also built my first 350 on a tight budget trading a 410 SHOT GUN FOR 882 HEADS AND FLIPPING THROUGH A NORTHERN AUTO CATALOG BACK BEFORE THE DAYS OF THE INTERNET. I learned alot of shit at Marine school. Combustion engines are boring to me now. I want to get into electric hybrids in 5 yrs.

I would watch/help my step-day before I was old enough to drive.

In HS I would hang out at my friend Ron's place everyday after school and we'd either be working on one of his many POS's (side yard was pretty much a junk yard), working on a bike or we'd be working on/building a sprint car/quarter midget. I really learned quite a bit during those HS days and I've been doing all of my own work ever since.

My dad mostly, but when I came upon car-specific forums I got a little braver, and decided to try more in-depth stuff. From there on out I've taught myself a lot through reading and doing. It helps a lot to have a bigass database of everybody else's successes/failures, and how they did it/fixed it :). Like I said my dad got me started with just oil changes, brake jobs, tune-ups, etc., but now I know quite a bit more than he does.

I've done some things with my Stealth that nobody else had done before, and a few have now tried some of it with the help of my walkthroughs... I've come a long way.

I went to tech school, didn't really learn a ton, just basics. Then I learned a lot just doing things myself after school. Then I got a job at Saturn and had to start doing a lot more difficult work and just learned from my fuck ups. Once your confidence builds up things start going together a lot better than they used to. After about 6 months at Saturn I was rebuilding motors and transmissions. They learned me quick.

I lived on a farm and learned most of my mechanical skills from my dad on repairing farm equipment and this learned turned in to auto restoration later when I was 13 or so. My dad also worked for PPG industries where he was taught the trade of auto refinish, which he passed these skills onto my brother and I. I still cant weld worth a shit compared to my brother and dad.

Its funny to hear how everyone dad taught them this and that. My father could strip a car down the sheet metal, rebuild it, and put it back together alone. Did he teach me anything, no. He was the service manager for Graham Ford for about 20 years and wanted me to have nothing to do with cars. When I asked him about fixing mine he said go buy a book. So I did.

i grew up with my dad always telling me if you can do it yourself then do it to save yourself money. we never had a lot of money when i was growing up (or now for that matter) so i was always fixing up our cars with my dad as well as my go-cart. then when i got my first car i had to do a lot of shit to it just to get it running. i also hung out with my cousin a lot (the late boost-n-juice Brian Carter.) we were always working on the mustang or the bronco or the boat. aways tinkering with something. then i started getting into body work in high school and went to the career center, got pretty good at it. landed a full tuition scholarship to Ohio technical and now graduated here i am with a deploma in auto body and refinishing with custom paint and graphics.