Econ Question about cars

Bam

My econ prof threw this one at us today, told us to think about it and give a reasonable amount and reason, as well as survey 10 people to get a range.

How much is a (your) car worth to you each day? $1/day, $5/day, $10/day, more?

If you think about it, avg month is 30 days, so even at $5/day, that's $150 a month.

Is that all your car costs you each month? This is including gas/insurance/upkeep/car payment, etc....what do you really think your car costs you each day, and is it worth it?

Serious answers please, guesstimate is fine.

For me, I figure it's between $7/day on my pd off car, and $19/day on my other car that I have a car payment on...so together $26/day or $780/month, holy shit. Definitely don't think that's worth it, but what you gonna do.

wow interesting, mine costs me about 16bucks a day. that includes insurance/payment/gas.

that, however, doesnt include the rest that i put in the car. nearly 90% of my money is somehow related to my car lol

My car pays me $77 when you figure out how much time I would be wasting walking to work. Figured with my hourly wage times the amount of time it would take me to walk minus the time it takes to drive.

Thats retarded........You wouldn't work less if you walked to work, you would leave earlier. You can't use your hourly rate unless you would get paid that to walk to work.

My car is $18.30/day with gas and insurance. I still owe on the car. Its hard to say if it is worth it or not because I need a car, and like my car. So if I had a car I didn't like, I wouldn't want to pay the daily rate, and I would rather not have a monthly car payment on my current car. I guess I accept the price, but would like it lower.

My car pays me $77 when you figure out how much time I would be wasting walking to work. Figured with my hourly wage times the amount of time it would take me to walk minus the time it takes to drive.

Nice, but I'm assuming you have a good paying job, or your car is paid off and you don't hardly do any driving, insurance is cheap, and no maintenance? Probably not the average, but thanks for the input.

Thats retarded........You wouldn't work less if you walked to work, you would leave earlier. You can't use your hourly rate unless you would get paid that to walk to work.

My car is $18.30/day with gas and insurance. I still owe on the car. Its hard to say if it is worth it or not because I need a car, and like my car. So if I had a car I didn't like, I wouldn't want to pay the daily rate, and I would rather not have a monthly car payment on my current car. I guess I accept the price, but would like it lower.

He asked what it is worth to me. Not what the real math is. Most people value their time, especially their time spent not working. Also I could definitely use that time with my hourly rate if the time spent walking prevented me from working overtime (and use 1.5 hourly rate).

Anyway I figure it costs me $18.67/day of real money. Loan payment (until next month) plus insurance, plus gasoline, plus maintenance guesstimate.

15.67 on my cavalier. now my talon.. don't want to think of that cause some months I have dropped upwards of 3 g's down, and other months like 500 or more. its the problem with owning a heavily modified car that breaks down a lot.

Guest tbutera2112

17 dollars covers gas and insurance on the truck per day...definately worth it

its about 20 dollars a day if i include insurance for the mustang, but i dont drive it so i dont add gas to that

plus the 4-5 grand ive dropped into it over the last 8 months lol

oh and you have to factor in maintenance costs for the vehicles

really...this question is dumb... theres WAY too many variables

what if something breaks? or you pop a tire? etc

17 dollars covers gas and insurance on the truck per day...definately worth it

its about 20 dollars a day if i include insurance for the mustang, but i dont drive it so i dont add gas to that

plus the 4-5 grand ive dropped into it over the last 8 months lol

oh and you have to factor in maintenance costs for the vehicles

really...this question is dumb... theres WAY too many variables

what if something breaks? or you pop a tire? etc

Tyler, don't get your panties in a bunch, lol. Its just supposed to be an estimate.