fire pits - your thought on this wording?

evan9381

checked the city website about fire pits, and i see this

Exceptions:

1. Fires in approved containers (i.e. containers approved by the fire official as safe for open

burning) that are not less than 15 feet (4572 mm) from a structure.

2. The minimum required distance from a structure shall be 25 feet (7620 mm) where the pile size is 3

feet (914 mm) or less in diameter and 2 feet (610mm) or less in height.

so if i built a pit from stone pavers thats ~2' tall, and maybe 30" inside diameter, would that fall under an "approved container" that would only have to be 15' from my house, or would that fall into the 2nd category? to me, it seems like the 2nd category is talking about just burning a pile on the ground not contained by anything...

heres the full page for reference

http://fire.ci.columbus.oh.us/Bureaus/FPB/fire_prevention_bureau_faq.htm

In my opinion this law is only in place to keep people from lighting fires on open ground, the sidewalk, in trash cans, etc. . If you think about it, what you're talking about building is way safer and more "approvable" than some of the sketchy fire pits sold at Lowes and Home Depot. Some of those damn things are barely six inches deep and made of super thin pot metal....I would really only be concerned about the distance from the house.

On a side note, we built a gigantic fire on my buddy's farm when I was 18. It was almost full length pine trees they lost in the ice storm, that we spent two days building teepee style into a super burnable structure. We kept the surrounding ground sprayed down with the hose and tried to make it safe. Even so, after about an hour someone on rt. 33 ( over 2 miles away ) called 911 and reported it as a house fire lol. The fire dept came and scolded us, but could not put it out. They had to go back and get the "foam truck" lol.

I guess what I'm saying is don't do that ^^ and you'll be fine :).

I would say you should be fine since just about everyone has one now days. But to be safe, contact the local fire department and ask them. If they don't have a problem with it, no one else should.

I built mine out of concrete pavers and it has worked great.

I used an old tree stump in my back yard, threw some bricks around it and wha-la a fire pit. Been like that for over a year and no one has complained or came to the house. Mine is probably 15 feet from the deck and 8-10 away from my garage.

On a side note, we built a gigantic fire on my buddy's farm when I was 18. It was almost full length pine trees they lost in the ice storm, that we spent two days building teepee style into a super burnable structure. We kept the surrounding ground sprayed down with the hose and tried to make it safe. Even so, after about an hour someone on rt. 33 ( over 2 miles away ) called 911 and reported it as a house fire lol. The fire dept came and scolded us, but could not put it out. They had to go back and get the "foam truck" lol.

dude, was that elflines house? if it was i was there lol.

In UA, I have a neighbor that buried (countersank) an old semi truck steel rim in his backyard, then surrounded it with stones. He's had some nice fires that you can clearly see and smell from around the neighborhood and no one's ever complained.

dont worry about it too much. pick up some wall stone build it and your done. pick up some split n stack or brussel dimensional tapered wall stone from mr mulch. Make sure you glue it as well. Dont buy the UNILOCK glue it is more expensive. The same stuff is for sale at Lowes called Titebond.