What vehicle platform needs attention in Columbus?

DTM Brian

True that. GIAC has better performance gains too from what I've seen.

I had the option to do that, but decided to just drive to Chicago and let them do it there. (Its a different place that just happens to be in Chicago also). It is a cool idea but it takes longer since you have to log, send logs, receive tune, rinse, repeat. I prefer to have the tuner in my car, actually doing it hands on. Also keeps me from having to top out 3rd gear on the street to get some logs. :D

The company I was speaking of prefers to do thier remote custom tunes live on a 3rd party dyno. They send out a laptop with their tuning software on it and a wireless card to connect and send data back real time. Granted you have to pay for local dyno time on top of the tune...but they get immediate updates / logs, etc. Saves you Time for the drive, money for gas and money for a possible overnight stay. Most tunes done in 1-2 hours.

I won't get into the GIAC / APR debate or the debate over who you have to get them from. Both are good and the presence of APR surely wouldn't be a bad thing in the local market BUT...neither is really a custom tune either.

Andy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about RX7's? My buddies is needing retuned bad right now. Yes it's a rotary powered car.

I'd have him look at one of the rotary specific shops in town. (Rx7 Store, Defined Autoworks). As for Brian I would STAY AWAY from rotaries....seriously, this is coming from an owner here.

edit: Andy beat me to the second part, no need to restate.

3800's... ;) Haha.

Well, I've been looking at something LSX (Go figure) like an 03-05 Zo6. But also at G35's, Audis' or even a M3... So with that being said, I'd have to agree that either the Nissan or VW/ Audi tuning would be the way to go.....

OR find a way to tune 35+ MPG into cars...

I'm all for it for obvious reasons, but from a business standpoint, considering the MS3 & MS6 were produced in limited numbers to begin with, the market here is relatively small. Again, not sure what the costs to get into it would be, but I know roughly on 5k units per year were sold.

what Tim said, Id like to get my car tuned because from the factory the cars run ungodly rich, id have no way to tune it however unless the OEM PCM got re flashed.

He's been to the RX7 store, don't think he's had any problems with them but he asked me if I knew anyone that did tuning on these cars so I thought I'd ask.

Tell him to visit Defined Autoworks, they're a vendor on here. And they rule.

GIAC = Offers no Test-Pipe Tunes...

But I tend to agree they tend to push the envelope a bit more on boost/timing, and people tend to "believe" that APR has a milder tune. If it wasn't for the TP/Exhaust files I probably would have doe GIAC though.

GIAC = Offers no Test-Pipe Tunes...

But I tend to agree they tend to push the envelope a bit more on boost/timing, and people tend to "believe" that APR has a milder tune. If it wasn't for the TP/Exhaust files I probably would have doe GIAC though.

Yep i tried to get my A4 giac flashed at auto assets and chip said no since I had a test pipe, so I went APR and loved it. I know GIAC is a bit more "aggressive" of a tune but apr has such a smooth power band.

i'm not sure what's out there right now that needs attention, but be prepared for the ford ecoboost cars. i'm expecting some good stuff out of those!

you mentioned Mazdas, does anybody locally work with the MS3 and MS6? There's obviously performance potential with those platforms and the owners are likely to want to go that route (I'm saying this because they bought the fun/performance car to begin with).

Currently I believe that COBB offers a programmer for the vehicle that seems to be the way to go, but is there an option to custom tune those platforms? I would think that good experience with tuning direct injection setups would likely lend itself well into the DI engines from BMW and other manufacturers going that way.

i was following the mazdaspeed cars for a long time, and no one had cracked them yet. there were some piggybacks and some sorta kinda tunes(only limited to a few perameters if i remember right, COBB being one of them), but no one was able to do a full custom. i havn't checked on these cars in a little bit though(it gets pretty boring reading 50 pages of "i have a $500,000 mazdaspeed engine built out of titanium and diamonds, who can tune it?"), so maybe there was a break through recently. i have my doubts though. so unfortunate too, those cars are so cool(i want an MS6!!!) and direct injection is definatly the future of performance!