What's a good/free virus software package?

Buck531

Install AVG Free

Malwarebytes

SuperAntispyware

and you'll be fine. just schedule them to run at a set time, say while you eat dinner or something, when you're done you can see what they find and keep your PC clean on a regular basis.

For a good while AVG was rated about the best among free anti-virus software. They're really nice cause you can setup stuff like scheduled scans and auto delete or quarantine. Also if u get the free edition instead of paying they dont pester u to upgrade like a lot of other free programs do.

On top of that I'd install a free adware blocker like ad-aware.

You should be good with that setup

Why are you going away from NAV Corp?

KillJoy

Its a whore of a pig with resources and doesn't catch shit?

As far as AVG sucking.. I use all three of the programs i listed on three different computers currently. I wont be a fanboi, but its still my favorite of the three.

But, i also havent had any problems with any of the three at all, so, im content to continue using it.

I'm always open to new information. AVG has served me well for 5 or 6 years, and never cost me a dime. But if there are better free options out there I'm all ears. Why does AVG suck?

I've used it faithfully for years as well. I download a lot of scripts, etc from warez sites everyday. Seen a thread where people were talking about AVG not picking up as good as it used to and that Avira was king so I decided to install it on a separate computer. Everything I'd download on one computer I'd download on the other as well. Avira was picking things off left and right where AVG would let them slide.

I know some things are false positives but these were worms. For what I do on a daily basis Avira has proven to be best for me. AVG is pretty bloated now days too

I'd say read up and use which ever one you think would do you best

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?threadID=284162

http://www.hwdot.com/avast-home-vs-avira-antivir-personal-vs-avg-free-can-i-use-all-3-apps-on-one-pc/