Protecting your feet?

Radio Flyer1647545514

I'm not planning on wearing tennis shoes, I was more interested in a riding shoe.

I see that some of you wear them.

So to you boot people. Riding shoes Vs. Boots, what's the deal?

Its a matter of comfort or convenience. Some people don't like wearing the full out boots all the time because if you're going to be walking around they are a little hard to maneuver in but they do offer the best protection hands down. Others prefer the shoes because they flex a little more so walking around in them isn't difficult at all and they are more stylish and won't be as awkward in public, they don't offer as much protection as the full boots though but are better then regular boots and/or shoes.

Its a matter of comfort or convenience. Some people don't like wearing the full out boots all the time because if you're going to be walking around they are a little hard to maneuver in but they do offer the best protection hands down. Others prefer the shoes because they flex a little more so walking around in them isn't difficult at all and they are more stylish and won't be as awkward in public, they don't offer as much protection as the full boots though but are better then regular boots and/or shoes.

Exactly.

In my case I tried out several of the shoes at IP and decided that all of the shoes that seemed to provide the support I wanted were pretty "flashy" and really didn't offer much more flexibility off the bike than a good pair of light boots. So I went the with boots, but different people have different feet so it's probably a good idea to try out a bunch of different options - especially since some of those shoes are pretty damn expensive.

I first started with a set of steel toed boots, then a set of alpinestars, currently I run Sidi B2s. THe only complaint I have with the Sidi's is they do get a bit hot. I've spent entire days on my feet walking around in them and never really got uncomfortable. The toes on motorcycle boots tend to be made a bit slimmer to better accommodate shifting. Truthfully though do note that snapping the ankle it will never operate the same, it's similar to how if you break your wrist you usually can't really build up more strength than what you had in it before you broke it.

Fwiw Mid-Ohio track days specify riding boots that fully cover the ankle.