Some of you need this:

Draco-REX

At the DynoTune meet the other day I was seeing all of these otherwise stock-looking cars with these huge shiny intercoolers behind the bumper. Not exactly "stealth". Here's a thread on IWSTI.com about "Thermal Dispersant" paint. It actually improves the ability of metal parts painted with it to give heat to the atmosphere. So you can stealth those tell-tale intercoolers and improve their performance at the same time.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/83695-tic-screwing-around-again.html

Unfortunately, I can't find much other info on Thermal Dispersant Paint. But GrimmSpeed.com does it, they may have more info.

I've always lived by the mantra of "if you've got it, flaunt it" for this kind of stuff.

Agreed. Reminds me of the argument some Z owners have about keeping the "twin turbo" badge on the car. "But I want it to be a sleeper!" I ask... FROM WHOM? The guys in two-color civics with huge wings? I like a shiny FMIC (or SMICs) showing even the slightest bit - makes me happy to see no matter who's car it is.

Agreed. Reminds me of the argument some Z owners have about keeping the "twin turbo" badge on the car. "But I want it to be a sleeper!" I ask... FROM WHOM? The guys in two-color civics with huge wings? I like a shiny FMIC (or SMICs) showing even the slightest bit - makes me happy to see no matter who's car it is.

There really isn't anything that one can do to make an aggressive car like the 300ZX, Supra, etc. look like a sleeper. Trying to do so is an oxymoron. These cars were built to look intimidating and fast.

Paint really won't do much since the primary method of cooling is forced convection.

You could argue that a thick enough coat of paint could add to the contact resistance between the the air (media) and core (substrate). In a real world test, I would bet that if you avoided thick layer of any paint -- you wouldn't see any huge differences.

Oddly enough, painting it black may increase radial energy and actually aid in cooling, again, probably not much.

Why Hide your shit...? Run cars that are as fast as you otherwise you arnt proving anything....

I got an earful about "hustle" in another thread, so I figured there would be more interest in this. I'm not saying they SHOULD be stealthed, just offering it as an option.

Paint really won't do much since the primary method of cooling is forced convection.

You could argue that a thick enough coat of paint could add to the contact resistance between the the air (media) and core (substrate). In a real world test, I would bet that if you avoided thick layer of any paint -- you wouldn't see any huge differences.

Oddly enough, painting it black may increase radial energy and actually aid in cooling, again, probably not much.

Well, you can increase effciency a number of ways. One is to increase surface area. But this stuff supposedly acts as an improved interface between the metal and the air. Aluminum already does a great job of releasing heat; which is why many CPU fans are copper cored (moves and distributes heat better than aluminum) with aluminum fins (releases heat into the air better than copper). I wouldn't be surprised if silver was a main component since it handles and dissipates heat better than both aluminum and copper. But supposedly there have been noticeable improvements in temps using this special paint, so it must work.

Its something I would defiantly consider if I turboed a car that isnt turboed stock. More so for just shits and giggles. Who doesn't enjoy thoroughly destroying someone who thinks they are gonna whup your ass?

Something like an STI and so on where people know its turboed, its kind of pointless.

Dont worry man, Ive already decided a while ago that if I were to ever build a boosted vehicle, that I would definitely "stealth" mode the intercooler. Not so much to "hustle" people but, more because I like things to look simple. (ok, maybe just a little bit to hustle people. hehe)